Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2021, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
Would you please clarify.

Are you saying that you were able to load without a fee yesterday and the day before??

I did a quick scouting of WM's web page and they still have the bullet point of a no cash load fee for their Go Bank card. I would have anticipated that, by now, they would have modified that web site.

If above is true, a hopeful sign. I will go and test that today.

Just tested with $25 load and there was no fee😁😁
If some others will add DPs confirming this, we can change the Wiki
Thank you for doing the legwork and confirming this. Three consecutive days of no-fee loads is promising.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 2:25 pm
soy

Programs: various
Loaded 2x Staples 200's today, with no fee on either load. MC and checkout. Seems we have a reprieve
danhouston and Don Wu like this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 3:00 pm

no fee in CO. Hopefully it sticks. Props to radonc1 and anyone else being proactive
danhouston likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
I did a $500 VGC load with no fee today.
danhouston likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 10:37 am

Don't know if they tried fee for a few days and then reversed their decision to keep fee free. Several people are reporting no fee. Once you try and there was a fee, you are not going to try again unless you want to load regardless whether there is fee or not.

I dont know the utility of this card anymore when I can get MO as well and only MS you are able to do right now 3k/5k spend here and there on CC points.
Don't be shy, discuss freely there is nothing to be kept secret at this point. Any Meaningful MS is already dead and whatever little left will be dead soon with credit card limits, only certain VGC you are able to load, and that too now they have started fee etc.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Gitangali
Don't know if they tried fee for a few days and then reversed their decision to keep fee free. Several people are reporting no fee. Once you try and there was a fee, you are not going to try again unless you want to load regardless whether there is fee or not.

I dont know the utility of this card anymore when I can get MO as well and only MS you are able to do right now 3k/5k spend here and there on CC points.
Don't be shy, discuss freely there is nothing to be kept secret at this point. Any Meaningful MS is already dead and whatever little left will be dead soon with credit card limits, only certain VGC you are able to load, and that too now they have started fee etc.
I don't pretend to know how WM and GD bank work together, but there is some partnership between the 2 companies. I believe that GD is the "bank" behind most of WM's money services that are not provided by WU or MG

Deep down, I just think that this was an IT glitch, since the corporate banker that I talked to at GD had no idea that this was an announced change in policy. You would think that if WM actually had planned an institution of a new fee that the banking end of the change would get the heads up before the change was initiated. Not the case here.

I also think that the bankers had to realize that with the loss of free deposits other than DD, Go Bank became just another fee ridden on-line bank with less than stellar functionality and questionable customer service. I have used Go as a checking account and so far everyone has gotten their check from me, but there can be as much as a week plus before that happens.

In summary, my take from the outside is that GD realized that an imposition of a deposit fee would severely impair the bank's future and convinced WM that it was in their best interest to discard the new charge.

All speculation on my part but I don't care. The card will continue to used as before
nwflyboy likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
I don't pretend to know how WM and GD bank work together, but there is some partnership between the 2 companies. I believe that GD is the "bank" behind most of WM's money services that are not provided by WU or MG

Deep down, I just think that this was an IT glitch, since the corporate banker that I talked to at GD had no idea that this was an announced change in policy. You would think that if WM actually had planned an institution of a new fee that the banking end of the change would get the heads up before the change was initiated. Not the case here.

I also think that the bankers had to realize that with the loss of free deposits other than DD, Go Bank became just another fee ridden on-line bank with less than stellar functionality and questionable customer service. I have used Go as a checking account and so far everyone has gotten their check from me, but there can be as much as a week plus before that happens.

In summary, my take from the outside is that GD realized that an imposition of a deposit fee would severely impair the bank's future and convinced WM that it was in their best interest to discard the new charge.

All speculation on my part but I don't care. The card will continue to used as before
glad they fixed the glitch. Still haven’t been able to get to WM to try myself
Old Jul 26, 2021, 2:00 pm

Load limit per transaction

Is there currently a load limit per transaction ? I know there is a 3 swipe rule and a 30 day $3,000 limit. Do both the $200 and $500 cards work ?
Thanks for the help !!
Old Jul 26, 2021, 6:54 pm

Another DP - No load fee assessed today in PA. 3 x 99 Meta loaded with no issues. Those loading 500, are you doing in one shot? I have not tried anything over 99 since Mid November when Metas were limited to 99 per swipe.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 8:58 pm

can someone confirm or deny 500 metas are working and whether they work with register or at Service desk. It did not work for me few months ago and since then I am just not buying anything but GD VGC, so I can not try myself to check if the 500 metas are working in WM. The Go bank fee can be checked anytime of you have a GD VGC which I do because I have been getting money orders with GD VGC instead of loading GB. If you can only load 99 then I am not in it. too much work unless you only need to spend less than 1k or so to just get the bonus.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 5:49 am
soy

Originally Posted by Gitangali
can someone confirm or deny 500 metas are working and whether they work with register or at Service desk. It did not work for me few months ago and since then I am just not buying anything but GD VGC, so I can not try myself to check if the 500 metas are working in WM. The Go bank fee can be checked anytime of you have a GD VGC which I do because I have been getting money orders with GD VGC instead of loading GB. If you can only load 99 then I am not in it. too much work unless you only need to spend less than 1k or so to just get the bonus.
meta still work at the register, though often need to swipe a second/third time if you get the debit not available error.
YMMV if you can get a CSR to allow you load more than $200 at register. Usually they send you to the MC for larger loads. $99 hard limit at MC
Old Jul 27, 2021, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by soy
Loaded 2x Staples 200's today, with no fee on either load. MC and checkout. Seems we have a reprieve
Staples VGC? Can I know how much you load each time, 99 or 198?
Old Jul 27, 2021, 1:01 pm
soy

Originally Posted by Don Wu
Staples VGC? Can I know how much you load each time, 99 or 198?
$200 at a time. They used to allow me do multiple $500, but those days are long gone
Old Jul 27, 2021, 1:01 pm

After reading through comments, Staples Meta VGC is limited to swipes < 99 at the MC and Register. Staples MC are limited to swipes < 99 at MC and no limit at register. I will try later tonight.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by soy
$200 at a time. They used to allow me do multiple $500, but those days are long gone
Are you loading at the register or at the MC? Can you also confirm full 200 using Meta MC ,Visa or both? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.