Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread includes all posts for 2016 onwards. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread is here. The 2015 thread is here.

This card is no longer available to new applicants!

Bonus category spending is now capped at $50,000 per year.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex.

Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

Excessive MS on this card may sever your ties with Amex. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500 spend in a reward year, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases (5% after 6500⁴), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

⁴ 5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 23 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 2B or back in coach
Can you reapply? Yes

Can you have a Blue Everyday and an Old Amex Blue? Yes

Will you get approved? YMMV
Will it be uncapped? Hell no
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:07 am

The past two or three statement, the reward has not been shown after statement day for at least a week. unlike it is usually a couple business days after statement day. does that happen to you also ?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SW Companion
Originally Posted by Bzzz
The past two or three statement, the reward has not been shown after statement day for at least a week. unlike it is usually a couple business days after statement day. does that happen to you also ?
Yup...last few months.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:47 am

My statement closed on 1/22. Still has not shown up
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by sosamo
It takes 10-12 days now.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
It takes 10-12 days now.
+1, that's how long my last one took.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

wow that's 14 days. they are really stretching it.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz
wow that's 14 days. they are really stretching it.
Yup. I am not worried. But I think this is the longest it has been.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: All of them
Yup. I am not worried. But I think this is the longest it has been.
It seems to be getting longer. Soon it'll be 2 whole months from earning to cashing out.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
It seems to be getting longer. Soon it'll be 2 whole months from earning to cashing out.
They have to find some way to agitate MSers... Shut down here, knee cap there, close the best route to loop funds, oh, and hey, while we're at it... lets make 'em sweat about whether they will ever see those funds they squirmed so hard to procure...

Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug...
We're the bug here... SPLAT
Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:29 am

They have had a bad year. Taken together all of these minor actions (delays, shutdowns, reduced benefits on plat) point to internal troubles. AMEX isn't what it once was.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
They have had a bad year. Taken together all of these minor actions (delays, shutdowns, reduced benefits on plat) point to internal troubles. AMEX isn't what it once was.
I know... sad... just seems like they are taking it out on the hobby all at once. Of course, they hobby cost them money and that's not why a business is in business!
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:08 am

My blue cash everyday just paid out today for statement closed 1/22. Looks like 16 days now+1 month statement lag.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by svsfan
My blue cash everyday just paid out today for statement closed 1/22. Looks like 16 days now+1 month statement lag.
Same for me (statement closed 1/22, rewards posted today (on Sunday, so maybe business days aren't relevant)). (I'm talking about my Old Blue Cash (actually old "Cash Rebate" card that has the OBC rules), not Blue Cash Everyday.)

The rewards shown on my January statement are weird; "Total Qualified Spend This Reward Year" shows the same number as my December statement (the total is under $50k; and I did get rewards, they're just not shown in this total). And I thought my new reward year started with the purchases on my December statement (card anniversary in November), so I should get 1% until I reach $6500, but the statement shows 5%.

Last edited by sbft77; Feb 7, 2016 at 3:41 pm
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:55 am

With use of Paypal cards bought CVS causing issues (in large quantities), where is everyone using this particular CC?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.