Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread has posts from 2016 onward; prior posts can be found here.
The thread for 2018 is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Giant MD and Stop & Shop's points now stack with Shell's Fuel Rewards. See more here.
If you link a Mastercard to Fuel Rewards, you will earn an additional $0.15/gal for every $100 spent on anything at Giant/S&S with that card through the end of the year.

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

- - - - - - - - - -
Current promotions
Fuel Rewards:
- $0.15/gal for every $100 spent at qualifying supermarkets with a Mastercard through the end of the year
Weekly Ad (advert starting 2017-__-__):
- Stop & Shop:
- Giant MD:
- Giant PA:
- Martin's:
- - - - - - - - - -
Additional Information

• A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

• The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

• S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

• Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

• Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

• You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

• It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

• Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

• If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behaviour if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

• If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:19 pm

In the Fuel Rewards app under settings you can disable the Alt ID. I guess someone could still use your FR number if they have it.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:43 am

Another small trick to add up FR points. Gift card purchases at S&S don't give you S&S gas points but if you use your linked MC, you get 15 c/$100 spent. Buy Shell gift cards and bam....another addition onto the gas discount gravy train.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Car Jack
Another small trick to add up FR points. Gift card purchases at S&S don't give you S&S gas points but if you use your linked MC, you get 15 c/$100 spent. Buy Shell gift cards and bam....another addition onto the gas discount gravy train.
This doesn't work for me. My MC is linked but I did not get the extra 15c after spending $500+.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by rrgg
This doesn't work for me. My MC is linked but I did not get the extra 15c after spending $500+.
The credit will show up after a few days! Got mine 2 days later
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Car Jack
Who said this wouldn't work? I think this was pretty obvious. Just watch out because there's a limit on grocery FR reward spend. Though you could probably just make a new account in 1 minute and start it all over.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa
Who said this wouldn't work? I think this was pretty obvious. Just watch out because there's a limit on grocery FR reward spend. Though you could probably just make a new account in 1 minute and start it all over.
What's the limit on grocery FR reward spend?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:25 pm
soy

Programs: various
where did you see this?
I know there is a limit of $125/gl in savings, is that the limit you are talking about?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by soy
where did you see this?
I know there is a limit of $125/gl in savings, is that the limit you are talking about?
Yup, maybe I interpreted this wrong? It seems like your account is maxed at $125 in grocery spend.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:23 pm

Yup, maybe I interpreted this wrong? It seems like your account is maxed at $125 in grocery spend.
Limited to $83,300 spend. You can earn $125 in gas discounts. 15 cents per $100 spent.

Also, it seems the Mastercard promotion got extended to March 31, 2018. Previously it was only good until 12/31.
centrifuge41 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
Limited to $83,300 spend. You can earn $125 in gas discounts. 15 cents per $100 spent.

Also, it seems the Mastercard promotion got extended to March 31, 2018. Previously it was only good until 12/31.
Ok got ya. Each $500 spent is $0.75 of the $125 max. Sick!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've now successfully linked my Giant and FR accounts, and I must say that it's completely baffling to me what happens at the pump. Like I was recently in Florida and swiped my FR card at a Shell. I was somehow limited to my Giant $1.50 award, but it didn't pull the points from my Giant account, just my "independent" FR account. I've looked at my FR online statement, and it doesn't really make any sense to me.

Meanwhile, I also bought gas at a Shell in "Giant territory" with my FR card and got $1.92 off/gallon. That did pull 1500 Giant points from my account, and (I think) some "independent" FR points.

I guess I'm getting lots of free and cheap gas out of this, and I hope I'm better off with the linkage between the two programs, but man, the program is way too confusing. And I sort of wonder if, as a traveler, I might sometimes do better without the linkage (use Giant points in Giant territory and FR points in non-Giant territory, without a cap).
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
I've now successfully linked my Giant and FR accounts, and I must say that it's completely baffling to me what happens at the pump. Like I was recently in Florida and swiped my FR card at a Shell. I was somehow limited to my Giant $1.50 award, but it didn't pull the points from my Giant account, just my "independent" FR account. I've looked at my FR online statement, and it doesn't really make any sense to me.

Meanwhile, I also bought gas at a Shell in "Giant territory" with my FR card and got $1.92 off/gallon. That did pull 1500 Giant points from my account, and (I think) some "independent" FR points.

I guess I'm getting lots of free and cheap gas out of this, and I hope I'm better off with the linkage between the two programs, but man, the program is way too confusing. And I sort of wonder if, as a traveler, I might sometimes do better without the linkage (use Giant points in Giant territory and FR points in non-Giant territory, without a cap).
When you are outside of Giant territory, only FR dollars are available for discount. When you are in Giant territory, it uses Giant points first and then FR dollars as needed.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tuphat
When you are outside of Giant territory, only FR dollars are available for discount. When you are in Giant territory, it uses Giant points first and then FR dollars as needed.
But then why was my savings with my FR card capped at Giant's $1.50 limit -- even though it didn't remove any Giant points (because I was out of Giant's territory)? Previously, before I linked the two, I was able to use my FR card and points to get to a 1.9 cent pump price.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
I think this is hit or miss. I used my FR Alt-ID in upstate New York in an area not served by Stop & Shop, and it used S&S points + FR. It might be more likely to happen in states where S&S/Giant have any presence at all, but previously before the accounts could be linked, S&S did not work at all there.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Bigzamboni

Does anyone have the FR mastercard? shows as .25/gallon per $100 at grocery. If you used the gas 20 gal thats a ~5% rebate on grocery, plus the ~3% during this promotion (probably take that at 80-90% of face). Plus any other store fuel incentives. Would be a nice DP to make sure that stacks. Next best mastercards for grocery? Jetblue+ is 2x, but at 50k spend (for mosaic) would be 2.3x as reported (and mosaic for 2 years), Amtrak is compelling as well. Hmm.

Nice it was extended, looks like I'll need to buy an RV or a boat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.