Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by bulletin2007
Also have this issue. Bought a gobank starter card (mastercard) in walmart. When registering the card at gobank.com with real information at first time, I was told can't verify information and asked to input again. Make sure everything is correct and submit application again, then got the "limited use account" information. Any solution to reverse this limited users status? Thanks!
Your account is limited until you get a real card from them, usually 5-10 days after submitting your information.

Go Bank doesn't do a credit pull on your application, but if you have been turned down by Greed Dot in the past, then Go is going to be Stop for you, since Greenbank owns Go.
If you can honestly say that you have had no dealings with Go or Greendot in the past, wait the 10 days. If no card appears, then Google their number and call them.

There would appear to be no reason why they would limit your account if the above is true.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 4:51 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by radonc1
Your account is limited until you get a real card from them, usually 5-10 days after submitting your information.

Go Bank doesn't do a credit pull on your application, but if you have been turned down by Greed Dot in the past, then Go is going to be Stop for you, since Greenbank owns Go.
If you can honestly say that you have had no dealings with Go or Greendot in the past, wait the 10 days. If no card appears, then Google their number and call them.

There would appear to be no reason why they would limit your account if the above is true.
To get a permanent card, user needs to register with personal info. If the personal info can't be verified, then you can't open account with them. Then the original card will be the only card that you can use for one time loading only.

You'll have to call and send in verification like driver license etc. It is not easy. Here is a typical request for the denial.

Federal law requires us to obtain, verify and record information that identifies a customer’s identity when registering a new card. We were unable to verify all the personal information you provided therefore we cannot issue a personalized card. Your temporary card was activated and is ready for use. Once the funds are spent, the card will automatically close. No further reloads or deposits will be accepted.

Please note: the temporary card can only be used for in-person point-of-sale transactions (no ATM withdrawals, no cash back, no online transactions, no phone transactions).

Last edited by RedSun; Dec 31, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Old Jan 3, 2021, 11:45 pm

Anyone have problems with loading Meta VGC to their GoBank card recently? I tried today (1/3) with no luck. I went to two different Walmarts (both in Connecticut) and tried two different cards at each, at $500 and then $400. The pinpad went through asking if I wanted cashback (I answered no) and entering the pin; then a note printed on the receipt paper saying that the debit was not authorized or something like that.

Has anyone else had this issue or knows what may be the problem?

Last edited by tsaus5; Jan 22, 2021 at 11:43 am
Old Jan 4, 2021, 7:16 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by tsaus5
Anyone have problems with loading Meta VGC to their GoBank card recently? I tried today (1/3) with no luck. I went to two different Walmarts (both in Connecticut) and tried two different cards at each, at $500 and then $500. The pinpad went through asking if I wanted cashback (I answered no) and entering the pin; then a note printed on the receipt paper saying that the debit was not authorized or something like that.

Has anyone else had this issue or knows what may be the problem?
Are you trying this at the regular registers? I got a failure also a few weeks ago. Seems my WM has even normal registers now coded not to take Metas.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 8:20 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Are you trying this at the regular registers? I got a failure also a few weeks ago. Seems my WM has even normal registers now coded not to take Metas.
I have had a couple of sporadic failures, but then the same card would work fine to load Gobank later at a different checkout. In both cases the agent was less than stellar, so I was not sure if it was the card or something they done. It is also possible that some registers may have the higher spec (virus infected) terminals that are used at the MC.
littlewinglet likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by soy
I have had a couple of sporadic failures, but then the same card would work fine to load Gobank later at a different checkout. In both cases the agent was less than stellar, so I was not sure if it was the card or something they done. It is also possible that some registers may have the higher spec (virus infected) terminals that are used at the MC.
are these GC working at the MC? have you tried smaller load amounts, like $200 per load?
Old Jan 4, 2021, 9:23 am
soy

Originally Posted by cajunguy
are these GC working at the MC? have you tried smaller load amounts, like $200 per load?
nope, my Gobank loads are at the regular checkouts.
MC is dead for metas in my locations.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by soy
nope, my Gobank loads are at the regular checkouts.
MC is dead for metas in my locations.
There is a data point which suggests that one can use the money Center for up to $100 per swipe with the meta VGC.
I have not seen any confirmation of this elsewhere.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:42 am
soy

There is a data point which suggests that one can use the money Center for up to $100 per swipe with the meta VGC.
true and I suppose it is a method of last resort, but thats effectively dead in my eyes. Juice is not worth the squeeze if you are limited to draining via $99 swipes.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:28 am

I'll attempt $100 tomorrow. I've been draining my Metas via WM in-app BP, but I've been cut off suddenly (transaction declined error) even though I'm under 8k now.
My next plan is to just load the Metas piece by piece on to GB or BB, and then cash out as MOs periodically. I'm at WM anyway doing regular MO/BP, may as well add in two 3x100 transactions while I'm there.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by soy
Thanks both for your response. Yes, I was trying at regular checkout. Strange, I loaded 2 $500 Metas with no problem at one of the Walmart locations on 1/1, with no problem. I may try again later.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:41 am

I'll attempt $100 tomorrow. I've been draining my Metas via WM in-app BP, but I've been cut off suddenly (transaction declined error) even though I'm under 8k now.
My next plan is to just load the Metas piece by piece on to GB or BB, and then cash out as MOs periodically. I'm at WM anyway doing regular MO/BP, may as well add in two 3x100 transactions while I'm there.
I couldn't do $100 swipes today, only $99. This was a Safeway meta loading to BB.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:12 am

I couldn't do $100 swipes today, only $99. This was a Safeway meta loading to BB.
Yes
$99 a swipe was doable at MC but not $100.

It was just a single DP who said they could do $100.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 1:25 pm

Yes
$99 a swipe was doable at MC but not $100.

It was just a single DP who said they could do $100.
man, i wish a $100 were doable; that way, won't have to keep all the used vgc & later liquidate a remaining small amt
Old Jan 5, 2021, 4:35 pm

You can always purchase the vgc for $495 instead of the full $500.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.