Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread has posts from 2016 onward; prior posts can be found here.
The thread for 2018 is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Giant MD and Stop & Shop's points now stack with Shell's Fuel Rewards. See more here.
If you link a Mastercard to Fuel Rewards, you will earn an additional $0.15/gal for every $100 spent on anything at Giant/S&S with that card through the end of the year.

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

- - - - - - - - - -
Current promotions
Fuel Rewards:
- $0.15/gal for every $100 spent at qualifying supermarkets with a Mastercard through the end of the year
Weekly Ad (advert starting 2017-__-__):
- Stop & Shop:
- Giant MD:
- Giant PA:
- Martin's:
- - - - - - - - - -
Additional Information

A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behaviour if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
You're not alone
Maybe they have something against Bostonians

Last edited by financialhippie; Apr 10, 2017 at 11:52 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by ST4LKER
So, would like to know of any success stories...
tried. no success. got cancelled.
checked at slickdeals. only one success story there. all others failed.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:27 am

Why there is no mention of the Giant giftcard promo this week here?
Giant Eagle: Bonus Fuel Perks with Giftcard Purchases Until 4/19 [PA,OH,WV,IN,MD]
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by dereck062
Why there is no mention of the Giant giftcard promo this week here?
Giant Eagle: Bonus Fuel Perks with Giftcard Purchases Until 4/19 [PA,OH,WV,IN,MD]
They are different chains and have different parent companies
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:42 am

For anyone with the S&S app, you can load a digital coupon that will give you $10 off grocery purchase with a $100 or more MCGC purchase. It can all be in the same transaction. Limit 1 per customer. Nothing like the $15 offer from two weeks ago, but if you're shopping at S&S, it wouldn't hurt to throw a MCGC in. To access the coupon, open the app, choose coupons, and search for "gift."
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by FrankMS
For anyone with the S&S app, you can load a digital coupon that will give you $10 off grocery purchase with a $100 or more MCGC purchase. It can all be in the same transaction. Limit 1 per customer. Nothing like the $15 offer from two weeks ago, but if you're shopping at S&S, it wouldn't hurt to throw a MCGC in. To access the coupon, open the app, choose coupons, and search for "gift."
Likewise for Giant MD. There are also a few similar offers for merchant-specific gift cards.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:12 pm

You can also load the offer on stopandshop.com. Search for Mastercard. Since the $10 offer is till 5/20, might as well wait to see if any gas points show up by then.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by UserMark
You can also load the offer on stopandshop.com. Search for Mastercard. Since the $10 offer is till 5/20, might as well wait to see if any gas points show up by then.
Bought a $500 mastercard giftcard and I didnt get a $10 voucher. Loaded the coupon to my card. Does it have to be a fixed value mc?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by nnugnotsle
Bought a $500 mastercard giftcard and I didnt get a $10 voucher. Loaded the coupon to my card. Does it have to be a fixed value mc?
Here's the terms of the offer:

$10.00 off
when you buy $100 or more in Mastercard Gift Cards
Redeem by 05/20/2017

Offer redeemed when you present your Card at checkout and will be applied to your grocery order before taxes and after all other coupons and savings are applied. Grocery order calculation excludes gift cards, alcohol, tobacco and any other purchase prohibited by law. Offer can only be redeemed once. While gift card supplies last. All rights reserved. Offer cannot be doubled, tripled or combined with any like offers. No rainchecks. Offer not valid at Peapod.com. Gift cards are subject to their own terms, conditions and fees. All trademarks are property of their respective owners. All sales of gift cards are final, no refunds on gift cards. The Mastercard Gift Card is issued by U.S. Bank National Association, pursuant to a license from Mastercard International. Mastercard and the Mastercard Brand Mark are registered trademarks of Mastercard International.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:05 pm

This worked for me. I also first did not realize I needed to buy groceries with my GC but then I realized that and it worked with groceries and the GC.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Luvs2Sav12
This worked for me. I also first did not realize I needed to buy groceries with my GC but then I realized that and it worked with groceries and the GC.
So buy at least $10 of grocery with the GC and $10 will be taken off on the same order?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by westlaker
So buy at least $10 of grocery with the GC and $10 will be taken off on the same order?
Yes
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by peter888
tried. no success. got cancelled.
checked at slickdeals. only one success story there. all others failed.
ditto. i never got it to work. i'm sure slickdealers killed it for everyone. great idea tho!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by riphamilton
ditto. i never got it to work. i'm sure slickdealers killed it for everyone. great idea tho!
Still works...as of today
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:57 pm

Worked for me fine today, at Giant in Northern Virginia. It actually stacked along with a $5 off $15 coupon that I also added to my Giant card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.