Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2021, 7:43 pm

Programs: All of them
Just got email notification of 3.74 load fee starting at WM on 9-16. I guess they jumped the gun when it started appearing last month, but now it's official.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 6:10 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Just got email notification of 3.74 load fee starting at WM on 9-16. I guess they jumped the gun when it started appearing last month, but now it's official.
Is this for Go or for Go2 bank?

I have not received any notifications at all No closure or fee announcements.

Are there other DPs about the new fee status ??
Old Aug 26, 2021, 6:15 am
sow

Originally Posted by radonc1

I got the email too.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 6:42 am
soy

Programs: various
This makes no sense at all. Why bring in new fees weeks before killing the product off entirely??
Old Aug 26, 2021, 7:08 am

I have the regular Go, whatever cards were sold inside WM and had zero load fees until now. There's no closure, just an email confirming this fee and a refund of any fees that got charged back in July.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 7:23 am

I have the regular Go, whatever cards were sold inside WM and had zero load fees until now. There's no closure, just an email confirming this fee and a refund of any fees that got charged back in July.
I have not yet received any of the notifications described above, either closure of the account by 10/31/21 or institution of a fee for deposits at WM.

Did you also get a closure notice email as well??

I guess I must be at the bottom of the email list
Old Aug 26, 2021, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by soy
This makes no sense at all. Why bring in new fees weeks before killing the product off entirely??
The new product (Go2) has no fee exemption for WM deposits, so maybe they just want to unify all product line charges to alleviate confusion.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 9:13 am

The new product (Go2) has no fee exemption for WM deposits, so maybe they just want to unify all product line charges to alleviate confusion.
So they're transitioning all other GB cards to Go2? ...or I'd have to buy new starter kit?
Old Aug 26, 2021, 3:05 pm

So they're transitioning all other GB cards to Go2? ...or I'd have to buy new starter kit?
From this post , it appears that Go will let you sign up on line without having to buy another card.
littlewinglet likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 4:03 pm

From this post , it appears that Go will let you sign up on line without having to buy another card.
That post was directed at someone who got a shut-down letter. I'm sure anyone else can get the Go2 card, I'm curious if that one will have free WM loads, otherwise makes no sense for them to have two parallel products doing same thing.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 4:59 pm

That post was directed at someone who got a shut-down letter. I'm sure anyone else can get the Go2 card, I'm curious if that one will have free WM loads, otherwise makes no sense for them to have two parallel products doing same thing.
I have studied the Go2 Bank advertising and there is nowhere in it that WM or any load other than DD is free.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 5:08 pm

I have Go2Bank and it is $3.74 to load at Walmart. Haven't gotten an email or letter about changes to Go Bank account yet. Wondering if they are closing accounts in stages.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by time_stamp
I have Go2Bak and it is $3.74 to load at Walmart. Haven't gotten an email or letter about changes to Go Bank account yet. Wondering if they are closing accounts in stages.
That is what I was afraid of

In that case, once they close me out of my Go account, I will close everything. However, at this time, I have not yet received any notifications of alterations in my account as far as termination dates or additional loading fees.

​​​​Quick question. Does your account have a direct deposit from an employer? I wonder if that is something that makes a difference in whether an account stays open or is getting closed??
Old Aug 26, 2021, 8:08 pm
soy

Programs: various
I have an old account (5+yrs) and have no emails about fees or account closures.
I can understand if they want to kill GoCard and push us all to Go2 in Oct, and the letter above is credible......but I cannot figure out why they introduce new fees in Sept for GoCard. Just force us all onto Go2 if that is the strategy. Also do not understand why only some are getting these emails. I get emails each month telling me my statement is ready (just got Aug) so no reason why I would not get this other email also.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 9:06 pm

​​​​Quick question. Does your account have a direct deposit from an employer? I wonder if that is something that makes a difference in whether an account stays open or is getting closed??
Not from an employer, but I have a regular deposit from a brokerage that doesn't have a checking account attached, and for whatever reason it codes as direct deposit on Go Bank. It does not code as direct deposit on Go2Bank.

I wonder if it's also possible that what we are reading here are actually account shutdowns, but they are disguised as a product closures to see if the receivers can be nudged to open Go2Bank accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.