Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2021, 7:31 am

Programs: Delta, Southwest, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by miss_travel
Loaded USB 500 vgc at cashier successfully. Is it possible to ACH pull from another bank? Read conflicting posts - some got suspended as a result while others did it "all the time." Also, could someone confirm that it's ok to add GoBank to Amex and Chase as "pay from bank" and pull payment without causing any issues? Would that raise a red flag with Amex and Chase like Walmart billpay?
I have used GoBank as “pay from bank” for Amex and chase accounts for the past year and no issues
miss_travel likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 6:48 pm

agree, because then they call supervisor to get a code to cancel the transaction. you don't want this happening one too many times but unfortunately this is how it is going to be.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 6:56 pm

can you do 2nd swipe for the same transaction? or they have to cancel the transaction once the debait is not available error is spit out and then you have to swipe Go bank and then VGC gain?

Originally Posted by soy
probably fails about 10% IME. Second swipe fixes it. No idea what is going on but must be related to the block because was never an issue before
Old Mar 31, 2021, 7:58 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Stoshbygosh
I have used GoBank as “pay from bank” for Amex and chase accounts for the past year and no issues
I have set up Go bank to pay several of my credit cards, although my payments to them have been a total of less than $10 so far.

I have to be certain that they would pay the bill and do it on time. So far, they have

IMO, Go behaves just like an on-line bank, but it's capabilities are severely limited by it's less than outstanding app. So I will not use it for bills that have to be paid by a specific date.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 8:19 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Gitangali
can you do 2nd swipe for the same transaction? or they have to cancel the transaction once the debait is not available error is spit out and then you have to swipe Go bank and then VGC gain?
Usually no need to cancel, just swipe again - though I think the 4 swipe rule would still apply.
If loading at regular checkout you do not want to trigger that as it can lock up the terminal and they need to call a manager.....which leads to bans on loading at checkout
Old Mar 31, 2021, 8:25 pm
soy

Originally Posted by radonc1
I have set up Go bank to pay several of my credit cards, although my payments to them have been a total of less than $10 so far.

I have to be certain that they would pay the bill and do it on time. So far, they have

IMO, Go behaves just like an on-line bank, but it's capabilities are severely limited by it's less than outstanding app. So I will not use it for bills that have to be paid by a specific date.
I have used it for years to push payments out without problems. They always pay on time. They are very slow so make sure to pay well in advance and its best to keep payments under $1k IMO since their target market is not likely paying $3k credit card bills all that often. I even use the check pay feature a couple of times with a contractor who would not take a credit card, and it worked fine also
Old Apr 1, 2021, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by soy
I have used it for years to push payments out without problems. They always pay on time. They are very slow so make sure to pay well in advance and its best to keep payments under $1k IMO since their target market is not likely paying $3k credit card bills all that often. I even use the check pay feature a couple of times with a contractor who would not take a credit card, and it worked fine also
I have already used the check pay feature to pay a contractor as well. The amount was less than $200. I guess it worked since I have not heard from the payee.....yet

Loading Go is a bit of a pain with it's Meta GC limitations, so it will be just another peripheral player in this MS game
Old Apr 1, 2021, 8:25 am
soy

I have already used the check pay feature to pay a contractor as well. The amount was less than $200. I guess it worked since I have not heard from the payee.....yet

Loading Go is a bit of a pain with it's Meta GC limitations, so it will be just another peripheral player in this MS game
agreed, this is not scalable, but a useful tool to get rid of office store $200s now that WM won't accept them and most grocers won't split payments
Old Apr 3, 2021, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by soy
and its best to keep payments under $1k IMO since their target market is not likely paying $3k credit card bills all that often.
my years of having this card say otherwise. I'm always astounded at how much conjecture is in this thread.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by jeffersun
my years of having this card say otherwise. I'm always astounded at how much conjecture is in this thread.
The fact that I see people who have smoked their entire lives and passed from an auto accident at age 90 must mean that smoking has no deleterious effect on health

The fact that you have had the card "for years" means that you have had a relationship with them for a while. Since the maximum amount of time you could have been a customer is 7 years (they were founded in 2014), I would still say that their business policies could be and probably are evolving.

You may have had excellent results from your experience with Go. However, there is an entire Wiki full of people whose outcomes were opposite of yours. Were they wrong and are you right???

I think now that we can all agree that smoking is bad for your health. However, some smokers will survive into their 90's without any ill effects from their habit.. In the same way, some people will have excellent outcomes with a dicy company while many will not. It doesn't mean that the company is good.

It just means you may be lucky.
RedSun likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 1:23 pm

It just means you may be lucky.
No. There's stating facts about your own experience, and then there's conjecture based upon your imaginations of being in charge of risk management at Gobank. Making a statement like "GoB's target demographic doesn't make bill payments over $1k" has zero basis. I've had a GoB account for many years, closed that when I went out of country, then opened up a new one and proceeded the exact same way I always have, which includes many bill payments to CCs in excess of $2k at a time. The wiki DPs are from 2016 or earlier, which is ancient. Loading $23.6k in the first month is stupid. Smoking is stupid. Many things are obvious at this point. If I see an unfounded theory tho, I'm gonna call it out.
I can see for miles and brc01 like this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by jeffersun
No. There's stating facts about your own experience, and then there's conjecture based upon your imaginations of being in charge of risk management at Gobank. Making a statement like "GoB's target demographic doesn't make bill payments over $1k" has zero basis. I've had a GoB account for many years, closed that when I went out of country, then opened up a new one and proceeded the exact same way I always have, which includes many bill payments to CCs in excess of $2k at a time. The wiki DPs are from 2016 or earlier, which is ancient. Loading $23.6k in the first month is stupid. Smoking is stupid. Many things are obvious at this point. If I see an unfounded theory tho, I'm gonna call it out.
Welp, here is a review site of GoBank that would argue against your statement above.

https://bestcompany.com/online-banks...te%20set%20up.

It appears that many do not have kind words to say about Go bank. What is below is not from 2016 or 2017 either, and these current comments seem to be very similar to the "ancient" ones you described above.

"Of the more than 370 GoBank reviews, 90 percent of customers gave GoBank a 1-star rating.

Customers regularly complain about GoBank randomly closing accounts for unauthorized reasons, in addition to frequent reports of fraudulent use of GoBank debit cards. Some complaints include misallocated funds, misuse of the card or stolen card numbers, and intended funds that were never completed. This can upset balance transfers and cause banking issues. These problems usually result in a closed account, either closed by GoBank, or the account holder, losing out on future account opening opportunities."

Perhaps the reason our Wiki is so "out of date" is that no one has tried to or succeeded in scaling Go Bank to be useful as an MS tool.

However, if you are happy, then that is really all that matters.
RedSun likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 11:30 pm

Welp
You know we don't operate within the "standard use" here. I don't care if people love it or hate it. I care about what works and what doesn't. For the very specific use case that I assume most people in this forum follow, it still works great. All I've said here is state facts, not unfounded theories. If you're not willing to test your theories, don't post them. If I get shut down, I accept that, and will gladly post about my loss. I don't foresee this happening tho. The wiki is old because nobody wants to share info anymore.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 6:17 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I care less about what guys are debating. But the info in Wiki is not old and not that folks do not want to share info. There is plenty info shared here, maybe too much.

MS is a trial-and-error thing. No one can teach others the perfect way to do MSing. It is always YMMV thing. Everyone's situation is different.

As far as GoBank goes, its monthly limit is only 1/2 of the BB/Serve. Other than that, it is pretty much the same as BB/Serve. But a lot of folks already got shut down with BB/Serve. So some folks still roll the dice on GoBank. With the recent changes at WM, it gets harder to use GoBank, just the same as the BB/Serve which are still alive.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 9:07 pm

go bank load limit is $3000 per month, is that rolling 30 days or per statement cycle? I was able to load $500 in walmart with meta bank card and $99 at service desk. Now both not working. not sure if I have reached the monthly limit or walmart kabashed it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.