Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread has posts from 2016 onward; prior posts can be found here.
The thread for 2018 is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Giant MD and Stop & Shop's points now stack with Shell's Fuel Rewards. See more here.
If you link a Mastercard to Fuel Rewards, you will earn an additional $0.15/gal for every $100 spent on anything at Giant/S&S with that card through the end of the year.

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

- - - - - - - - - -
Current promotions
Fuel Rewards:
- $0.15/gal for every $100 spent at qualifying supermarkets with a Mastercard through the end of the year
Weekly Ad (advert starting 2017-__-__):
- Stop & Shop:
- Giant MD:
- Giant PA:
- Martin's:
- - - - - - - - - -
Additional Information

• A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

• The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

• S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

• Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

• Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

• You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

• It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

• Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

• If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behaviour if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

• If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JJLeahy47
They compare them AFTER the transaction? That's ridiculous. Do they go back in void the transaction is they don't match?

I just bought a $1000 MO with two 500 VGCs no problem so it's definitely possible. Honestly you should try another S&S.

Its definitely a YMMV thing. What has happened is they let me swipe the card and then before they click what they need to in order for the transaction to go thru, they hit you with I need to see the card you used and say to make sure the #s match. If you give them a legit bank DC you wont get the MO since the #s wont match, hand over the VGC and they will KO the whole transaction

Ive even had it where I used a DC reload in a friends name and got carded after I inputted the pin, was asked for my DL and DC and I said no ID and the DC was a friends. No MO

The places I usually hit and know me no problem as long as I know whos working the CS

Its great if before doing anything they want the ID and to see the DC then I can hand over a DC that is dead and input the wrong PIN and when it doesnt go thru simply say, well I just changed the pin this morning, got to call the bank and see whats what. The problem is as I said above when they only ask to see everything after the pin has been entered then I know no MO. And theres no way to know you will be hit with this till its too late
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by msthegame
Where in central Jersey are you? Whereever I fill up, the points don't go through if the gas price is less then $2.20. I always have to get gas that's more than $2.20 to use my rewards.
Originally Posted by msthegame
Yes, Shell. I don't know how that would work because attendant is there outside and don't want to pay out of pocket for full pump if it doesn't work cause I already have too many points and want to burn them before the time expires.
Has anyone had this issue recently? I'm looking to fill up at a Shell in central Jersey next week.

Also, can someone clarify whether the pump reflects the drop in price (to .019?) immediately, or do you only find out after filling the tank whether the discount went through or not? It's not clear to me from this post.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:15 am

They compare them AFTER the transaction? That's ridiculous. Do they go back in void the transaction is they don't match?

I just bought a $1000 MO with two 500 VGCs no problem so it's definitely possible. Honestly you should try another S&S.
Yes. Granted, S&S didn't used to do this until the last month when fraud ramped up. But nonetheless, it any sleight of hand will not work.

Unless you can find a debit card with last 4 as your CC...
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by lmagnott
Has anyone had this issue recently? I'm looking to fill up at a Shell in central Jersey next week.

Also, can someone clarify whether the pump reflects the drop in price (to .019?) immediately, or do you only find out after filling the tank whether the discount went through or not? It's not clear to me from this post.
The price changes before you select your gas type
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:03 am

The price changes before you select your gas type
In New Jersey, you don't select anything. An attendant must pump gas. If you attempt to pump gas, they call SWAT, crash the Hindenburg on your head and the Pope will excommunicate you.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Car Jack
In New Jersey, you don't select anything. An attendant must pump gas. If you attempt to pump gas, they call SWAT, crash the Hindenburg on your head and the Pope will excommunicate you.
It's really annoying, sometimes you just forget (I'm from NY). And every time you have to wait to find an exit on route whatever you're on so you can turn around, then you end up on a different route and that's how I always end up lost in NJ. Why do I ever go there!?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA, Southwest
Does anyone know if Giant is waiting for new card readers so they can accept credit cards again for purchase of gift cards or is it just not going to be allowed at all anymore for use of a credit card when you purchase gift cards?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton, Choice, Wyndham
It sounds like they are leaning towards the latter. Discontinuing using credit cards to buy V/MC/Amex for good.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:39 am

I asked them that yesterday and they said it is not going to go back when they get the new card readers. Fraud issue.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by taildragger
I asked them that yesterday and they said it is not going to go back when they get the new card readers. Fraud issue.
We already have the new terminals in the DC area, still swipe-only though.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
big y (a stop and shop competitor in CT and western mass) enacted a similar debit/cash only policy this week. they seem to have chip capable terminals in all of their stores, but still have people swipe their cards.

i would assume, like airlines, that the loss prevention departments of competing stores communicate with each other.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:02 pm

The stores are tired of MS. This has little to do with "fraud". They lose too much money selling all these gift cards on credit.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:39 am

This is a fraud issue. No doubt.

The managers at my store encouraged my MS. Everyone at a couple stores knew me, and if I was only buying groceries asked me if I wanted a few cards.

Maybe they're just idiots who don't know the bottom line financially, but I doubt that.

They're not going to sell a product that loses money.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by cb11
They're not going to sell a product that loses money.
Exactly. 5K in VGC on credit = loosing money!
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by hokiegl
Exactly. 5K in VGC on credit = loosing money!
ehhh and all the major chains just realized they were losing money in the 1st quarter of 2016? I also have my doubts about their profitability, but it seems to me, pulling the GC was a response to the liability shift from the October deadline. Maybe I'm wrong, but maybe the far worse alternative is that it doesn't matter who is wrong, and they don't bring them back either way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.