Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread has posts from 2016 onward; prior posts can be found here.
The thread for 2018 is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Giant MD and Stop & Shop's points now stack with Shell's Fuel Rewards. See more here.
If you link a Mastercard to Fuel Rewards, you will earn an additional $0.15/gal for every $100 spent on anything at Giant/S&S with that card through the end of the year.

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

- - - - - - - - - -
Current promotions
Fuel Rewards:
- $0.15/gal for every $100 spent at qualifying supermarkets with a Mastercard through the end of the year
Weekly Ad (advert starting 2017-__-__):
- Stop & Shop:
- Giant MD:
- Giant PA:
- Martin's:
- - - - - - - - - -
Additional Information

• A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

• The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

• S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

• Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

• Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

• You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

• It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

• Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

• If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behaviour if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

• If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:21 pm

Receipt doesn't match on-line Acct

For the past few weeks (ever since my last purchases of MasterCard Gift cards), the on-line total of Gas points doesn't match what I see on my supermarket receipts. The supermarket receipts have been showing an additional 1500 Gas points. I've made numerous actual grocery purchases since this discrepancy showed up -- and these odd amounts show up in both places, keeping the delta at exactly 1500 (one gas fillup). But in my latest supermarket receipt, the delta has increased to 3000 Gas points. Again the the delta is this exact round number. As far as I can tell, the lower (on-line) number is the accurate one. I'm not sure that I'll ever get to the bottom of this -- as I might not use even the lower amount before they expire.

Has this happened to anyone else.? (This is at Boston area Stop and Shops)
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by BostonAndy
For the past few weeks (ever since my last purchases of MasterCard Gift cards), the on-line total of Gas points doesn't match what I see on my supermarket receipts. The supermarket receipts have been showing an additional 1500 Gas points. I've made numerous actual grocery purchases since this discrepancy showed up -- and these odd amounts show up in both places, keeping the delta at exactly 1500 (one gas fillup). But in my latest supermarket receipt, the delta has increased to 3000 Gas points. Again the the delta is this exact round number. As far as I can tell, the lower (on-line) number is the accurate one. I'm not sure that I'll ever get to the bottom of this -- as I might not use even the lower amount before they expire.

Has this happened to anyone else.? (This is at Boston area Stop and Shops)
seems to happen when I shop several stores. Happens a lot. online points total is the correct total.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA, Southwest
Mastercard gift cards 2X gas points starting 6/23
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:34 am
formerly ffactoryxx

Do the Giants in PA sell Metabank $500 cards?

Also can you liquidate them on prem in same store?

Lastly, how can you get a pin for these? I know the Meta's on GC.com or GCM.com allow you to set one up.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:43 am
formerly ffactoryxx

I read earlier in this thread that Giant is not accepting CC for GC purchase. Is that still true?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by ffactoryxx
I read earlier in this thread that Giant is not accepting CC for GC purchase. Is that still true?
All of the PA Giant and NJ Stop & Shops I've been to have a sign that says something like "We now accept the following credit cards for gift card purchases..."

Not sure when "now" was, but as of last week, they do. Maybe some stores have different policies if they got bitten by fraud, but in general, they do.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by slicktraveler
Too many offers too quickly! I need points I can use in August! I'm well-stocked on S&S points through July 8th and Giant points through 7/31.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by slicktraveler
I usually skip on the Mastercards, but might pick up a few. They're just more of a headache to liquidate than the Visas, just enough that I'd rather MS through other profitable routes than get the gas points, you know?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by financialhippie
I usually skip on the Mastercards, but might pick up a few. They're just more of a headache to liquidate than the Visas, just enough that I'd rather MS through other profitable routes than get the gas points, you know?
Indeed, and you only making a few bucks on 2X. Now, are these the cards you have to do the little trick at Walmart to get MO's?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by thebat
Indeed, and you only making a few bucks on 2X. Now, are these the cards you have to do the little trick at Walmart to get MO's?
yes.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by financialhippie
I'm actually a bigger fan of the MCGCs since they work at the POs in my area. In the past I was able to liquidate the VGCs at S&S, but most of the stores in my area ask to see the card now when purchasing MOs so I have to go to WM for MOs or to load to Serve and the WMs in my area always have a line at the Money Center that moves like a snail.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by Prometheus77
I'm actually a bigger fan of the MCGCs since they work at the POs in my area. In the past I was able to liquidate the VGCs at S&S, but most of the stores in my area ask to see the card now when purchasing MOs so I have to go to WM for MOs or to load to Serve and the WMs in my area always have a line at the Money Center that moves like a snail.
Gotcha, I do some of these for the PO, but most of mine are gc.com to Walmart lately
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
There are lots of cases of MGC got hacked and drained. I personally had 2 MGC hacked. Those are purchased at Staples.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by westlaker
There are lots of cases of MGC got hacked and drained. I personally had 2 MGC hacked. Those are purchased at Staples.
Same here. It was such a pain to deal with the CSR once that happened - faxing, waiting, ..... Took all the fun out of MS.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Prometheus77
If Visa gift cards ever come to mobile wallets, then we might have some success at Giant. Chances are, the cashier isn't going to take your phone and scrutinise the virtual card you're paying with. And by reducing your screen brightness to almost nothing, the cashier wouldn't be able to glance over and see what card you're using.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.