Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread includes all posts for 2016 onwards. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread is here. The 2015 thread is here.

This card is no longer available to new applicants!

Bonus category spending is now capped at $50,000 per year.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex.

Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

Excessive MS on this card may sever your ties with Amex. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500¹ spend in a reward year², you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases³ (5% after 6500⁴), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

¹ First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

³ 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

⁴ 5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by msthegame
My billing statement is not reporting my rewards balance details, is this somewhere else now?
AMEX has elected not to include this information in the statements. You now have to go online, select Statements and Activity, and enter your Rewards Year start date and the end date to see your purchases within your Rewards Year.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Clueless12
I have (3) OBCs and WMNM gives 5% in my area. You can try your store and then go to the "new version" view a few days after the charge has posted to see how much is being given.
How do you select "new version"? Thanks a lot!!

Never mind, I found it under statements and activity tab

Last edited by I Fly Delta Jets; Apr 10, 2019 at 7:04 am
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by atc1
AMEX has elected not to include this information in the statements. You now have to go online, select Statements and Activity, and enter your Rewards Year start date and the end date to see your purchases within your Rewards Year.
Right, but that only gets me the total. Is there now no way to see how much each transaction earned? I used to occasionally have a store NOT code as gas or supermarket and that was immediately obvious from the breakdown. It's also helpful to verify that the transition to 5% occurred correctly after the initial $6500 spend. I guess Amex doesn't want me to have that information anymore.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by lmagnott
Right, but that only gets me the total. Is there now no way to see how much each transaction earned? I used to occasionally have a store NOT code as gas or supermarket and that was immediately obvious from the breakdown. It's also helpful to verify that the transition to 5% occurred correctly after the initial $6500 spend. I guess Amex doesn't want me to have that information anymore.
Click on Statements and Activity>Preview New Version>Cash Back Rewards Overview.
You will see the rewards per transaction for each billing period.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by atc1
Click on Statements and Activity>Preview New Version>Cash Back Rewards Overview.
You will see the rewards per transaction for each billing period.
or on home screen of OBC, you can click directly on "View Reward Details" underneath "Explore Rewards", you will see the same thing discribed above.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by coolguy100
or on home screen of OBC, you can click directly on "View Reward Details" underneath "Explore Rewards", you will see the same thing discribed above.
Yes, I've seen that page, but there are no transactions listed for me, just a total under pending reward dollars. Good to confirm that's where it's supposed to be, though. Maybe there's a delay (just got my second statement of the year earlier this week).
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by lmagnott
Yes, I've seen that page, but there are no transactions listed for me, just a total under pending reward dollars. Good to confirm that's where it's supposed to be, though. Maybe there's a delay (just got my second statement of the year earlier this week).
Update: the transactions from Feb showed up this morning. So not only a full statement period behind (which I already expected), but 3+ days after the next statement. At least the information is available. Thanks to all who helped me find it.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
Claw Back

GC purchases at WMNM in April showing RDs as "FORFEITED".
This combined with Simon... not too good.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by Goofy Foot
Did you have any GC purchases at other grocery stores or at drug stores?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:27 pm

was it mixed with something else or just a VGC?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:07 pm

where did you see "FORFEITED"? on the statement or Reward Dollars Activity?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
This showed on my rewards activity statement.
35k in GC purchases in ~ 4 days. Had purchased Metas previously at Vons, but LP cracked down on large purchases so I
went over to WMNM. No mix or combined with organic.

So, yeah.
First time experiencing this and I've always hit it hard. I have 4 Old Blues. All went like clockwork.

Surprising that I have not seen other reports about this. I should just dial it back a bit I guess.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:01 am

35k in GC purchases in ~ 4 days. Had purchased Metas previously at Vons, but LP cracked down on large purchases so I
went over to WMNM. No mix or combined with organic.

So, yeah.
First time experiencing this and I've always hit it hard. I have 4 Old Blues. All went like clockwork.

Surprising that I have not seen other reports about this. I should just dial it back a bit I guess.
At least they didn’t do a shut down. It will be interesting to see if you get 5% on the card going forward and if any of your other OBCs are affected.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:09 am

Fees of VGCs are $1 lower at NM than drugstore fees they raised to $5.95 which is at par with fees at supermarkets selling meta GCs. RDs from OBCs have slim profit margins after fees, not counting the challenges/obstacles these days in draining VGCs.

Related issue pertaining to MR instead of RD, this was posted on DDF regarding $25K clawback of MR where at least 2 of them reported same thing:
I just got an email from Amex that "After careful review of your MR account, we have removed points in your account... We recently noticed point accrual or redemption activity indicates a manner that is not appropriate..." They go on to include the paragraph from Terms "If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse...."
After logging into my account I noticed a points adjustment of 25k. Anyone have this happen to them? And any chance Amex will continue to pursue further investigation into my account (FR or account shutdown)?
another post where the account was shutdown with 300K+ MR forfeited:
Amex closed a friend of mine's account with 300k+ MR points. Rep says due to "inactivity". No notice was given (rep claims they warned of closure due to inactivity during a phone conversation a few months ago when AH called to downgrade from a Biz gold to green, which according to AH is not true).

Points are gone and Amex says there's nothing to be done. Any advice other than small claims court?
This proves the RATS are on a vicious rampage, axp must be so proud of them.

IF, as OP experienced, where purchases from NM has been marked as ineligible for RD, it's possible huge drugstore purchases will be scrutinized next.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:08 am

35k in GC purchases in ~ 4 days.. I have 4 Old Blues. All went like clockwork.
so this 35k VGC in 4 days were on one OBC or spread over on several OBC? all the 35k VGC rewards showed "FORFEITED" or only part of 35k VGC rewards showed "FORFEITED"? thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.