Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread includes all posts for 2016 onwards. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread is here. The 2015 thread is here.

This card is no longer available to new applicants!

Bonus category spending is now capped at $50,000 per year.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex.

Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

Excessive MS on this card may sever your ties with Amex. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500ą spend in a reward year˛, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchasesł (5% after 6500⁴), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

ą First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

ł 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

⁴ 5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by cwh82
Thanks. I was really trying to ease into it since my reward year just started on 12/3. Then I saw GCM deal and decided to just knock out the $6500 right away. I'll slow it down considering I have 11 months to do the $50k. Thanks again.
I haven't been following this thread exactly, but I haven't seen any indication that amex is cracking down on this card (outside of the yearly limit). I spread out my purchases because I'm timing them with gas deals. However I believe the winning strategy is to not spread it out over the full year... better to get your money now since you don't know what the future will hold in 8 months, when they may be cracking down. My purchases are usually over 5K on this card. I have better things to do than to wait in a line to buy one card.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
I haven't been following this thread exactly, but I haven't seen any indication that amex is cracking down on this card (outside of the yearly limit). I spread out my purchases because I'm timing them with gas deals. However I believe the winning strategy is to not spread it out over the full year... better to get your money now since you don't know what the future will hold in 8 months, when they may be cracking down. My purchases are usually over 5K on this card. I have better things to do than to wait in a line to buy one card.
5K Purchase at a grocery store seems so weird to me. How do you normally do that? I would think the slow and steady route would be better than a few large purchases that don't make sense.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:13 am

I get a bunch of gift cards. My experiences in MS have taught me that all things being equal, go big, and don't waste time trying to fool the system. Most of the people that try to be "helpful" by making small purchases get shut down with the rest of us. The biggest danger is something going away, or wasting away your profit margin by making countless trips. Economy of scale is the way to go. Statistically you are unlikely to be the first one to get caught if they are manually targeting, and unlikely to avoid being caught if it is systematic.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
I get a bunch of gift cards. My experiences in MS have taught me that all things being equal, go big, and don't waste time trying to fool the system. Most of the people that try to be "helpful" by making small purchases get shut down with the rest of us. The biggest danger is something going away, or wasting away your profit margin by making countless trips. Economy of scale is the way to go. Statistically you are unlikely to be the first one to get caught if they are manually targeting, and unlikely to avoid being caught if it is systematic.
Not necessarily true. With the WF 5% card, after I got the initial warning, I went slow, 1 gc at a time, and survived closure and got all my cashback. The previous time I had the WF card, after I got the initial warning, I slowed down only a little, and got shut down within days. Not sure about other cards, but true for WF after their initial warning.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by tontod
Not necessarily true. With the WF 5% card, after I got the initial warning, I went slow, 1 gc at a time, and survived closure and got all my cashback. The previous time I had the WF card, after I got the initial warning, I slowed down only a little, and got shut down within days. Not sure about other cards, but true for WF after their initial warning.
What kind of volume were you doing on the WF card?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:45 am

What kind of volume were you doing on the WF card?
Was probably getting $2k every 3-4 days. That, and combined with cycling my CL 2-3x is probably what got their attention.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:50 am

Was probably getting $2k every 3-4 days. That, and combined with cycling my CL 2-3x is probably what got their attention.
Don't want to threadjack or go too off topic but had an interesting conversation with an Alliant rep yesterday. I just set up a checking account and called in regarding some questions and she asked if I would be interested in the Alliant 3% Visa Signature. She was pushing the card pretty hard and actually stated "someone earned $2700 in cashback with this card last month alone." Wonder if they're more lenient to MS now or she just failed to mention that someone is now an ex-customer.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:35 am

Don't want to threadjack or go too off topic but had an interesting conversation with an Alliant rep yesterday. I just set up a checking account and called in regarding some questions and she asked if I would be interested in the Alliant 3% Visa Signature. She was pushing the card pretty hard and actually stated "someone earned $2700 in cashback with this card last month alone." Wonder if they're more lenient to MS now or she just failed to mention that someone is now an ex-customer.
Don't know about $2700 but i have seen DPs of guys doing 10K - 20K a month and no issues, my CB last month was over $300 but i put over 2K in organic spend doing 30 + swipes a month, that car is my main card for everything.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:48 pm

I think you are missing my point. My "rule" is for situations when there is no specific reason to feel that there is a risk. With WF there was plenty of data suggesting that going fast was very dangerous, and going slow was far safer. I am in the middle of 5% WF myself now, and I am going very slow. WF is actually a great example of what I'm saying...my first 2 go rounds with WF there was no specific reason to feel nervous, and I went pedal to the medal and made out very nicely. New data came out, and going slower became a smarter strategy, especially with their lag time.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:58 am

Is anyone having trouble having their cash back credits applied?

I made a small payment, ordered cash back, and though I have email confirmation and it appears in activities and in cash back, the amount due and the total on my account has NOT changed. I've had the card for a long time so I'm not new to how it works. But there does seem to be a glitch of some kind.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by ZzzzX
Is anyone having trouble having their cash back credits applied?

I made a small payment, ordered cash back, and though I have email confirmation and it appears in activities and in cash back, the amount due and the total on my account has NOT changed. I've had the card for a long time so I'm not new to how it works. But there does seem to be a glitch of some kind.
Cashback applies only to NEW charges generated after it has posted. You can't apply it to the charges of a statement that has just closed. Tricky ba$stards I even have a spreadsheet where I plan out my purchases of GC for the year accounting for the 2 month delay and that redemption rule.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Cashback applies only to NEW charges generated after it has posted. You can't apply it to the charges of a statement that has just closed. Tricky ba$stards I even have a spreadsheet where I plan out my purchases of GC for the year accounting for the 2 month delay and that redemption rule.
Maybe I wasn't clear---it's not showing up at all. It shows as a credit but the total amount of new charges hasn't changed and I though that it would appear there, as an adjustment. I laid off the card for awhile to focus on other...things. But my memory is that once the cash back is ordered, then the total in new charges changes. Was I wrong about that? If so, my bad. (And yes, I am aware of the delay in cash back)
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by ZzzzX

Maybe I wasn't clear---it's not showing up at all. It shows as a credit but the total amount of new charges hasn't changed and I though that it would appear there, as an adjustment. I laid off the card for awhile to focus on other...things. But my memory is that once the cash back is ordered, then the total in new charges changes. Was I wrong about that? If so, my bad. (And yes, I am aware of the delay in cash back)
how long has it been?

the credit takes a few days to show up on mine.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
how long has it been?

the credit takes a few days to show up on mine.
1/23 ordered.
1/25 credit appeared online. But no change to the running balance.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
"Link isn't working" ..........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.