Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2021, 8:27 pm

With the (WM free load) GB gravy train ending, is (going back to) MOs now going to be the cheapest/best way to liquidate Visa GCs after 9/16? I hate adding any additional fees back on again, but haven't used BB or other options since GB took care of all my loading and ACH unloading needs for years now.

Bummer...
Old Sep 12, 2021, 6:04 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Caryite
With the (WM free load) GB gravy train ending, is (going back to) MOs now going to be the cheapest/best way to liquidate Visa GCs after 9/16? I hate adding any additional fees back on again, but haven't used BB or other options since GB took care of all my loading and ACH unloading needs for years now.

Bummer...
Did you get an email about either the fee or the enforced change from Go to Go2??

My working hypothesis is that GD is eliminating the gamers from their system, but doing it in a "kind and gentle" manner rather than just banning the customer. This is accomplished by simply eliminating old accounts with the free cash deposits and migrating those customers to a "better" account lacking such a service.

From your description of how you used the account, it sounds like you fall into the group they would like to keep but restrict.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 7:44 am

can you confirm whether you can load 1K at Wally either with old GB or new GB card in single transaction. if you have to pay 3.74 for 1K load then that may not be a bad ju ju.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
Did you get an email about either the fee or the enforced change from Go to Go2??

My working hypothesis is that GD is eliminating the gamers from their system, but doing it in a "kind and gentle" manner rather than just banning the customer. This is accomplished by simply eliminating old accounts with the free cash deposits and migrating those customers to a "better" account lacking such a service.

From your description of how you used the account, it sounds like you fall into the group they would like to keep but restrict.
I got the Aug e-mail on the forced 10/31 change, and the new Go2 card in the mail this week with the letter saying the same thing.

Correct, nothing from Go2 has (yet) discussed additional loading fees, but IF there are any to the tune of $3.74 per $500, then a MO is going to be a better deal per Visa debit GC. Are you suggesting only certain Go2 cardholders get charged the $3.74 load fee at WM and others are not? or is the fee in dispute in general?

Also, if one is not able to ACH and pay bills via Go2 as I've seen reported here per this link below and if that is sadly the case, then that too is a dealbreaker unless there is another way to transfer funds out (for free).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33528012-post1443.html

I suppose we'll see on fees by 9/16, right? I certainly am in no hurry to activate this new Go2 card if my current GB card continues to work until 10/31, and certainly without ($3.74) fees after 9/16 if that turns out to be the case.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)

I'm not so sure about this as I have both a GoBank account and a Rushcard Live account, the latter of which charges $3.74 per load. My Gobank account received the email that it is transition to Go2Bank. Then yesterday, unsolicited and without any other communication I received another Go2Bank debit card from Greendot which mentions that my account will transition to Go2Bank if I activate the new debit card otherwise the account will be closed. Since the only Greendot product I have is Rushcard Live, it appears that this account is transition to Go2Bank as well. I checked debit card numbers and expiration dates to make sure they weren't duplicate cards and they are not so this definitely means that RushCard Live is also being discontinued at least for select customers. Since that card already had a fee of $3.74 per load and a per transaction fee for purchases there was no need to transition me to Go2Bank for that account as well if your theory is correct. Instead, it seems like Greendot is simply streaming their product offerings and since GoBank was a product designed with Walmart, it would appear that the partnership has ended and that is why Greendot is transitioning GOBank customers to Go2Bank. After all, I believe I did hear Walmart is launching a new banking product soon.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 4:17 pm

I got the Aug e-mail on the forced 10/31 change, and the new Go2 card in the mail this week with the letter saying the same thing.

Correct, nothing from Go2 has (yet) discussed additional loading fees, but IF there are any to the tune of $3.74 per $500, then a MO is going to be a better deal per Visa debit GC. Are you suggesting only certain Go2 cardholders get charged the $3.74 load fee at WM and others are not? or is the fee in dispute in general?

Also, if one is not able to ACH and pay bills via Go2 as I've seen reported here per this link below and if that is sadly the case, then that too is a dealbreaker unless there is another way to transfer funds out (for free).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33528012-post1443.html

I suppose we'll see on fees by 9/16, right? I certainly am in no hurry to activate this new Go2 card if my current GB card continues to work until 10/31, and certainly without ($3.74) fees after 9/16 if that turns out to be the case.
Originally Posted by Joe1690
I'm not so sure about this as I have both a GoBank account and a Rushcard Live account, the latter of which charges $3.74 per load. My Gobank account received the email that it is transition to Go2Bank. Then yesterday, unsolicited and without any other communication I received another Go2Bank debit card from Greendot which mentions that my account will transition to Go2Bank if I activate the new debit card otherwise the account will be closed. Since the only Greendot product I have is Rushcard Live, it appears that this account is transition to Go2Bank as well. I checked debit card numbers and expiration dates to make sure they weren't duplicate cards and they are not so this definitely means that RushCard Live is also being discontinued at least for select customers. Since that card already had a fee of $3.74 per load and a per transaction fee for purchases there was no need to transition me to Go2Bank for that account as well if your theory is correct. Instead, it seems like Greendot is simply streaming their product offerings and since GoBank was a product designed with Walmart, it would appear that the partnership has ended and that is why Greendot is transitioning GOBank customers to Go2Bank. After all, I believe I did hear Walmart is launching a new banking product soon.
Both of you may be correct.

I have no more inside information than anyone else. I also don't think that GD will be able to avoid the WM fee since, from my experience with it, the fee was charged before I even slid the card. If that is how things run, then it doesn't matter whether it is a Go card or a Go2 card as far as the fee is concerned.

However, other "enhancements" make Go2 unacceptable to many. The fact that only DD from employers is what the new T&Cs say will eliminate many who were making a DD from another checking account.
Inability to transfer funds out makes using the card even harder.
The killer for many people who used Go as an actual checking account is the additional fees charged for deposits. It seems to me that GD's model is for someone to deposit their paycheck into the account and then spend it via bill paying. Any additional money in will cost the depositor.
Given this banks less than stellar customer service, as well as alternatives that exist for this class of banking customer, that is going to be a reach imo.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 6:05 pm

is today the last day to load your Gobank card for free at WM? Not that it matters to me since the cashiers won't allow me to load Gobank card at the registers and want me to go to the MC which I know they don't allow me to use VGCs.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 6:44 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM) | Hertz President's Circle
Does not work.

Multiple swipes does not work with 70-action.

-b.

Originally Posted by Gitangali
can you confirm whether you can load 1K at Wally either with old GB or new GB card in single transaction. if you have to pay 3.74 for 1K load then that may not be a bad ju ju.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 7:00 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
is today the last day to load your Gobank card for free at WM? Not that it matters to me since the cashiers won't allow me to load Gobank card at the registers and want me to go to the MC which I know they don't allow me to use VGCs.
yes according to a small handful of DP's.................but I am an optimist by nature so I expect to be able to load for free until my card dies on Oct 31
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:40 am

If you get the right cashier, you can load Visa GCs at WM (not a Vanilla GC, but a Visa GC). I have those that I know will allow loads work for Visa GCs (aka "my Debit card"), and those that knowingly ask to see the card (they won't allow it, but it would still work if they weren't blocking it from their POV).

I was able to load my original GB card today for free while the WM cashier who doesn't allow and always checks the Visa Debit card was outside collecting grocery carts in the parking lot. Timing is sometimes everything... ;-)

I'll be holding onto my original GB card until 10/31 and hoping fees don't kick in on those. Guess will see starting tomorrow.
soy likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 4:50 pm

If you get the right cashier, you can load Visa GCs at WM (not a Vanilla GC, but a Visa GC). I have those that I know will allow loads work for Visa GCs (aka "my Debit card"), and those that knowingly ask to see the card (they won't allow it, but it would still work if they weren't blocking it from their POV).

I was able to load my original GB card today for free while the WM cashier who doesn't allow and always checks the Visa Debit card was outside collecting grocery carts in the parking lot. Timing is sometimes everything... ;-)

I'll be holding onto my original GB card until 10/31 and hoping fees don't kick in on those. Guess will see starting tomorrow.
I know what you mean by targeting the friendly cashiers. I used to do this all the time at my friendly WM in targeting certain folks which I know I can load at the cash register and also until they stopped taking VGCs for MOs due to that Dec 2020 nationwide memo targeting MSers. So now I guess they have extended training the cash register folks to refer to the MC to do card loading since they know the MSers would target cash registers. Since the MC staff haven't changed much, they all know the drill so I couldn't even attempt trying to load a GoBank card because they know I am a MSer.

So you are saying you are able to confirm load your GoBank MC card without the 3.74 load fee as of 9/16? Rumor was that it was suppose to kick in today.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by soy
yes according to a small handful of DP's.................but I am an optimist by nature so I expect to be able to load for free until my card dies on Oct 31
I hope so too but who knows. My available avenues are closing but I will still try though especially if it can be confirmed that it is still fee free.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 7:44 pm

I hope so too but who knows. My available avenues are closing but I will still try though especially if it can be confirmed that it is still fee free.
It takes nothing to go to a WM MC and flash your GO card and a $20 bill and ask if you can load it.

Prior to even swiping your card, if there is a fee, it will show up on the screen. You can cancel before proceeding further.

Today I was out of circulation so I will have to wait until tomorrow to see what is what.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 9:30 pm

It takes nothing to go to a WM MC and flash your GO card and a $20 bill and ask if you can load it.

Prior to even swiping your card, if there is a fee, it will show up on the screen. You can cancel before proceeding further.

Today I was out of circulation so I will have to wait until tomorrow to see what is what.
I know what you are saying but at my former friendly WM that I go to I don't know who to trust anymore since it seems like they are trained to redirect any Gobank/BB loading to the MC which I know is a no-go since the MC folks know me as a MS guy for awhile now so its a non-starter. Since the whole MB $99 issue started, I haven't been loading GoBank that much at all this year. I know it won't take much to confirm this but if I have to go to MC to confirm why bother since they are not going to start the transaction anyways.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 9:57 pm

I received my new card today. It was not a Go2. It was a black GB with a chip now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.