FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   failed Checkfreepay attempt that got credited to card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1739053-failed-checkfreepay-attempt-got-credited-card.html)

PeaceandPost Jan 14, 2016 1:49 pm

failed Checkfreepay attempt that got credited to card

I have been trying to gather some feedback about this topic in the "Billpay at Walmart" thread but haven't gotten much response and anything at all would be appreciated. So I attempted a $1998 checkfreepay at a Kroger back on 12/17. It was a failed attempt as the CSR said no GC's after I made my first swipe. He did let me do the first swipe and it was approved and then he got suspicious and asked to see the cards. So I said just void the whole thing and he said he did and I left. I later liquidated all the VGC's I had including the one that he let me swipe before he voided the transaction.

On 12/19 a $1998 payment came through my Wells Fargo (I paid Visa next day) online account. At the time a couple people in the other thread said it would be reversed or Checkfree would contact me to pay the money. The cashier did enter my phone number into the Checkfree system. But as of today the payment has never been reversed nor has Checkfree made any contact with me and it has been almost a full month.

My question is is there anything I'm obligated to do here? Or can I just continue on and if the payment reverses itself/Checkfree contacts me they do and if they don't, they don't?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

isriam Jan 14, 2016 2:39 pm

i'd keep 1998 in my account for a year. you never know when they will find out that they got ripped off.

Alcibiades Jan 14, 2016 2:41 pm

Paulie Walnuts does such collections, beware

CWAL Jan 14, 2016 2:43 pm

I had an ACH from my bank to another that had some screwey issues - It got debited twice, and arrived once. They credited me back the second debit. A few months later, they credited me the same amount *again*. I went into the bank the next day and told them about their error. It's been quite a while, and they still haven't taken their money back, so I'm doing exactly as the prior poster suggested, and just leaving the amount in my account.

It's up to you whether you want to do as I did and proactively contact the institution.

With WF involved, I would recommend you to solve it on the CFP side to ensure they don't screw up your relationship with WF by trying to pull the payment back. That's just my advice.

Zgirl Jan 14, 2016 2:50 pm

Are you sure you didn't do the billpay twice that day? First bill pay at Kroger which was canceled and then you went to Walmart with the same 4 VGCs to do the $1998 bill pay again......and that's why you see the $1998 credit in your WF account?

CWAL Jan 14, 2016 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Zgirl (Post 26019548)
Are you sure you didn't do the billpay twice that day? First bill pay at Kroger which was canceled and then you went to Walmart with the same 4 VGCs to do the $1998 bill pay again......and that's why you see the $1998 credit in your WF account?

This is an excellent reason to do BP for 1997.91, 1997.92, 1997.93, etc.

devnull Jan 14, 2016 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by PeaceandPost (Post 26019213)
My question is is there anything I'm obligated to do here? Or can I just continue on and if the payment reverses itself/Checkfree contacts me they do and if they don't, they don't?

Assuming what Zgirl said isn't the case, the right course of action (ethically and likely, legally) would be to reach out to the involved parties and track down the error. I'd try contacting CheckFree first, and if they say everything looks fine on their end (i.e. they got paid), you'd need to go speak with the accountant at the Kroger store. This will draw attention, but there's not much else you can do.

PeaceandPost Jan 14, 2016 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Zgirl (Post 26019548)

no, I attempted the BP at 3 different Krogers that day and all of them turned me down and didn't let me complete the transaction.

PeaceandPost Jan 14, 2016 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by devnull (Post 26019646)
Assuming what Zgirl said isn't the case, the right course of action (ethically and likely, legally) would be to reach out to the involved parties and track down the error. I'd try contacting CheckFree first, and if they say everything looks fine on their end (i.e. they got paid), you'd need to go speak with the accountant at the Kroger store. This will draw attention, but there's not much else you can do.

thanks for the feedback, but this just sounds like it could be a big hassle especially since I don't remember the Kroger location this happened at. Am I really responsible to track this down myself? Shouldn't the burden be on them to contact me or reverse the transaction?

That being said, I obviously don't want anything negative to come of this. This couldn't possibly be sent to collections or anything like that without my knowledge or at least an attempt to contact me first?

KYBOSH Jan 14, 2016 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by CWAL (Post 26019635)
This is an excellent reason to do BP for 1997.91, 1997.92, 1997.93, etc.

Aint nobody got time for that...

flyertalker9867674 Jan 14, 2016 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by KYBOSH (Post 26021482)
Aint nobody got time for that...

amen

CWAL Jan 14, 2016 11:30 pm

If you say so... All my CFP are different amounts, it takes literally maybe 5 extra seconds to drain the remaining balance later and is worth the peace of mind.

devnull Jan 15, 2016 9:47 am

Originally Posted by PeaceandPost (Post 26020229)
thanks for the feedback, but this just sounds like it could be a big hassle especially since I don't remember the Kroger location this happened at. Am I really responsible to track this down myself? Shouldn't the burden be on them to contact me or reverse the transaction?

That being said, I obviously don't want anything negative to come of this. This couldn't possibly be sent to collections or anything like that without my knowledge or at least an attempt to contact me first?

If this happened to me, I would want to have on record a good faith attempt at resolving the matter. Since you don't know which Kroger location to go to, I would try CheckFree and see if they're able to shed any more light on this. Even if they can't resolve the non-payment issue, they may be able to look up the payment and tell you which store it originated from. If they can't help you, it sounds like there isn't much more that can be done until/unless someone contacts you, but I would document the attempt (dates/times/names of people spoken with).

I doubt they would send it to collections without some attempt at contacting you, but IMO that possibility (however slight) just makes it more important to attempt to resolve this now and document everything you do. If you can't resolve it now, as others have said, save the funds so they can be returned when/if someone contacts you.

Again, I can't say what will happen (as I have no idea), only what I would do if I were in your situation.