Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread includes all posts for 2016 onwards. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread is here. The 2015 thread is here.

This card is no longer available to new applicants!

Bonus category spending is now capped at $50,000 per year.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex.

Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

Excessive MS on this card may sever your ties with Amex. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500¹ spend in a reward year², you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases³ (5% after 6500⁴), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

¹ First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

³ 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

⁴ 5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2016, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msthegame
Is this normal? My first statement closed, didn't get rewards credited until second statement plus 10 days, the second statement shows only rewards earned in the last statement, now I'm in the dark about what I earned in the latest statement until a new statement posts and then I have to wait additional 10 days for the actual cash back to post?
You shouldn't have to be in the dark. Just do what they do for you... keep a spreadsheet
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:35 am

Yeah, this is my first time on this card and am racking up all the purchases. Just don't want to be surprised that my purchases didn't count or something and all my effort was a waste.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
The new normal is about 12 days
It's taking forever--my last took 11 days. Makes me wonder what airline credits look like on Plat and PRG.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by susieling
Does the annual cap 50k (on the 5% everyday spending) include the initial 6500 spend or exclude it? In other words, if my first 6500 is also on those everyday spending category (supermarket/drugstore), can I still get 5% on the next 50k spend or it is only going to be 50k-6.5k=43.5k?
1. Was there a definitive answer to this question?

2. In my case, The first 6,500 was AMEX gift card purchases. Can I expect to receive 5% back on Rewards Dollars for $50,000 in Everyday purchases or for $43,500 in Everyday purchases during the 12 month cycle?

Thanks for your expertise and time in responding.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL DM-1MM HH Diamond
Originally Posted by atc1

2. In my case, The first 6,500 was AMEX gift card purchases. Can I expect to receive 5% back on Rewards Dollars for $50,000 in Everyday purchases or for $43,500 in Everyday purchases during the 12 month cycle?

$50,000 regardless of where the first $6500 was spent.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
It's taking forever--my last took 11 days. Makes me wonder what airline credits look like on Plat and PRG.
Airline credit for Platinum and PRG took 3-4 business days after purchase post.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by sosamo
Airline credit for Platinum and PRG took 3-4 business days after purchase post.
Yes, completed those a week ago. Plat took 2-4 days for me (after it posted). PRG was 2 days.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:43 am

One of the business programs reporting that AMEX revenues DOWN 7.59% in the 1ST QTR compared to last year, and they dropped their guidance for all of both 2016 & 2017 revenue projections.

Karma is a b*tch.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:35 pm

BC rewards interface much more efficient now. Displayed max statement credit in one-click...
Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sybloc
BC rewards interface much more efficient now. Displayed max statement credit in one-click...
It's great they got that done for MY LAST STATEMENT.

Well, I guess I'll also appreciate it once a year when I max out the 50k
Old Jan 26, 2016, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz
It's great they got that done for MY LAST STATEMENT.

Well, I guess I'll also appreciate it once a year when I max out the 50k
I would suggest cashing out your rewards monthly not annually. People really got screwed in the 2014 shutdowns that had thousands of accumulated rewards that weren't cashing out on a regular basis. Who knows if that will happen again, but it's best to be safe.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by atc1 View Post

Originally Posted by 2B or back in coach
$50,000 regardless of where the first $6500 was spent.
I just want to make sure I completely comprehend this response. You answer implies I will receive 5% cash back on $50,000.00 in Everyday purchases during the 12 month cycle. The total purchases during the 12 month cycle will be $56,500.00. Am I correct?

Last edited by atc1; Jan 26, 2016 at 2:02 pm
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by atc1
Originally Posted by atc1 View Post

I just want to make sure I completely comprehend this response. You answer implies I will receive 5% cash back on $50,000.00 in Everyday purchases during the 12 month cycle. The total purchases during the 12 month cycle will be $56,500.00. Am I correct?
You comprehend correctly.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:57 am

My old blue was cancelled on May last year. Could I reapply this card? I opened blue everyday last Oct.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by ericliujian
My old blue was cancelled on May last year. Could I reapply this card? I opened blue everyday last Oct.
Can you reapply? Yes

Can you have a Blue Everyday and an Old Amex Blue? Yes

Will you get approved? YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.