Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by poisonsag
Haven't loaded gb in a month now..Last month worked fine but a friend reported he was charged 3.74 for his load today...anything changed ??
was it a new card? Visa?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:53 am

sure. You can pay CC with no issues.
Originally Posted by ricohitman
Can you not pay CC's with this? You mentioned just mortgage and car loan. Never used GB before.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Can you not pay CC's with this? You mentioned just mortgage and car loan. Never used GB before.
I do occasional $1000 or less payments on CC bills.
I also use billpay for rent, daycare, other routine expenses.

I don't go over $1,000 per check, because then it takes longer and to me that implies higher scrutiny.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:59 pm
fMD

Hi everyone, I got a gobank checking/debit card from WM a few years back but haven't used it in a while. I recall being able to load directly with a CC. Is this still possible?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by poisonsag
Haven't loaded gb in a month now..Last month worked fine but a friend reported he was charged 3.74 for his load today...anything changed ??
Loaded a GB last week with a $500 VGC and again today. No charge. No problems.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: none
Me too, loaded 2 times today at walmart with mastercard go bank card , no extra charge for load.

Last edited by mySimon411; Jun 18, 2019 at 6:45 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
was it a new card? Visa?
I wasnt aware but looks like friend ordered a new GB which was Visa. Mine is MC so dont see any issues for this month's load. Thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
I just bought a gobank mastercard instore and signed up online. Told me I have a limited access account and I can't deposit anymore funds. How do I fix this or this a standard hold time and they eventually lift it?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:58 pm

I just bought a gobank mastercard instore and signed up online. Told me I have a limited access account and I can't deposit anymore funds. How do I fix this or this a standard hold time and they eventually lift it?
The packaged is a temporary card, without your name on it, which is very limited. When you get your permanent card in the mail, that you can load more funds on. Patience!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by ElPresidente
The packaged is a temporary card, without your name on it, which is very limited. When you get your permanent card in the mail, that you can load more funds on. Patience!
During the signup process there was no notification of them sending me a permanent card. Was there supposed to be?

Well guess I am SOL I definitely made sure all the info was correct.

We understand your concern. A failed verification may be caused by, but is not limited to, address change, recent name change, or no information found by our external source. Your temporary card is now registered and ready for use. This card is not reloadable. And we were unable to verify your personal information and cannot issue a personalized card

Thanks,

GoBank Support

Last edited by ricohitman; Jun 19, 2019 at 9:00 pm
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:08 pm

Ask them what it takes to verify identity.

They probably just want you to scan in an ID card or something with address on it.

I recall having to do that for one of my Target cards, back during that halycon era.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ElPresidente
Ask them what it takes to verify identity.

They probably just want you to scan in an ID card or something with address on it.

I recall having to do that for one of my Target cards, back during that halycon era.
i had this same issue. Mine was due to a failed address verification. They won’t accept any sort of verification after the fact, the poster is SOL based on the emails I got about this issue.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor

i had this same issue. Mine was due to a failed address verification. They won’t accept any sort of verification after the fact, the poster is SOL based on the emails I got about this issue.
We are sorry. There is no option for you to get a permanent card.

Thanks,

GoBank

Were you able to just buy another one? Or am I SOL with that too?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:21 am

Were you able to just buy another one? Or am I SOL with that too?
From DPs I've read, the work around was enrolling their family/trusted friend with different address to avoid getting flagged and rejected. If you register with the same info you got rejected, result will be the same.

You can spend whatever load you put into the temp card as long as balance is there.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:01 pm

Anyways to get around the $8.95 monthly fee other than DD of $500 per month?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.