Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread has posts from 2016 onward; prior posts can be found here.
The thread for 2018 is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Giant MD and Stop & Shop's points now stack with Shell's Fuel Rewards. See more here.
If you link a Mastercard to Fuel Rewards, you will earn an additional $0.15/gal for every $100 spent on anything at Giant/S&S with that card through the end of the year.

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

- - - - - - - - - -
Current promotions
Fuel Rewards:
- $0.15/gal for every $100 spent at qualifying supermarkets with a Mastercard through the end of the year
Weekly Ad (advert starting 2017-__-__):
- Stop & Shop:
- Giant MD:
- Giant PA:
- Martin's:
- - - - - - - - - -
Additional Information

• A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

• The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

• S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

• Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

• Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

• You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

• It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

• Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

• If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behaviour if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

• If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by riphamilton
and as a double whammy, neither chase freedom nor discover have gas as a 5% bonus category this summer. both had been doing it for at least a few years.

i had to fill up my boat today. ouch.
If you have an AMEX card, some have an offer for 10% off up to $250 of gas.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by gw14
Changes updates in their "Terms and Conditions",
"Gas Rewards Change Effective 8/8/16: For every 100 points, you’ll get 10˘ off/gallon, $1.50/gal max. savings on a single fill-up to 20 gallons. Review these changes and revised program terms here."

Rest of the website still shows $2.20 on 35 gallons.
This is making Price Chopper look like a usable alternative. They occasionally run bonuses on gift cards for select Sunoco station gas, but gift cards (not visa/mc) are always at least 1 pt per dollar. 20 gals max but no max on $ off that I know of.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:14 pm

Domino's next week...
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nopoints
Domino's next week...
You'd need to eat a lot of pizza to get free gas.

This week's Sears deal might be the last hurrah under the old rules. But it's definitely a YMMV thing about buying gift cards with gift cards at Sears. I can tell you that the registers aren't hard coded to reject it. What your individual cashier will say is unpredictable in my experience.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
You'd need to eat a lot of pizza to get free gas.

This week's Sears deal might be the last hurrah under the old rules. But it's definitely a YMMV thing about buying gift cards with gift cards at Sears. I can tell you that the registers aren't hard coded to reject it. What your individual cashier will say is unpredictable in my experience.
Yes, converting Sears GC to other GCs is definitely a YMMV thing.

I tried three Sears several months back... one was a definite no (tried different cashiers), second Sears was generally no (though, had one cashier allow it), and a third was okay with it in the past but recently started to disallow it. Also tried a Kmart -- cashier didn't allow it either.

Based on that I didn't jump this deal.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:50 pm

i bought a bunch of Sears and was able to convert into VGC's (lucky me).
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA, Southwest
anyone know if this program has officially changed to $1.50 max credit & 20 gals per purchase?
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:17 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by slicktraveler
anyone know if this program has officially changed to $1.50 max credit & 20 gals per purchase?
Sadly this is now implemented at S&S.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 7:05 am

Is this company-wide? I know it was the policy at some locations.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 8:47 am

There are big signs at the entrance of all my local S&S stores saying $1.50 max and 20 gallons max. Price Chopper has 20 gallons max but no max on $ off per gallon. In addition, when there is no incentive, any gift card (besides amex, visa,mc, price chopper) give you a point per dollar just like other groceries.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yup the days of free/almost free gas are essentially gone with the changes. No more hoarding up with the 5 gallon plastic tanks.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Yup the days of free/almost free gas are essentially gone with the changes. No more hoarding up with the 5 gallon plastic tanks.
I got 7 of em and a battery operated pump lol. I'm glad I was there for it.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz
I got 7 of em and a battery operated pump lol. I'm glad I was there for it.
Anyone want to purchase some 5 gal gas cans? Looks like I don't need all 10 of them any more.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:22 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by Chelski
Anyone want to purchase some 5 gal gas cans? Looks like I don't need all 10 of them any more.
Craigslist for MSers!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:10 pm

Has anybody tried to combine the stop and shop gas points and fuelrewardsdining. Can you swipe two cards and get both bonuses. Up until now i did not need more than $2.20 a gallon now with a limit of $1.50 can you add the dining bonus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.