Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread has posts from 2016 onward; prior posts can be found here.
The thread for 2018 is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Giant MD and Stop & Shop's points now stack with Shell's Fuel Rewards. See more here.
If you link a Mastercard to Fuel Rewards, you will earn an additional $0.15/gal for every $100 spent on anything at Giant/S&S with that card through the end of the year.

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

- - - - - - - - - -
Current promotions
Fuel Rewards:
- $0.15/gal for every $100 spent at qualifying supermarkets with a Mastercard through the end of the year
Weekly Ad (advert starting 2017-__-__):
- Stop & Shop:
- Giant MD:
- Giant PA:
- Martin's:
- - - - - - - - - -
Additional Information

• A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

• The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

• S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

• Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

• Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

• You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

• It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

• Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

• If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behaviour if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

• If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by slicktraveler
I am hoping for promotion on VGC starting 3/3 if follows what happened last year should be this friday>
You're in luck. According to http://forthemommas.com/wp-content/u...ant-ad-3-3.pdf it will be VGC starting on 3/3
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by stuntgoats
You're in luck. According to http://forthemommas.com/wp-content/u...ant-ad-3-3.pdf it will be VGC starting on 3/3
It's a Purim miracle!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:05 am

is this only Giant or will this be Stop and Shop as well?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by slicktraveler
I am hoping for promotion on VGC starting 3/3 if follows what happened last year should be this friday>
Originally Posted by tuphat
It's a Purim miracle!
Wow. This gift just keeps on giving.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: Too many
Originally Posted by avis04
is this only Giant or will this be Stop and Shop as well?
It's both chains. 3/3-3/9. 2x gas points on VGCs. Still only redeemable for $1.50 off up to 20 gals in most areas.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 4:48 am

How many vgc r u buying, if don't mind me asking, what is the best way to liquid beside wallyworld
Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:32 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by dereck062
How many vgc r u buying, if don't mind me asking, what is the best way to liquid beside wallyworld
Points expire after 30 days, and are best consumed in increments of 1500 for 20gals. You need to do the math to understand how much gas you will consume in that time frame, then buy enough cards to hit that number
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by dereck062
I sell to coworkers and family for my cost to acquire. Everyone loves cheap gas month that knows me. They get gas at a discount and I get to meet min spend or earn lots of points with grocery bonuses.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lekuxs15
I sell to coworkers and family for my cost to acquire. Everyone loves cheap gas month that knows me. They get gas at a discount and I get to meet min spend or earn lots of points with grocery bonuses.
That's ambitious -- especially now that they cap the fuel at 20 gallons. But everyone loves cheap gas and it sounds like a win-win if it's worth your time to manage this.

I'm just going to buy 3 cards for 2 cheap March fill-ups. I don't use tons of gas this time of year. I do wish they'd let you keep the points for more than 30 days (I'd stockpile points then).
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA, Southwest
Smile

Can't wait until tommorrow to get gas rewards points again!!!
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:02 pm

Do the visa GC's at S&S work at USPS for a MO? I've only tried them at Walmart.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyGraz
Do the visa GC's at S&S work at USPS for a MO? I've only tried them at Walmart.
No, S&S/Giant sell Metas, which can't be used at the PO.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:56 pm

When there is a Gas Rewards promo on VGCs, does the system differentiate between Visa and MC?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 3:50 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by MillenniumFlyer
When there is a Gas Rewards promo on VGCs, does the system differentiate between Visa and MC?
Yes
Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by MillenniumFlyer
Yeah, I'm not sure how regional it is, but my S&S flyer I got at home yesterday specifically says the double points are not valid on AmEx or MC gift cards. Pretty sure this is always the case.

A few months ago, the double points were on both VGC and MCGC, but that was very clear in the ad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.