Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:32 pm

thinking of getting a gobank card.
want to ask if I can load Vanilla VGC to gobank at family dollar,riteaid.
or only at wlamart?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:11 am

I loaded 4K last month, 4K this month and so far haven't heard from the bank. I'm not sure what other folks are doing to get shut down. The official 30 day limit is 3K but it seems you can load more than 3K.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Gitangali
I loaded 4K last month, 4K this month and so far haven't heard from the bank. I'm not sure what other folks are doing to get shut down. The official 30 day limit is 3K but it seems you can load more than 3K.
Well count your blessings because the shut down method is more how you liquidate the funds rather than how you load it.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:53 pm

So I did online payment to my CC; which liquidation method causes shutdown?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
My mole in GoBank tells me, it's exactly 4K in loading followed by billpay to CC. Double negative points if your name ends with a Y.

/joke
Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:00 pm

BP to CC, BP to regular bills, MOs. debit transactions, large amounts, small amounts, ATM withdrawals, not using your account while on vacation. Not trying to be snarky but there's no pattern. I wish there was, so we could all avoid it.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Anybody who got shutdown in the past tried signing up again using temp card at WM recently?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:18 am

Been going strong on 3 GoBanks for well over 2 years but all my Kates have been replaced at WM with non loading ATMs so no more easy loading. Sigh...
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:06 pm

Is anyone able to load GoBank card at the checkout counter? Today I went to add and I was told you have to do it at the Service center which I was able to do.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:09 pm

I tried to add payee for bank of america home loan with gobank available vendor name, but get denial for wrong account all the time.
Anyone have any luck adding bofa?
I did add manually though..but wonder why the available vendor doesnt like my acct#.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by oozze
I tried to add payee for bank of america home loan with gobank available vendor name, but get denial for wrong account all the time.
Anyone have any luck adding bofa?
I did add manually though..but wonder why the available vendor doesnt like my acct#.
Unfortunately there are quite a few other entries like this. It just doesn't work
Old Mar 12, 2016, 7:05 am

Is anyone able to load GoBank card at the checkout counter? Today I went to add and I was told you have to do it at the Service center which I was able to do.
I've done it at checkout lanes, customer service, and the money center when there is one separate from the customer service desk (not all in the same trip...).
Old Mar 12, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest
These jokers sent a new already activated card to me in the mail to replace an expiring card. Definitely wouldn't want to have a huge balance in this account in case the mail didn't make it to me.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:52 am

Just ordered a new green dot card online. How long does it takes for me to get the physical card? And i can only load the initial 20-25 load once i get the physical card correct?

Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 9:08 pm

Has anyone had any problems recently loading their GB at KATE? I am 0-4 the past few days. The first two times on my personal card after I entered the PIN, KATE asked me if I wanted to cancel all my items and start over. I selected no and the machine basically crapped out, stating that it needed to be reset because of a fatal error. So I went to a different store and the same thing happened again, except I pressed yes to canceling and the machine just went back to the home screen. I then tried loading my Serve card and got the dreaded 9 digit PIN. So I then go to another Walmart and tried using my wife's GB card and it allowed me to get all the way through, except it came back with tender not allowed. I tried with a different gebit and same result. I worry that my personal card has been shut down since it would not allow me to advance further than entering the PIN, however everything appears normal when I log into my account. Has anyone else experienced these same issues and if so, was there anything that you differently to fix it? Also, I have only loaded via KATE and do not know if loading at the register is any different than loading a Bluebird/Serve. Any input would be greatly appreciated. And every time I tried to load, I pressed the Moneycard option to reload if that matters. And also they are Vanilla gebits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.