Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread has posts from 2016 onward; prior posts can be found here.
The thread for 2018 is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Giant MD and Stop & Shop's points now stack with Shell's Fuel Rewards. See more here.
If you link a Mastercard to Fuel Rewards, you will earn an additional $0.15/gal for every $100 spent on anything at Giant/S&S with that card through the end of the year.

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

- - - - - - - - - -
Current promotions
Fuel Rewards:
- $0.15/gal for every $100 spent at qualifying supermarkets with a Mastercard through the end of the year
Weekly Ad (advert starting 2017-__-__):
- Stop & Shop:
- Giant MD:
- Giant PA:
- Martin's:
- - - - - - - - - -
Additional Information

• A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

• The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

• S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

• Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

• Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

• You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

• It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

• Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

• If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behaviour if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

• If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:50 am

On a side note, I noticed when buying money orders at Giant that it allows me to skip the pin. I haven't tried it, but it is an option on the PIN pad screen to run as credit. I'll try to buy one with a credit card next time I'm there and will report back.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by soy
Normally S&S gas points expire at midnight on the stated expiration date. I had 2k points that were due to expire Apr 7th. Went to local shell at 9pm last night but points had already expired. Often bought gas in the last hours before expiration before, so wondering if something has changed.

Anyone else experience this?
Kept track of my rewards and notice some expired a day before they should have. I have screen shots showing the expiration dates. Called up the fuel rewards number and they said they are having an issue with point being expired too soon. They credited back my points with another 30 days of life.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gw14
Kept track of my rewards and notice some expired a day before they should have. I have screen shots showing the expiration dates. Called up the fuel rewards number and they said they are having an issue with point being expired too soon. They credited back my points with another 30 days of life.
While sometimes curmudgeonly, the Giant gas rewards desk will generally help you with problems. I just had a bunch of points expire on me because I was unexpectedly out-of-town. The agent said she could make a "one time exception" for me and restored the points (new 30 day expiration). They can see your account history, though, so I don't think this will work multiple times.

Meanwhile, I've finally used up almost all my ebay gift cards (if you fly AA, buying egift cards with discounted ebay money is an excellent strategy). I guess I'd still be allowed to buy ebay gift cards at Giant with a credit card. So when they're featured again as a gas point special, I'll buy some more. You're probably not going to want to rack up 5-digit gas point balances this way, but most folks reading this will probably find this a reasonable way to get a couple free tanks of gas a month (assuming the ebay cards are featured again).
Old Apr 9, 2016, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
While sometimes curmudgeonly, the Giant gas rewards desk will generally help you with problems. I just had a bunch of points expire on me because I was unexpectedly out-of-town. The agent said she could make a "one time exception" for me and restored the points (new 30 day expiration). They can see your account history, though, so I don't think this will work multiple times.

Meanwhile, I've finally used up almost all my ebay gift cards (if you fly AA, buying egift cards with discounted ebay money is an excellent strategy). I guess I'd still be allowed to buy ebay gift cards at Giant with a credit card. So when they're featured again as a gas point special, I'll buy some more. You're probably not going to want to rack up 5-digit gas point balances this way, but most folks reading this will probably find this a reasonable way to get a couple free tanks of gas a month (assuming the ebay cards are featured again).
Unfortunately, 3 out of 4 S&S I tried buying other gift cards featured at a 5x gas reward rate said they needed to be bought with cash or debit.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by gw14
Unfortunately, 3 out of 4 S&S I tried buying other gift cards featured at a 5x gas reward rate said they needed to be bought with cash or debit.
They probably got confused by the policy on V/MC/AXP. I doubt Ahold are going to eliminate credit completely for all gift cards.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
On a side note, I noticed when buying money orders at Giant that it allows me to skip the pin. I haven't tried it, but it is an option on the PIN pad screen to run as credit. I'll try to buy one with a credit card next time I'm there and will report back.
You should probably keep the answer to yourself. Matter of fact, delete your post and forget you posted it before you send people flooding in there to kill it in a day or 2.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Anyone have a link to the latest ad scans? It doesn't seem like livingrich is keeping them updated anymore.

Update: Nevermind. Just checked and we can get lots of gas for LL Bean .... Yippppeeee!!
Old Apr 14, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Mosaic
registers are hard-coded now and won't allow for purchase of visa/mc/amex gift cards with cc. last week i was able to buy paypower gift cards with cc no problem. saw someone from corporate there over the weekend, looked fishy. tried to purchase paypower gift cards last night and no dice - register hardcoded against it.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by RyanNYNJ
registers are hard-coded now and won't allow for purchase of visa/mc/amex gift cards with cc. last week i was able to buy paypower gift cards with cc no problem. saw someone from corporate there over the weekend, looked fishy. tried to purchase paypower gift cards last night and no dice - register hardcoded against it.
I had a feeling it would happen eventually. I hope they'll back down once they get support for chip cards.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:06 pm

I had a feeling it would happen eventually. I hope they'll back down once they get support for chip cards.
Yeah, because they're eager to help us with MS...
Old Apr 15, 2016, 4:34 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by RyanNYNJ
LOL...That sucks. Good ol' days of MS is now fading.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
Yeah, because they're eager to help us with MS...
I doubt it really hurt them if they've been allowing it all these years. The have the ability to kill it at any time. Besides, there are people other than MSers who use Visa gifts who are likely pissed about the ban on credit.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 9:45 am

I doubt it really hurt them if they've been allowing it all these years. The have the ability to kill it at any time. Besides, there are people other than MSers who use Visa gifts who are likely pissed about the ban on credit.
Large businesses like S&S really need a reason to make a change. Shift in responsibility for fraud from banks to merchants most likely triggered this CC ban. It's hard for me to imagine the benefit S&S might see in undoing this change, but I surely hope I am wrong.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Besides, there are people other than MSers who use Visa gifts who are likely pissed about the ban on credit.
Yup, not going to be getting those gift cards at S&S for presents or employee incentives any more. I don't use my personal debit card for any purchases, and I'm not going to go get a pile of cash because I want to get some gift cards for people.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
Large businesses like S&S really need a reason to make a change. Shift in responsibility for fraud from banks to merchants most likely triggered this CC ban. It's hard for me to imagine the benefit S&S might see in undoing this change, but I surely hope I am wrong.
I'd like to believe they'll relent once they get contact EMV support. There's no reason I can think of other than the liability shift for Ahold to set this policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.