Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread includes all posts for 2016 onwards. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread is here. The 2015 thread is here.

This card is no longer available to new applicants!

Bonus category spending is now capped at $50,000 per year.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex.

Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

Excessive MS on this card may sever your ties with Amex. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500ą spend in a reward year˛, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchasesł (5% after 6500⁴), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

ą First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

ł 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

⁴ 5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Originally Posted by Travelz
Does anyone have luck buying GC at Hyvee? That is the only grocery store here that sells $500 and all the stores say "Cash Only".
It's up to each individual manager whether or not to accept CC for GC, so you may need to try each location. Usually it's pretty clear (E.g., "Cash Only" all over the gift card rack)
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:54 pm

Do groceries purchase still receive 5% on foreign purchases (in Europe)? Or do we receive cashback only on US soil?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by borntobehermit; Apr 17, 2018 at 1:01 pm Reason: silly question
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:01 pm

Silly me. The answer is no
Old May 23, 2018, 10:56 am

My billing statement is not reporting my rewards balance details, is this somewhere else now?
Old May 23, 2018, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by msthegame
My billing statement is not reporting my rewards balance details, is this somewhere else now?
On Billing statement:

- top right corner, first page
- last statement page (might be followed by blank page)

It's all right there, the reward $ you get on any statement is always from your purchases 2 statements back.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:27 pm

That's how they did it but now none of that stuff is there.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:59 am

Anybody with the Old Blue also acquired the new Blue Cash Everyday or similar ? I got a pre-approved offer for a 0% BT for 15 months plus $150 after a grand spend, but I'm concerned that if I take it, they will then say, Oh now you no longer need that old blue card with the 5% cashback anymore, so we canceled it for you.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:59 am

I have both for over two years now.
Old May 30, 2018, 7:44 am

I like the changes they've made where I can now redeem all my RDs if I wish, instead of redeeming them in increments of $25's. Since I have zero balance every statement cut, I was pleasantly surprised that RDs from last month can be redeemed in full so I don't have 'orphaned RDs' below $25. Hopefully, the next change will be current month redemption of RDs just like CitiDC, that'll be wonderful : )
Old May 31, 2018, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I like the changes they've made where I can now redeem all my RDs if I wish, instead of redeeming them in increments of $25's.
Where do you see this? I just logged into my account and it's still saying the minimum to redeem is $25.00 value.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by hi-guy
Where do you see this? I just logged into my account and it's still saying the minimum to redeem is $25.00 value.
I believe the minimum redemption amount is $25, but it doesn’t need to be redeemed in increments of $25 anymore. At least that’s what I read the changes were.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by hi-guy
I just redeemed a little over $200 USD yesterday, and it allowed me, for the first time, to drain my entire balance as 1 Credit, and not 8 or 9 $25 USD credits. So all in all, if you have more than $25 USD, you are good to drain everything every month. I am still a little over $42,000 in my reward year which ends Mid August, so I think I will make it to the cap this year too and drain every cent out of my reward dollars.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by redarmy
I have both for over two years now.
Thanks. I'm considering it.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
Hopefully, the next change will be current month redemption of RDs just like CitiDC, that'll be wonderful : )
They just changed it from current month redemption to apply to your balance due, to only allowing the credit to apply after the account rolls over, about a year ago or so. Unlikely they will reverse it.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by carlitos
I am still a little over $42,000 in my reward year which ends Mid August
Where the heck did they move that running balance to since the makeover ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.