Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[dead for new applicants]

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[dead for new applicants]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 17, 18, 5:40 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
This thread includes all posts for 2016 onwards. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread is here. The 2015 thread is here.

This card is no longer available to new applicants!

Bonus category spending is now capped at $50,000 per year. Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex. As of June 11, 2015, shutdown reports continue.

Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

Excessive MS on this card may sever your ties with Amex.

Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500¹ spend in a reward year², you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases³ (5% after 6500⁴), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

¹ First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

² 'Reward year' is the 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one in which the anniversary of your Card Account occurs.

³ 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

⁴ 5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 6, 18, 8:37 am
  #361  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Posts: 338
the link is finally dead sadly
coolguy100 is online now  
Old Feb 7, 18, 4:57 pm
  #362  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 73
Originally Posted by Mamibear View Post
Ours are still open but I'm no longer excited to meet the threshold since the drugstores raise their fees on OVs. If there are great sync offers that'll make me reach the threshold, then I'll use it for 5% bonus.
Yes, but even if the OVs stayed at 4.95, it is so hard to liquidate them since USPS ended. All my local stores have also limited MOs to bank debits cards only. How do you do liquidate them it at a reasonable cost?
guywhocan is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 10:31 am
  #363  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Land of the parrots and parrotheads
Programs: Several dozen
Posts: 4,818
Cost is really not the issue. The issue is the difficulty in finding any place to liquidate them. The pool of places is drying up and nobody is sharing working locations. You may have to look outside your area, but even then some of my favorite "greater Midwest / Bible Belt" locations I used to hit on road trips no longer work. Also, many remote stores and obscure chains that used to sell $20-500 cards out that way have gone cash only.

Originally Posted by guywhocan View Post


Yes, but even if the OVs stayed at 4.95, it is so hard to liquidate them since USPS ended. All my local stores have also limited MOs to bank debits cards only. How do you do liquidate them it at a reasonable cost?
AlohaDaveKennedy is offline  
Old Feb 11, 18, 9:55 am
  #364  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,699
Originally Posted by guywhocan View Post


How do you do liquidate them it at a reasonable cost?
I have several grocery stores and one gas station as back ups. MS is, and will always be, YMMV depending on one's locale. I took the time and effort to check each store and gas station in my area to find out those I can use just in case WM goes the same path USPS did. It is best to be one or two steps ahead in this game.
coolguy100 and Clueless12 like this.
Mamibear is offline  
Old Feb 15, 18, 10:31 am
  #365  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 64
Originally Posted by Mamibear View Post
I have several grocery stores and one gas station as back ups. MS is, and will always be, YMMV depending on one's locale. I took the time and effort to check each store and gas station in my area to find out those I can use just in case WM goes the same path USPS did. It is best to be one or two steps ahead in this game.
Geez I never thought WM would quit on us, but I should be prepared just in case. That would wreck me lol.

Just curious for anyone out there - have you had your OBC's switched on you without your consent after a year? I'm wondering how long I'll have access to it as the OBC.
pancakeman27 is offline  
Old Feb 15, 18, 11:46 am
  #366  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,075
Originally Posted by pancakeman27 View Post
Just curious for anyone out there - have you had your OBC's switched on you without your consent after a year? I'm wondering how long I'll have access to it as the OBC.
I don't think anyone has but CC companies replace cards all the time so I would think OBC would be a good option for them to replace (I hope not though)
cdog999 is offline  
Old Feb 20, 18, 9:02 am
  #367  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 232
I still have this card but haven't been hitting it since the Reloadits died. Seems like VGC to MO is the standard these days. I don't suppose there's anything better than that going on that's well known enough to post here?
justinh20 is offline  
Old Feb 21, 18, 10:22 am
  #368  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Land of the parrots and parrotheads
Programs: Several dozen
Posts: 4,818
Not much posts these days on the boards, although reddit is sill a bit too talkative. Even the bloggers tend to now just report only what died. Afraid it is all home grown or in league with the underground these days. When the rats crawl out of the sewers it is best to hide the cheese.

Originally Posted by justinh20 View Post
I still have this card but haven't been hitting it since the Reloadits died. Seems like VGC to MO is the standard these days. I don't suppose there's anything better than that going on that's well known enough to post here?
AlohaDaveKennedy is offline  
Old Feb 23, 18, 12:28 pm
  #369  
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 2,572
It is just me. I never find this card attractive. We buy most of the family grocery from Costco. And fresh produce from local farmer's market. So we really visit any grocery stores, like ShopRite here. With this card, you'll have to have quite some grocery shopping before you get into the rewards other than 1%.

We also use Costco cash card to meet the Discover and Chase Freedom 5% quarterly bonus with warehouse shopping. This is much better than the reward this card offers. We get a total of 4 Discover/Freedom cards and can run up to $6,000 with Costco card if we want to.

Also, we spend quite some $$$ on new credit SUB. So no single card receives most of the spending.
RedSun is online now  
Old Feb 23, 18, 3:01 pm
  #370  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 155
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
It is just me. I never find this card attractive. We buy most of the family grocery from Costco. And fresh produce from local farmer's market. So we really visit any grocery stores, like ShopRite here. With this card, you'll have to have quite some grocery shopping before you get into the rewards other than 1%.

We also use Costco cash card to meet the Discover and Chase Freedom 5% quarterly bonus with warehouse shopping. This is much better than the reward this card offers. We get a total of 4 Discover/Freedom cards and can run up to $6,000 with Costco card if we want to.

Also, we spend quite some $$$ on new credit SUB. So no single card receives most of the spending.
I think most of us here find this card super useful as we manufacture spend with the card.
alphakenny1 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 18, 3:26 pm
  #371  
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 2,572
Originally Posted by alphakenny1 View Post
I think most of us here find this card super useful as we manufacture spend with the card.
Sure, you'll have to spend the first $6k at 1% to get the 5%. This card is known for MS and face AmEx''s scrutiny, or attracts the RATS.
RedSun is online now  
Old Feb 23, 18, 3:32 pm
  #372  
Moderator, Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: TIJ/SAN
Programs: Delta Silver. Hilton Diamond.
Posts: 1,386
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
It is just me. I never find this card attractive. We buy most of the family grocery from Costco. And fresh produce from local farmer's market. So we really visit any grocery stores, like ShopRite here. With this card, you'll have to have quite some grocery shopping before you get into the rewards other than 1%.

We also use Costco cash card to meet the Discover and Chase Freedom 5% quarterly bonus with warehouse shopping. This is much better than the reward this card offers. We get a total of 4 Discover/Freedom cards and can run up to $6,000 with Costco card if we want to.

Also, we spend quite some $$$ on new credit SUB. So no single card receives most of the spending.
Note that we are in the manufactured spending forum. Obviously the people that find this cards particularly useful are manufactured spenders.
ChrisFlyer66 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 18, 3:38 pm
  #373  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 155
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
Sure, you'll have to spend the first $6k at 1% to get the 5%. This card is known for MS and face AmEx''s scrutiny, or attracts the RATS.
$6.5k is truly peanuts when MS'ing. As long as the card is alive, it is very useful.
alphakenny1 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 18, 6:43 pm
  #374  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The World!!!
Programs: Some of them not all ...
Posts: 1,198
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
It is just me. I never find this card attractive. We buy most of the family grocery from Costco. And fresh produce from local farmer's market. So we really visit any grocery stores, like ShopRite here. With this card, you'll have to have quite some grocery shopping before you get into the rewards other than 1%.

We also use Costco cash card to meet the Discover and Chase Freedom 5% quarterly bonus with warehouse shopping. This is much better than the reward this card offers. We get a total of 4 Discover/Freedom cards and can run up to $6,000 with Costco card if we want to.

Also, we spend quite some $$$ on new credit SUB. So no single card receives most of the spending.
It is just you.

I would never go close to a Costco and my Krogy works fantastic for groceries and MSing at the same time with this card. Sad we now hit the $50 K cap rather quickly, when before, we did not even care, because the cap did not exist. This is the best CC I have ever had by far, and that is a lot to say when compared to other cards that have given me 100K Points signing bonus both from Amex and Chase.
carlitos is offline  
Old Feb 23, 18, 6:57 pm
  #375  
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 2,572
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
It is just you.

I would never go close to a Costco and my Krogy works fantastic for groceries and MSing at the same time with this card. Sad we now hit the $50 K cap rather quickly, when before, we did not even care, because the cap did not exist. This is the best CC I have ever had by far, and that is a lot to say when compared to other cards that have given me 100K Points signing bonus both from Amex and Chase.
Sure it is just me. I do not MS the hell of it. I only MS if I need to meet my SUB on some cards. It has worked out well for me and I enjoy the stress-free card rewards. Never get any single card shut down....
RedSun is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread