Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread has posts from 2016 onward; prior posts can be found here.
The thread for 2018 is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Giant MD and Stop & Shop's points now stack with Shell's Fuel Rewards. See more here.
If you link a Mastercard to Fuel Rewards, you will earn an additional $0.15/gal for every $100 spent on anything at Giant/S&S with that card through the end of the year.

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

- - - - - - - - - -
Current promotions
Fuel Rewards:
- $0.15/gal for every $100 spent at qualifying supermarkets with a Mastercard through the end of the year
Weekly Ad (advert starting 2017-__-__):
- Stop & Shop:
- Giant MD:
- Giant PA:
- Martin's:
- - - - - - - - - -
Additional Information

• A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

• The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

• S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

• Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

• Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

• You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

• It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

• Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

• If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behaviour if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

• If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:16 pm

I bought 3 GC on 3 different transactions and received 3 coupons. I have used 2 of them. I used my same S&S card on all transactions.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, SWA CP
Looking to max out my 5% Gas station Freedom category. Who knows what gas stations sell $500 VGCs and allow CC purchases?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by Chelski
Only a $2 difference
How astute of you to notice you understood my point. Seems like it doesn't matter anyway! See below

Originally Posted by Luvs2Sav12
I bought 3 GC on 3 different transactions and received 3 coupons. I have used 2 of them. I used my same S&S card on all transactions.
Aww yeah!
Old Mar 18, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Luvs2Sav12
Interesting -- and good! I went to a Giant last night and bought one $500 Visa. I was surprised that the $15 coupon printed on my receipt, and not in a separate "Catalina" coupon (that's how most of these things work in my neck of the woods). I thought the receipt coupon would be more likely tied to my Giant loyalty number, so I didn't try another. Apparently no worries, though. I guess I'll stop by next week for a couple more. I'll need more (on sale) berries by then, anyway.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iahphx
Interesting -- and good! I went to a Giant last night and bought one $500 Visa. I was surprised that the $15 coupon printed on my receipt, and not in a separate "Catalina" coupon (that's how most of these things work in my neck of the woods). I thought the receipt coupon would be more likely tied to my Giant loyalty number, so I didn't try another. Apparently no worries, though. I guess I'll stop by next week for a couple more. I'll need more (on sale) berries by then, anyway.
It works with reg cashier. Didn't work at self-co. Spent $3 across 2 transactions. Will be getting $5k/day now
Old Mar 18, 2017, 12:35 pm

It works with reg cashier. Didn't work at self-co. Spent $3 across 2 transactions. Will be getting $5k/day now
Did the computer let you use more than 1 coupon per txn?
Old Mar 18, 2017, 12:35 pm

That's a lot of groceries to use those coupons!
Old Mar 18, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by financialhippie
Yeah, I hope there are good sales in the meat dep't.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bar19900
Did the computer let you use more than 1 coupon per txn?
Didn't try. This would def make it easier than trying to reach $15/transaction

Lots of items at Giant.

Debating whether to buy 19x$250 per day to max or stick to the 10 normal ones..
Old Mar 18, 2017, 4:13 pm

FWIW, I needed an employee to come by and approve the coupon for use at the self checkout (at Stop & Shop). Probably better to use the coupon in the normal lanes. I've only done one so far, and after that hiccup I was good to go!
Old Mar 18, 2017, 7:05 pm

FWIW, I needed an employee to come by and approve the coupon for use at the self checkout (at Stop & Shop). Probably better to use the coupon in the normal lanes. I've only done one so far, and after that hiccup I was good to go!
says "not redeemable at self-checkouts" right on the coupon.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
says "not redeemable at self-checkouts" right on the coupon.
It also says "limit one per household" right on the coupon
Old Mar 18, 2017, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lots of items at Giant.
They're not letting you use these on gift cards, are they?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 8:40 am

It also says "limit one per household" right on the coupon
Heh, good one No self-checkout is a bit easier to enforce though
Old Mar 19, 2017, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
They're not letting you use these on gift cards, are they?
The terms so not valid on gift cards but I'd be curious if it works anyway. Haven't tried it though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.