Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread has posts from 2016 onward; prior posts can be found here.
The thread for 2018 is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Giant MD and Stop & Shop's points now stack with Shell's Fuel Rewards. See more here.
If you link a Mastercard to Fuel Rewards, you will earn an additional $0.15/gal for every $100 spent on anything at Giant/S&S with that card through the end of the year.

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

- - - - - - - - - -
Current promotions
Fuel Rewards:
- $0.15/gal for every $100 spent at qualifying supermarkets with a Mastercard through the end of the year
Weekly Ad (advert starting 2017-__-__):
- Stop & Shop:
- Giant MD:
- Giant PA:
- Martin's:
- - - - - - - - - -
Additional Information

• A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

• The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

• S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

• Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

• Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

• You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

• It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

• Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

• If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behaviour if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

• If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:06 pm

More evidence this ALL fraud related. I have been trying to speak to all the managers I know and this one today said that S&S has lost millions since last year due to fraud. She did know about the October deadline for chip and assumed this is why the store is now responsible for all the losses. She heard summer as being the deadline for actually using chip at the registers.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:13 pm

Rest in peace, Giant/S&S... A tip of the hat for all of my friends in the Northeast.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

YMMV.

Last edited by Chelski; Mar 17, 2016 at 2:19 pm
Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Yes this whole thing has been frustrating especially since the terminals in the stores I went to all seemed to be chip enabled but I always had to swipe the CC.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
Is there walmart in your area? USPS Office?
That was actually directed to tuphat since we're in the same region and they might know specifics, but the closest Walmart with the Money Centre (both the machine and counter) is a bit out of my way and I hear that most gift cards don't work at USPS - they apparently process money orders as an ATM transaction?

Last edited by emmanuel_t; Mar 11, 2016 at 6:03 pm
Old Mar 11, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA XPlat
seriously, on the last day of the gas point promo??

jerks
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:11 pm

Signs up on all register pin pads , at least grabbed some earlier in the week.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
Speaking of liquidation, MO with GC worked once at Giant, the next time I tried I was scowled at. I've never had any luck with Harris Teeter. Safeway are cash only. Can you recommend any shops for liquidation?
So try again. The same CSR can't be working all the time. I have never had any problems buying MOs at S&S with VGCs. Just wasn't doing it because I was buying VGCs there. Now I plan on using S&S as a MO resource and getting my Gebits elsewhere.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by gw14
So try again. The same CSR can't be working all the time. I have never had any problems buying MOs at S&S with VGCs. Just wasn't doing it because I was buying VGCs there. Now I plan on using S&S as a MO resource and getting my Gebits elsewhere.

The three I use to rotate thru have signs that MOs can only be bought with bank debit cards with your name on it and they ask to see them. No slight of hand as they watch to be sure you use the one you showed them.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by horseymen
Rest in peace, Giant/S&S... A tip of the hat for all of my friends in the Northeast.
And pour some beer on the curb for the S&S clique.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
I suppose you have missed the last several pages of this thread where people said they were no longer able to buy GCs (with CC). As far as I know no GC liquidating avenues died along with the change S&S had implemented yesterday.
I take it either you didnt read my post carefully enough or misunderstood it.

Yes SnS & Giant went ca$h only, but those arent the only places to buy GCs was my pt. True you wont get gas rewards and since the other outlets arent supermkts a person wont get any extra pts using a CC that gave the extra pts for grocery shopping. So in mnay caes it wont be worth buying the GCs since what you will net wont be worth one stime. However I happen to have a few CCs where even at 1 to 1 its still not such a bad deal, but no sense to simply keep loading up with pts where I already have a nice stash

But for those who only want gas pts and supermkt purchases , then its not looking good at all, but for the time being there are other outlets just less bang for the buck
Old Mar 12, 2016, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

YMMV.

Last edited by Chelski; Mar 17, 2016 at 2:17 pm
Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
The three I use to rotate thru have signs that MOs can only be bought with bank debit cards with your name on it and they ask to see them. No slight of hand as they watch to be sure you use the one you showed them.
You should try another store. The counter is high at most stores so they will not see you switch the card.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:53 am

They compare the card you hand them with the one on the actual receipt. So no matter the sleight of hand.

In the Northeast S&S was the last great MS opportunity. Really blows.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by cb11
They compare the card you hand them with the one on the actual receipt. So no matter the sleight of hand.

In the Northeast S&S was the last great MS opportunity. Really blows.
They compare them AFTER the transaction? That's ridiculous. Do they go back in void the transaction is they don't match?

I just bought a $1000 MO with two 500 VGCs no problem so it's definitely possible. Honestly you should try another S&S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.