Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread includes all posts for 2016 onwards. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread is here. The 2015 thread is here.

This card is no longer available to new applicants!

Bonus category spending is now capped at $50,000 per year.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex.

Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

Excessive MS on this card may sever your ties with Amex. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500ą spend in a reward year˛, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchasesł (5% after 6500⁴), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

ą First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

ł 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

⁴ 5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
The bigger you go, the bigger you go splat, as in after our good friends at the USPS shut down plastic recycling. Keep your GC inventories low.
My idea of "big" and other's ideas of "big" are really quite far apart. My 5-15k MS per month is a daily habit for some people. The PO was never my thing, I hope those effers don't infect my other preferred MO locations.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:00 am

Last two years or so, I met threshold spending buying AGC from Amex (hiding in plain sight etc and cheap providing you can liquidate). But with the new T&C, not so sure.

My year begins 11/26, and I guess we don't have recent data points since the change (not enough time to see if people are really earning 5%)
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Any recent approvals?

The link looks like it’s still working. Any reports of recent approvals. I was shut down years ago, but have an otherwise good Amex relationship. Might give it a try, after Christmas.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:47 pm

I got my first card right before the PO MO ended and we don't have any grocery stores selling $500s so that is a bummer. I guess I will watch for sales on $200s at the grocery store.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:39 pm

Anywhere on the Amex site I can track how much of the first $6500 eligible spend I've reached?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:41 am

You should be able to see how much of the 6500 you've spent in your statements.

Last edited by pancakeman27; Dec 19, 2017 at 7:05 am
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by pancakeman27
You should be able to see how much of the 6500 you've spent in your statements.
Thanks, I'll check it out when I get my statement tomorrow. I bought about $5k worth of VGC on sale at Giftcardmall last night and it won't post until until next statement so I won't be able to know if they're considered eligible purchases toward the $6500. Any idea if purchases at GiftCardMall are considered eligible purchases?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by cwh82
Thanks, I'll check it out when I get my statement tomorrow. I bought about $5k worth of VGC on sale at Giftcardmall last night and it won't post until until next statement so I won't be able to know if they're considered eligible purchases toward the $6500. Any idea if purchases at GiftCardMall are considered eligible purchases?
GCM's purchases are considered "eligible purchase". I have just met my $6.5K with GCM.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by lancaster
GCM's purchases are considered "eligible purchase". I have just met my $6.5K with GCM.
Thanks for the reply. I read in this thread that it may be a good idea to pay my amex bill early over the phone to avoid shutdown or financial review. I've had this card for 17 years and haven't used it much until this month so I'm thinking the $6k I just charged on it may raise some flags especially since I just logged into my account and it asked me to update my income info. I can pay the bill right away when the charges post but I'm hesitant to call in and pay over the phone as I don't want to draw attention to it. Can I just pay it online through Amex?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Thanks for the reply. I read in this thread that it may be a good idea to pay my amex bill early over the phone to avoid shutdown or financial review. I've had this card for 17 years and haven't used it much until this month so I'm thinking the $6k I just charged on it may raise some flags especially since I just logged into my account and it asked me to update my income info. I can pay the bill right away when the charges post but I'm hesitant to call in and pay over the phone as I don't want to draw attention to it. Can I just pay it online through Amex?
I would go against that thought. The only FR I have ever had with Amex came when I started with Amex cards and I started buying many VGC with the OBC. I manage to pass the FR without sending anything, as my account was to new, and that is what triggered the it. They thought I opened them just to buy GC and leave the accounts unpaid. Once I establish a pattern buying GC, there has never been a problem since. And I max out the $50K (never got shot down) every year and before, when there was NO cap, I did way more. So with a 17 year seniority, just feel free to start doing it slowly. My only recommendation is not to do big transactions, but many small ones, as that has worked for me in the past 4 years with this card. With that pattern, I never get a transaction denied for risk purposes, even if I am in another state different to my billing address.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by carlitos
I would go against that thought. The only FR I have ever had with Amex came when I started with Amex cards and I started buying many VGC with the OBC. I manage to pass the FR without sending anything, as my account was to new, and that is what triggered the it. They thought I opened them just to buy GC and leave the accounts unpaid. Once I establish a pattern buying GC, there has never been a problem since. And I max out the $50K (never got shot down) every year and before, when there was NO cap, I did way more. So with a 17 year seniority, just feel free to start doing it slowly. My only recommendation is not to do big transactions, but many small ones, as that has worked for me in the past 4 years with this card. With that pattern, I never get a transaction denied for risk purposes, even if I am in another state different to my billing address.
Thanks for the tips. Just so I'm clear, when you say "I would go against that thought," which are you referring to specifically? Paying my bill early? Paying it over the phone? What would you consider a big transaction? Again, I was hesitant because I haven't used the card much other than a few amex offers here and there for at least 5 years, then I charge $6k in two days.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Thanks for the tips. Just so I'm clear, when you say "I would go against that thought," which are you referring to specifically? Paying my bill early? Paying it over the phone? What would you consider a big transaction? Again, I was hesitant because I haven't used the card much other than a few amex offers here and there for at least 5 years, then I charge $6k in two days.
Paying the bill early. Trying to cycle or doing something odd. That I would not do.
Big Transaction is everything over four digits. I stay always under four digits and when I have to do four digits, I never spend more than $1,012.00 USD
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by carlitos
Paying the bill early. Trying to cycle or doing something odd. That I would not do.
Big Transaction is everything over four digits. I stay always under four digits and when I have to do four digits, I never spend more than $1,012.00 USD
I wasn't actually looking to cycle, more just letting them know I'm still a reliable customer I guess. As far as the big transactions, I guess that's out the door as I charged $3k, $2k, $1k all in 24 hours. Amex seems to be the only CC company that lets me put thru big charges without declining, fraud alerts, or needing to notify them ahead of time.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
I wasn't actually looking to cycle, more just letting them know I'm still a reliable customer I guess. As far as the big transactions, I guess that's out the door as I charged $3k, $2k, $1k all in 24 hours. Amex seems to be the only CC company that lets me put thru big charges without declining, fraud alerts, or needing to notify them ahead of time.
Just be smart. "4-digits" is not some magic number and represents nothing more than anecdote. You only have to spend ~$56k per year to max the card, so play it cool at the beginning.

Paying AmEx a couple times per month, even if from different bank accounts, does not seem to be a significant factor. Beyond that, use some judgment taking into account your income level, your CL, and your spending habits.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by perkunas
Just be smart. "4-digits" is not some magic number and represents nothing more than anecdote. You only have to spend ~$56k per year to max the card, so spread it evenly at the beginning. Paying AmEx a couple times per month, even if from different bank accounts, does not seem to be a significant factor. Beyond that, use some judgment taking into account your income level, your CL, and your spending habits.
Thanks. I was really trying to ease into it since my reward year just started on 12/3. Then I saw GCM deal and decided to just knock out the $6500 right away. I'll slow it down considering I have 11 months to do the $50k. Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.