Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:56 am

Yes, from my experience in the first month with GB, the loads at WM did NOT count toward waiving the fee.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:33 pm

I have had a Walmart Money Card (Greendot) for about 6 months. They sent me an email saying they closed it and wouldn't be able to load anymore. I thought I would be safe with this because they charge a $3 loading fee. I wasn't able to get anybody on the phone so I sent an email. They wrote me back and said the system detected unusual activity. I wrote them back asking what is unusual activity. I loaded the card and used the funds. I loaded about $5000 this month. Liquidated using bill pay and debit purchases with cash back and also money orders. What a joke these cards are.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sandybestdog
I have had a Walmart Money Card (Greendot) for about 6 months. They sent me an email saying they closed it and wouldn't be able to load anymore. I thought I would be safe with this because they charge a $3 loading fee. I wasn't able to get anybody on the phone so I sent an email. They wrote me back and said the system detected unusual activity. I wrote them back asking what is unusual activity. I loaded the card and used the funds. I loaded about $5000 this month. Liquidated using bill pay and debit purchases with cash back and also money orders. What a joke these cards are.
They arent a joke, you need to realize that MSers arent the type of folks they want to do biz with, they wont beable to make $$ off of us. If a person falls into the type of sucker they are after , that sucker will be thrilled as will GB. Its not only GB but all the issuers. Heck banks have also closed up some folks accts including their checking and savings
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:04 pm

Today went to walmart to load two $500 vgc. First one went fine however the second $500 load failed, screen said transaction cancelled and employee said it was denied. Looking at the vgc statement shows the $500 transaction by walmart followed by an immediate refund of $500 back to the card.

I didn't press the issue/try again since the employee wanted to inspect the card and I was trying to avoid this. Instead just bought a MO at safeway without issue.

Just wondering if others experienced this, is it a one time glitch like Serve used to have or something else? In the past 30 days I've loaded 3.5k so the failed load would have brought my account up to 4.5k in the past 30 days.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: MR, UR, UA
Originally Posted by mike64b
Today went to walmart to load two $500 vgc. First one went fine however the second $500 load failed, screen said transaction cancelled and employee said it was denied. Looking at the vgc statement shows the $500 transaction by walmart followed by an immediate refund of $500 back to the card.

I didn't press the issue/try again since the employee wanted to inspect the card and I was trying to avoid this. Instead just bought a MO at safeway without issue.

Just wondering if others experienced this, is it a one time glitch like Serve used to have or something else? In the past 30 days I've loaded 3.5k so the failed load would have brought my account up to 4.5k in the past 30 days.
Cash load limit is 3k per rolling 30 days.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by sponge_gto
Cash load limit is 3k per rolling 30 days.
I thought that wasn't actually enforced? Many DPs show people loading much more than 3k in 30 days. Of course, it will certainly get you shut down faster but I don't think that was my issue..
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:18 am

after the shutdown, still able to liquidate remaining fund via billpay & ACH, correct?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:55 pm

I hit the 'Tender not allowed' error, when trying to load $200 USB MC GC at a WM register. I thought this was supposed to work. The moment I swiped the GC, the signature screen flashed for like 2 seconds and the 'Tender not allowed' error showed up (no place to enter PIN). This was on my new Gobank permanent DC with $20 loaded on it. Any ideas why it could have been declined?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
after the shutdown, still able to liquidate remaining fund via billpay & ACH, correct?
I don't see the bill pay link anymore on the website, so I think it was disabled. Cashback on a debit purchase is working fine. It's almost depleted now.

Walmart money card and Gobank are both Greendot but seem to be somewhat separate. My Gobank is still good. I think one thing that could have helped is having some direct deposits. I do that with the Gobank and have been fine. Even though it wasn't required with WMC, when I first opened it, I tried to do a deposit to look legitimate. My bank called me and said they were canceling it because Greendot isn't a real bank. They continue to process the Gobank when I do that.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by halluc1nati0n
I hit the 'Tender not allowed' error, when trying to load $200 USB MC GC at a WM register. I thought this was supposed to work. The moment I swiped the GC, the signature screen flashed for like 2 seconds and the 'Tender not allowed' error showed up (no place to enter PIN). This was on my new Gobank permanent DC with $20 loaded on it. Any ideas why it could have been declined?
Exact same thing happened to me today. It was at a Walmart that I had the same thing happen before and it worked fine at another location. This was at the register, not the customer service desk. I then tried a Meta and it still didn't work.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:39 pm

I don't see the bill pay link anymore on the website, so I think it was disabled. Cashback on a debit purchase is working fine. It's almost depleted now.

Walmart money card and Gobank are both Greendot but seem to be somewhat separate. My Gobank is still good. I think one thing that could have helped is having some direct deposits. I do that with the Gobank and have been fine. Even though it wasn't required with WMC, when I first opened it, I tried to do a deposit to look legitimate. My bank called me and said they were canceling it because Greendot isn't a real bank. They continue to process the Gobank when I do that.
Exact same thing happened to me today. It was at a Walmart that I had the same thing happen before and it worked fine at another location. This was at the register, not the customer service desk. I then tried a Meta and it still didn't work.
Hmm.. I learnt that you'd need to use the 'Change payment type' button when it appears for the USB MCGCs (to process it as a debit transaction), but it never showed up with the swipe (I know that screen does show up - as it did when I swiped a legitimate debit card). There is some talk that this will only work in Super WMs or WM NMs. The WM I tried this at was neither of those, so perhaps that is what I was missing. I'm going to try at either a Super WM or a WM NM and report back. Can someone in the know comment?
​​
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by halluc1nati0n
Hmm.. I learnt that you'd need to use the 'Change payment type' button when it appears for the USB MCGCs (to process it as a debit transaction), but it never showed up with the swipe (I know that screen does show up - as it did when I swiped a legitimate debit card). There is some talk that this will only work in Super WMs or WM NMs. The WM I tried this at was neither of those, so perhaps that is what I was missing. I'm going to try at either a Super WM or a WM NM and report back. Can someone in the know comment?
​​
I was trying to load a meta in this case. It should have worked. This is a store that I have had trouble with stuff going through in the past. Since this happened I haven't had any trouble anywhere else.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:36 pm

Just tried two USB MC in the store and all were fine. Remember to hit "cancel" as soon as you swipe the card. Then select "debt" and enter "pin #". Let me know if you have further question.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:38 am

Does anyone have issues logging into gobank today?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: MR, UR, UA
Originally Posted by sungchiahao
Does anyone have issues logging into gobank today?
Yep. Their system's been wonky at times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.