Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread has posts from 2016 onward; prior posts can be found here.
The thread for 2018 is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Giant MD and Stop & Shop's points now stack with Shell's Fuel Rewards. See more here.
If you link a Mastercard to Fuel Rewards, you will earn an additional $0.15/gal for every $100 spent on anything at Giant/S&S with that card through the end of the year.

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

- - - - - - - - - -
Current promotions
Fuel Rewards:
- $0.15/gal for every $100 spent at qualifying supermarkets with a Mastercard through the end of the year
Weekly Ad (advert starting 2017-__-__):
- Stop & Shop:
- Giant MD:
- Giant PA:
- Martin's:
- - - - - - - - - -
Additional Information

• A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

• The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

• S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

• Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

• Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

• You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

• It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

• Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

• If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behaviour if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

• If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by DeaconY
I have used 6 of these coupons so far without issue...still have several more in the wallet and plan on collecting more throughout the promo.

A couple of things that I found interesting and worth pointing out:

1. When using the coupon, the Giant system (at least in NOVA) includes the value in the "Saved this much this year" calculation at the bottom of the coupon. That means their system is at least tracking these coupons and they should, theoretically, be able to enforce the one per household rule. I'm glad they don't, just find it amazing.

2. The coupon can be used for the $5.95 activation fee, just not the value of the card. I brought about $12 of items along with the card to test. After tax and the coupon, the total was approximately $4.xx and the $500 added to the card. Interestingly, even when using the coupon, the register spit out another coupon with this sale.

3. When using this coupon, the total value of the sale (pre $15 deduction) is added to your gas rewards total. I only noticed because the clerk was pointing out people's gas rewards values to them to remind them to use them. After marveling at my points balance (still had over 6000 after two fill-ups of the monster SUV) thanks to the recent promo she pointed out that I earned an additional 25 points even though my total after coupon was only $10.
Very cool on the coupon for the activation fee.

I can confirm the gas points on the total purchase before coupon as well at Stop & Shops in my area.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:57 pm

2. The coupon can be used for the $5.95 activation fee, just not the value of the card. I brought about $12 of items along with the card to test. After tax and the coupon, the total was approximately $4.xx and the $500 added to the card. Interestingly, even when using the coupon, the register spit out another coupon with this sale.
If you bought $18 worth of items ($12 + $5.95 activation) and your post coupon total was $4.xx, doesn't that mean the activation fee wasn't included in the $15 off?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FrankMS
If you bought $18 worth of items ($12 + $5.95 activation) and your post coupon total was $4.xx, doesn't that mean the activation fee wasn't included in the $15 off?
OP said after discount and tax it was about $4. $18-4 is $4. Your analysis would require the total to be >$6.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:10 pm

I did not have success in duplicating this at Giant PA. I had $12 of items along with the VGC. The cashier rang up everything including the coupon (it showed up on the screen facing me), then totaled the transaction. The total was $518+ and I asked about the coupon, they gave me a puzzled look and then looked at the coupon and said it did not apply to gift cards. I accept that answer and paid.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stuntgoats
I did not have success in duplicating this at Giant PA. I had $12 of items along with the VGC. The cashier rang up everything including the coupon (it showed up on the screen facing me), then totaled the transaction. The total was $518+ and I asked about the coupon, they gave me a puzzled look and then looked at the coupon and said it did not apply to gift cards. I accept that answer and paid.
I tried as well and it didn't pull off. I had $12 items plus the GC fees. Cashier hit total and it remained $0 for the coupon. We added another $6 of other items and then the coupon worked. Just have some extra items.

It seems that some of these are one off situations at specific Giants. I have one where I the $15 coupon prints w/out entering reward card and another it doesn't print. Obviously just enter rewards number.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

The $15 continues next week or gas points for sports hijab
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:57 pm

Also located in NOVA same as OP, tried to cover the purchase fee with coupon, did not work.

Originally Posted by Chelski
I tried as well and it didn't pull off. I had $12 items plus the GC fees. Cashier hit total and it remained $0 for the coupon. We added another $6 of other items and then the coupon worked. Just have some extra items.

It seems that some of these are one off situations at specific Giants. I have one where I the $15 coupon prints w/out entering reward card and another it doesn't print. Obviously just enter rewards number.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still no problem getting multiple coupons in multiple transactions at my local Giant. The problem is what to do with the certificates. I haven't tried to use them to buy another gift card yet. My store makes me buy all gift cards at the service desk, and I'd be kind of amazed if that worked. I'm sure I'll be able to buy some groceries but I find my Giant to be about 20 to 25% more expensive that the supermarket I usually shop in, so it's not so compelling. Ordinarily, the only reason I go into Giant is when there's free gas!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:30 am

I have a Giant gas points question, not related to gift cards in any way.

Hoping someone here can clarify.

I see in the weekly circular there are offers that if you buy X products, you can 40 cents or 50 cents per off gallon of gas.

Are those cumulative? meaning that if I buy X products this week and earn the 50 cents off bonus and I buy a different set of X products next week for 50 cents per gallon - have a I reached $1 off per gallon the next time I go to gas up?

I realize there is a tight time frame for using these points. Thanks
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Barefootgirl
I have a Giant gas points question, not related to gift cards in any way.

Hoping someone here can clarify.

I see in the weekly circular there are offers that if you buy X products, you can 40 cents or 50 cents per off gallon of gas.

Are those cumulative? meaning that if I buy X products this week and earn the 50 cents off bonus and I buy a different set of X products next week for 50 cents per gallon - have a I reached $1 off per gallon the next time I go to gas up?

I realize there is a tight time frame for using these points. Thanks
Yes, that's what they WANT you to do! Keep in mind that all points expire within 30 days, though, in most locations. So monitor your rolling points expiration online at their website.

Some of the "mommy sites" that specialize in grocery offers keep track of these grocery gas points deals. It's generally considered too-small-potatoes for the folks here to monitor.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Still no problem getting multiple coupons in multiple transactions at my local Giant. The problem is what to do with the certificates. I haven't tried to use them to buy another gift card yet. My store makes me buy all gift cards at the service desk, and I'd be kind of amazed if that worked. I'm sure I'll be able to buy some groceries but I find my Giant to be about 20 to 25% more expensive that the supermarket I usually shop in, so it's not so compelling. Ordinarily, the only reason I go into Giant is when there's free gas!
Even at 25% more expensive, it's free groceries, right? I mean, you're getting $15 worth of groceries for a fee of $5.95 + $1 (assuming you can liquidate the VGC at a cost of $1, which is plenty high enough). So, you're netting a little over $8. Even at 70% (25% more expensive than your other grocer, and 5% reasonable max in additional credit card points/cashback), you're still coming out net positive $5+.

Just go back to your regular grocer after the promo, right? Plus, you do get gas points on the gift card purchases, just only 15 or so at a time!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
nike.com is offering an additional 25% off their clearance stock (code is 25MORE), so perhaps that makes buying spring sports gear combined with 5x gas points appealing to someone.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by financialhippie
Even at 25% more expensive, it's free groceries, right? I mean, you're getting $15 worth of groceries for a fee of $5.95 + $1 (assuming you can liquidate the VGC at a cost of $1, which is plenty high enough). So, you're netting a little over $8. Even at 70% (25% more expensive than your other grocer, and 5% reasonable max in additional credit card points/cashback), you're still coming out net positive $5+.

Just go back to your regular grocer after the promo, right? Plus, you do get gas points on the gift card purchases, just only 15 or so at a time!
Correct, which is why I'm doing it. But, at least to me, it's annoying and time-consuming to wade through a store of massively overpriced goods to find things to buy. But my local store has a new weekly circular today, so I'll cherry-pick this weeks specials to find more things I can use at rational prices.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:18 pm

Correct, which is why I'm doing it. But, at least to me, it's annoying and time-consuming to wade through a store of massively overpriced goods to find things to buy. But my local store has a new weekly circular today, so I'll cherry-pick this weeks specials to find more things I can use at rational prices.
Gotcha, I go to 2 or 3 different grocery stores monthly, and my local S&S is one of them so it's easy to go a few more times and pick up the VGCs. A Big Y also opened up right down the street form S&S, so there's a minor price war going on, good news for us!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

I just bought an additional freezer to accompany my 10 gas cans. Now I can store more food with my gas. You need to go find coupons to pair with this deal then cost is cheaper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.