Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:44 am
CDO
Suspended

Is gobank sensitive to volume? Are they ok with the max every month?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:20 am

Anyone having any issues with GB at WM? Yesterday, I got a warning saying debit not available, I came home and checked the VGC and it has $500.

Update: VGC purchased yesterday worked today. I purchased the VGC today and tried to load it and it did not work. Not sure if something has changed where money is not immediately available?? and that is why when you load it next day it works.

Last edited by Gitangali; Jul 1, 2018 at 7:20 pm
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:07 pm

Lately my VGCs are taking 40+ min to activate (at least for GD VGCs).
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:58 pm

Tried with Simon VGC with split 1K load and failed after the first 500$ load
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Stivelio
Tried with Simon VGC with split 1K load and failed after the first 500$ load
same here, it appears its nation wide issue , and doesnt seem to be like system glitch.
the only split tender allows is 400 split 2 with 200 each and money order seems not affected by it ...just yet
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:55 pm

Got the msg "exceed card load limit" while loading vgc to gb debit card at wm.

First time seeing such msg

Anybody knows what this means?

I was not loading anywhere close to 1k or 2.5k per 24 h
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:03 pm

I got the same "exceed card load limit" message yesterday (never seen it before) when I was trying to load $900 split across 3 cards. Then I loaded a single $500 card and it went through. Today i loaded $500 split across 3 cards in a single transaction that worked fine as well. It appears the new limit is $500.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:07 pm

Yes, seems to be the case.

$600 didnt work for me yesterday, but $500 did.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by gnomey

500$/ day or 500$/transaction?
also is it just me noticing this today or was Walmart never listed as a location for reload on the gobank site?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Stivelio
500$/ day or 500$/transaction?
also is it just me noticing this today or was Walmart never listed as a location for reload on the gobank site?
per txn

i didnt attempt more txn after that msg lest it triggers something on GB's end to put human eyes on my account.

it has always been 1k or 2.5k max total per 24h, i think. cant remember since i never load that much per day anyway

agree. the wm icon used to be on the website i thought. i also noticed it missing today. hope it is not an omen
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: MR, UR, UA
per txn

i didnt attempt more txn after that msg lest it triggers something on GB's end to put human eyes on my account.

it has always been 1k or 2.5k max total per 24h, i think. cant remember since i never load that much per day anyway

agree. the wm icon used to be on the website i thought. i also noticed it missing today. hope it is not an omen
The location finder still gives wm in the results, FWIW.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:51 am
formerly willbbiddy

Generally what locations are free to reload? I tried to find this on the site, but maybe I'm just overlooking it.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by halluc1nati0n
Hmm.. I learnt that you'd need to use the 'Change payment type' button when it appears for the USB MCGCs (to process it as a debit transaction), but it never showed up with the swipe (I know that screen does show up - as it did when I swiped a legitimate debit card). There is some talk that this will only work in Super WMs or WM NMs. The WM I tried this at was neither of those, so perhaps that is what I was missing. I'm going to try at either a Super WM or a WM NM and report back. Can someone in the know comment?
​​
It depends on the card reader unit. When using a MCGC, you either have to hit "Change Payment" on the screen or the "Cancel" red button on the keypad to trigger the "Debit" option. Its hard to describe what the card reader looks like but my advice would be to pay attention when using MCGCs and if you don't see a yellow or red (I forgot) "Change Payment" button on the screen then you know the next time you swipe (after you tell them that you want to try again) you have to hit the red "Cancel" button on the keypad instead to trigger the "Debit" option. However most WMs are changing their card readers to the black modern ones which you would press the "Change Payment" on the screen since they accept the chip cards.

Originally Posted by svasandani
I got the same "exceed card load limit" message yesterday (never seen it before) when I was trying to load $900 split across 3 cards. Then I loaded a single $500 card and it went through. Today i loaded $500 split across 3 cards in a single transaction that worked fine as well. It appears the new limit is $500.

So basically for each card it is $500 max per transaction or per day meaning I could do a second transaction for $500 with no issue? I wonder how long this has been in effect. I haven't done a Gobank Reload since the beginning of 2018.

Last edited by ericdabbs; Jul 7, 2018 at 11:30 am
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:43 pm
CDO
Suspended

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
It depends on the card reader unit. When using a MCGC, you either have to hit "Change Payment" on the screen or the "Cancel" red button on the keypad to trigger the "Debit" option. Its hard to describe what the card reader looks like but my advice would be to pay attention when using MCGCs and if you don't see a yellow or red (I forgot) "Change Payment" button on the screen then you know the next time you swipe (after you tell them that you want to try again) you have to hit the red "Cancel" button on the keypad instead to trigger the "Debit" option. However most WMs are changing their card readers to the black modern ones which you would press the "Change Payment" on the screen since they accept the chip cards.

So basically for each card it is $500 max per transaction or per day meaning I could do a second transaction for $500 with no issue? I wonder how long this has been in effect. I haven't done a Gobank Reload since the beginning of 2018.
I used to be able to do 2k at a time but this was about 4-5 yrs ago. Not sure what limits are now.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:40 pm

Had the same "exceed card load limit" few minutes back @ WM when trying to do 3 x $300, anyone else can confirm doing $500 is working fine?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.