Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Property taxes: Help me earn more than 1 point per $

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
I have a feeling I am gonna get smacked around for starting this thread but here it goes.
The second installment on my property taxes in the amount of $1998 is a couple of months away and I would like to earn as many points as possible in return.
I have a Chase Ink Plus business card and I was thinking about buying multiple VGCs at Staples and Office Max to cover the cost and earn 5 times the points.
Problem is, I can't seem to find a way to combine the VGCs into a single card to do the payment online.
What do people suggest?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:59 pm

Buy the 300 gcs online, buy two MOs, mail to taxman
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CWAL
Buy the 300 gcs online, buy two MOs, mail to taxman
My man!
Thanks dude
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:32 pm

YMMV with step 2
Old Jan 26, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Phone property tax office. Ask them if they will accept multiple cards for payment of your property tax in one transaction (over the phone). If not, will they accept partial payment if you make multiple transactions. Make sure you get an email receipt. I have done this successfully in the past (multiple cards, one transaction).

I believe that officialpayment.com allows payment of property tax in some counties via their website. You could check there as well, though this was not possible for my county. If it is possible, you would hopefully be allowed to make multiple partial-payment transactions online until you reached your total due. Save your receipts.

All these strategies incur fees in the low 2% range, but it may be worth it if you got 5x on your original GC purchase.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
Phone property tax office. Ask them if they will accept multiple cards for payment of your property tax in one transaction (over the phone). If not, will they accept partial payment if you make multiple transactions. Make sure you get an email receipt. I have done this successfully in the past (multiple cards, one transaction).

I believe that officialpayment.com allows payment of property tax in some counties via their website. You could check there as well, though this was not possible for my county. If it is possible, you would hopefully be allowed to make multiple partial-payment transactions online until you reached your total due. Save your receipts.

All these strategies incur fees in the low 2% range, but it may be worth it if you got 5x on your original GC purchase.
MO fees are going to be significantly less than 2% so I would go that route first.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Now if only a kind soul would hook me up with a place to buy MO with VGC in the LA/Valley area <3
Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
Now if only a kind soul would hook me up with a place to buy MO with VGC in the LA/Valley area <3
Nice try OP
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

I am willing to Paypal some funds to show my appreciation! <3
Old Jan 26, 2016, 5:58 pm

I'm in the LA area too, and make my property tax payment to LA County Tax Collector. I had this issue back when my first property tax payment was due in Dec. Unfortunately, the office I sent my tax to did not accept MO as payment. So you should look up your office and find out if they accept MOs. My office did accept credit card payments, at lil under 2% I think processing fee. I used this to meet the minimum spend on my Chase British Airways card.

Good luck.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by rlee1180
I'm in the LA area too, and make my property tax payment to LA County Tax Collector. I had this issue back when my first property tax payment was due in Dec. Unfortunately, the office I sent my tax to did not accept MO as payment. So you should look up your office and find out if they accept MOs. My office did accept credit card payments, at lil under 2% I think processing fee. I used this to meet the minimum spend on my Chase British Airways card.

Good luck.
Did they accept personal checks? It seems odd to accept personal checks, but not MOs...
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by CWAL
Did they accept personal checks? It seems odd to accept personal checks, but not MOs...
They do accept personal checks, which is my usual method of payment. But since the Chase British has such a high min spend to get the 100K avios, and since I have to pay property tax anyways, I decided to pay with credit card this year.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 2:48 am

Good luck.
I find it strange that the LA County Tax Collector would not accept MO as a form of payment. I have never seen that type of issue before.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
I find it strange that the LA County Tax Collector would not accept MO as a form of payment. I have never seen that type of issue before.
Sorry, I forgot to clarify that they do accept MO for walk in payments at their office. But that's like waiting in line at the DMV. I meant to say that they don't accept MOs for electronic payments.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:35 pm

Sorry, I forgot to clarify that they do accept MO for walk in payments at their office. But that's like waiting in line at the DMV. I meant to say that they don't accept MOs for electronic payments.
There's no option for mailing your payment in then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.