Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread includes all posts for 2016 onwards. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread is here. The 2015 thread is here.

This card is no longer available to new applicants!

Bonus category spending is now capped at $50,000 per year.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex.

Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

Excessive MS on this card may sever your ties with Amex. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500ą spend in a reward year˛, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchasesł (5% after 6500⁴), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

ą First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

ł 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

⁴ 5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by bar19900
I had one end 5/8/17 and made purchases on 5/22/17 before statement of 5/27 and they did NOT count towards the new 6.5k
Well, that is because it says the new agreement does not take effect until:

Effective June 30, 2017 the Supplement to the Agreement is amended by deleting How you receive reward dollars section and replacing it with the following...

So you clearly finished your year under the old agreement.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by trueblue84
My reward year says 8/5/16 to 8/4/17. My statement end date is 18th of each month. Does that mean my purchases will only earn 5% till 8/4 for the current year?
According to the new agreement that another FT correctly pointed me to in my April statement, the answer is YES. I am ramping up my spending to finish those $50K in the next two weeks before my Reward Year ends.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by carlitos
According to the new agreement that another FT correctly pointed me to in my April statement, the answer is YES. I am ramping up my spending to finish those $50K in the next two weeks before my Reward Year ends.
Thanks. I need to ramp up mine too.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
Is it still possible to convert/dg from BCP to OBC? I have had BCP for few years and tired of paying the $95AF. Please PM me if necessary. tia!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by FT-hss
Is it still possible to convert/dg from BCP to OBC? I have had BCP for few years and tired of paying the $95AF. Please PM me if necessary. tia!
not possible
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by wrinkle7
not possible
Good news is you can apply for the OBC using the link at the top of the page, it just worked for me today.

(Not planning to MS, but I want to take advantage of Amex Offers and I'm not going to pay $75 or $95 again to watch Amex continually screw up the rewards on my Blue Cash Preferred.)
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:13 pm

Which browser did you use? I've tried a few private/incognito browsers, but no luck yet getting it to open...

Nevermind- got it to open on my phone...

Originally Posted by jrbdmb
Good news is you can apply for the OBC using the link at the top of the page, it just worked for me today.

(Not planning to MS, but I want to take advantage of Amex Offers and I'm not going to pay $75 or $95 again to watch Amex continually screw up the rewards on my Blue Cash Preferred.)

Last edited by Miles4Smiles; Aug 19, 2017 at 1:21 pm
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:59 pm

Does anyone still have the link for the old blue cash? I tried the one on top, and the link is not working. Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zyqnc
Does anyone still have the link for the old blue cash? I tried the one on top, and the link is not working. Thanks!
SMH - look one post above yours .......
Old Sep 17, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS GOLD, AA EXP, SPG PLAT, Marriott PLAT
how would Amex find out about MS on this card? How do I look up updated T&C on OBC? I was going to upgrade to BCP until I saw this thread !
Old Sep 17, 2017, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by noobConsultant
how would Amex find out about MS on this card? How do I look up updated T&C on OBC? I was going to upgrade to BCP until I saw this thread !
They are perfectly aware of people MSing the OBC. They haven't given a .... since they capped it at 50k spend.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by noobConsultant
the good ol days of the uncapped OBC. How I miss them. And yes, as slack455 says, after the cap and tons of OBCs closed by Amex, they stop caring anymore. Still, by far, my best Amex Credit Card
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: Several dozen
Second guessing the gods of credit is often followed by a lightening bolt thrown down from heaven. Beware complacency in our RAT infested world.

...after the cap and tons of OBCs closed by Amex, they stop caring anymore...
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Second guessing the gods of credit is often followed by a lightening bolt thrown down from heaven. Beware complacency in our RAT infested world.
Although I totally agree with you AlohaDaveKennedy, I just stop caring for the OBC that much (it will always be my best credit card by far because of the amount of $$$ I have gotten out of it). I am currently working on the first $6,500 @ 0.5 - 1% cash back slowly, as now I do have plenty of time to whatever part of those $50K cap.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:01 pm

the good ol days of the uncapped OBC. How I miss them. And yes, as slack455 says, after the cap and tons of OBCs closed by Amex, they stop caring anymore. Still, by far, my best Amex Credit Card
OBC used to be uncapped????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.