Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread has posts from 2016 onward; prior posts can be found here.
The thread for 2018 is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Giant MD and Stop & Shop's points now stack with Shell's Fuel Rewards. See more here.
If you link a Mastercard to Fuel Rewards, you will earn an additional $0.15/gal for every $100 spent on anything at Giant/S&S with that card through the end of the year.

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

- - - - - - - - - -
Current promotions
Fuel Rewards:
- $0.15/gal for every $100 spent at qualifying supermarkets with a Mastercard through the end of the year
Weekly Ad (advert starting 2017-__-__):
- Stop & Shop:
- Giant MD:
- Giant PA:
- Martin's:
- - - - - - - - - -
Additional Information

A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behaviour if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:13 pm

2x on Amex cards starting 11/3
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by makelab
I know there has been reasons not to combine FR and Giant accounts. I have them combined and it does exactly what you are suggesting - it takes 1.50 from Giant and uses enough FR to bring the price down to .109. You also get your gold bonus. I am in MD and did this twice in the past 10 days or so.
Thanks. If I can remember, I'll try to go on Thursday (they knock another nickel off -- big whoop, but why not) and see what happens.

Which card do you scan -- Giant or Fuel Rewards?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks. If I can remember, I'll try to go on Thursday (they knock another nickel off -- big whoop, but why not) and see what happens.

Which card do you scan -- Giant or Fuel Rewards?
I added a PIN since my phone number was the same for FR and Giant, since I combined accounts. So I do manual entry of phone number + PIN.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I added a PIN since my phone number was the same for FR and Giant, since I combined accounts. So I do manual entry of phone number + PIN.
The pin is for which program? I didn't know there was even a pin option!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:27 am
soy

Programs: various
Upthread it was noted that you could set a PIN on FR website for your AltID. Given that AltID may be your phone number, that is not exactly rock solid security. Don't want to discover someone has drained your account
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:30 am
soy

I know there has been reasons not to combine FR and Giant accounts.
I don't think there are any reasons not to link. That was only in the start when we did not understand how it works and people were being careful.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soy
Upthread it was noted that you could set a PIN on FR website for your AltID. Given that AltID may be your phone number, that is not exactly rock solid security. Don't want to discover someone has drained your account
OK, so it sounds like it's the Fuel Rewards card that was used.

I can definitely see why some folks would want to set a pin. I agree, there is obviously some minor risk if it's just your phone number. If you scan your card, does it then ask for the pin, or only if you just type in your phone number?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:02 am

I can definitely see why some folks would want to set a pin. I agree, there is obviously some minor risk if it's just your phone number. If you scan your card, does it then ask for the pin, or only if you just type in your phone number?
The one time I tried my physical card, it didn't ask for a pin. The card has some scratch off area on it. Not sure the purpose of that. Maybe using gift card stock to make them?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:01 am
soy

I always use the card rather than the AltID, but on the website it just appended the PIN onto the end of my AltID number, so I guess it is just one string of numbers rather than a 2 step process
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:52 am

Go into your FR account information and look for your phone number. You can enter a pin in that section. I don't remember what it's called exactly, but I found it with no problem......of course I was on the phone with the FR guy, so he told me exactly what to do.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by soy
I always use the card rather than the AltID, but on the website it just appended the PIN onto the end of my AltID number, so I guess it is just one string of numbers rather than a 2 step process
Correct.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I went to a Shell station in Giant MD territory yesterday. I swiped my FR card and gas went down to 1.9 cents. It seemed great. But later I looked online at my FR and Giant accounts. It took all the credit from FR and none from Giant. This is very bad for me, as my Giant rewards are going to start expiring next week and my FR rewards are good through the end of the year. I thought/wanted $1.50 to come from Giant and the rest from FR.

I first called Giant to complain and they were useless. But then I called FR who figured out my accounts weren't actually linked. Weird, because I signed up for FR on the Giant website! He told me to go back to the Giant website to link them and, when it did, it seemed like the system was busted (no acknowledgement when I clicked "link") but suddenly several dollars of points flowed into my FR account. I have no idea why, and the rep couldn't explain it either. At the same time, no points were drained from my Giant gas rewards account from my recent purchase.

So I don't seem to be worse off, and I may be better off. But I still have no idea whatsoever why my points are what they are or what will happen the next time I try to buy gas.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Just bought amex gc from S&S with my Prestige MC. When does the 0.15/gallon per $100 MC credit posts to FR? Still do not see those in FR but do see the S&S credits in FR. Does it usually take a day?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Just bought amex gc from S&S with my Prestige MC. When does the 0.15/gallon per $100 MC credit posts to FR? Still do not see those in FR but do see the S&S credits in FR. Does it usually take a day?
Takes at least a day, sometimes two or three.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:12 am

Be sure to add a PIN if your phone number is in your FR account. I had 2 uses of my account across the country in a state where there's no stop and shop. Both times, FR added the points back to my account. The first time, my phone # was used and the second time, my FR # was used. FR issued me a new card and I put in a PIN. An alternate security measure, which I might do is to remove your phone as the alt id.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.