Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Wouldn't bother. Limits are so low compared to Serve.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I disagree. After I was purged by Serve I have been unable to sign up for another Serve or BB card. The monthly (rolling 30 day) limit on GB is 3K, which is lower than Serve. Do be aware that GB has a monthly account fee (which I believe is $8.95), but that is waived if you set up a $500 monthly direct deposit.

See post 415 above. After a few months of good behavior, perhaps you'd be able to push the limit some.

My level of MS is way down compared to a few years ago (when I had 3 Serve accounts and also several local WMs that were cooperative on MOs). I'm down to GB and MOs at local grocery stores, so GB is still a good chunk of my monthly MS total.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
I'm on vacation in Palm Desert, CA. I tried using my GC.Com VGCs at 2 different WM locations (at the Money Center) to load my GoBank card. Both transactions failed. Is anyone having simular issues?

I should add:
1. One of these stores worked fine a few days ago
2. GC.Com shows that my cards have the correct balance
3. I tried several different cards. It's unlikely that all have bad mag stripes

(also posted in the gc.Com thread)
Looking back through this thread I realized that I posted this a few months ago. The answer was behind curtain #3 . I had 5 VGCs with me when in Palm Desert that weren't working. I realized that they all had bad mag stripes when I got home and they continued to fail to work at multiple stores. I had to call GC.com and have all 5 VGCs replaced. I've had no problems since. All 5 of the bad cards were from the same order.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
I disagree. After I was purged by Serve I have been unable to sign up for another Serve or BB card. The monthly (rolling 30 day) limit on GB is 3K, which is lower than Serve. Do be aware that GB has a monthly account fee (which I believe is $8.95), but that is waived if you set up a $500 monthly direct deposit.

See post 415 above. After a few months of good behavior, perhaps you'd be able to push the limit some.

My level of MS is way down compared to a few years ago (when I had 3 Serve accounts and also several local WMs that were cooperative on MOs). I'm down to GB and MOs at local grocery stores, so GB is still a good chunk of my monthly MS total.
thank you for the info! I mostly do MOs in WMs, but since I have to be in WMs anyway, I thought I might try to drain VGCs from Staples and OM (those $200 and $300 ones) via GB. Besides, from what I understand, you can load your GB at a regular checkout, not necessarily at the MC. I might give it a try, for what it's worth.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by in4tar
thank you for the info! I mostly do MOs in WMs, but since I have to be in WMs anyway, I thought I might try to drain VGCs from Staples and OM (those $200 and $300 ones) via GB. Besides, from what I understand, you can load your GB at a regular checkout, not necessarily at the MC. I might give it a try, for what it's worth.
IMO doing those obvious GCs is exactly what will get this shutdown too.

Edit: Do everyone a favor and don't show the cashier something that obviously says GIFT on it when you inevitably get asked ... have a real debit card ready to show them.

Last edited by pharmawalk; Feb 19, 2018 at 6:59 am
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:18 pm

Can anyone confirm if you can load GB with Gebit at stores other than Walmart such as FD, DG?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by SideShowBob
Can anyone confirm if you can load GB with Gebit at stores other than Walmart such as FD, DG?
Heard no, apparently WM only. Damn you GB!!!!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by SideShowBob
Heard no, apparently WM only. Damn you GB!!!!
I have not tried.
But CVS, Walgreen, DG and FD shows up Money pack reload network. It says reload with Cash.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
IMO doing those obvious GCs is exactly what will get this shutdown too.

Edit: Do everyone a favor and don't show the cashier something that obviously says GIFT on it when you inevitably get asked ... have a real debit card ready to show them.
I load from my side of the register. Sometimes the cashier swipes the GB card on their side, but I always swipe the GC on my side. And I've occasionally had cashiers tell me that their limit is $200, so I think loading $200 is probably less conspicuous than loading $500. Then again, I only load one at a time, not multiples. I'm sure trying to load multiples would be more of a red flag.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:08 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by SkippyME

I load from my side of the register. Sometimes the cashier swipes the GB card on their side, but I always swipe the GC on my side. And I've occasionally had cashiers tell me that their limit is $200, so I think loading $200 is probably less conspicuous than loading $500. Then again, I only load one at a time, not multiples. I'm sure trying to load multiples would be more of a red flag.
Never heard about any max load, and I have never been refused a $500 load. Generally do not do multiples, though in the past I have done of 2x $200 when I had a lot of them to get rid of. I said it before, make it look like the target market. They are not doing multi loads and also when paying bills are more likely to be paying off sub $1k bills rather than $5k at a time.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:24 am

Folks,

I need some guidance/help/suggestion for dealing with gobank.

I have been using my friend's card for almost two years, DD from my Ally, and paying my CCs, plus liquidating gift cards. For some reason, Ally swept all my external accounts two months ago and suspended this one. I guess because the name does not match.

Then gobank blocked my account as well. The problem is that I have some money inside, they won't allow me to use it until the block is lifted. My friend was helping me to call and providing IDs they required. However, after a whole month and more than dozen calls. The case goes nowhere. The customer service representative simply keeps telling me that they didn't get a response from internal fraud investigation team. And it looks any escalation failed. We have talked to the fraud team multiple times, no result at all. They said they would call us back from the corporate, it never happened.

So, what the next step that we can do to get the money back? BBB? CFPD? Any other suggestion?

TIA
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by cchang4
Folks,

I need some guidance/help/suggestion for dealing with gobank.

I have been using my friend's card for almost two years, DD from my Ally, and paying my CCs, plus liquidating gift cards. For some reason, Ally swept all my external accounts two months ago and suspended this one. I guess because the name does not match.

Then gobank blocked my account as well. The problem is that I have some money inside, they won't allow me to use it until the block is lifted. My friend was helping me to call and providing IDs they required. However, after a whole month and more than dozen calls. The case goes nowhere. The customer service representative simply keeps telling me that they didn't get a response from internal fraud investigation team. And it looks any escalation failed. We have talked to the fraud team multiple times, no result at all. They said they would call us back from the corporate, it never happened.

So, what the next step that we can do to get the money back? BBB? CFPD? Any other suggestion?

TIA
A month is more than enough time to conduct an investigation such as this. I would a) Call GoBank and tell them that if the matter is not resolved within 5 business days then you are going to file a complaint with the CPFB; and b) timely file the complaint if it's not resolved. Either way it should get their attention as I would think most of their customers don't even know what the CPFB is and they will have to respond to a CPFB inquiry.

Good luck.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:53 am

Venmo would block my money for 2 months until I send complaint to CPFB. Money was available next week after.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by cchang4
Folks,

since the card is in your friend's name and he/she is willing to send IDs required to verify identity and your case has not been resolved, I suggest you go to CFPB (not sure though if this org still has "teeth"). Last year, when my billpay didn't reach the payee, I've gone back n forth with them for 45 days(!) and they just kept stringing me along without giving me provisional credit while they do their s-l-o-w investigation. I just submitted a complaint to CFPB who passed on my complaint to the bank HQ and only then did I get my funds back in less than one week after I got a call from a personnel who reviewed my issue and sent back funds to my card.

When dealing with this bank, great when it works but once you encounter problems, you need the patience of Job to get your issue(s) resolved. Your issue is different from mine but if you don't get answers, try CFPB. Good luck!
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:29 pm

Thanks @JeffD and @Mamibear for your suggestions! I guess CFPD is the way to go. I cannot believe what we have gone through so far. It is a simple matter, yet, they just don't really want to solve it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.