Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by compddd
It appears that if all you do is loads they consider that zero activity and shut down your account when your GoBank card expires.
But the people that have been getting shut down for this, how are they draining the money from the loads they are doing? In your situation, did you just ACH the money out to a bank account? I can see that as a means for shutdown if the funds are just ACH out to a bank account.

My card doesn't expire for another few months but its not too far away. Just curious if anyone has been receiving renewal cards recently.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:36 pm

Reload fail??

I use a different card that does reloads on the gd network. Unloading some debits per usual and get an odd error. Debits were drained but the receipt says not approved and unable to process. Zero card balance and zero debit balances as well. Not sure whether to go back to the store or the bank. Gc transaction history shows the charges. Thoughts??
Old Oct 24, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: Delta, Southwest, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
I received a card renewal at end of September. No issues

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
But the people that have been getting shut down for this, how are they draining the money from the loads they are doing? In your situation, did you just ACH the money out to a bank account? I can see that as a means for shutdown if the funds are just ACH out to a bank account.

My card doesn't expire for another few months but its not too far away. Just curious if anyone has been receiving renewal cards recently.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 11:07 am

just an update in case anyone else ever had this happen: took my receipt back to the store where I did the reload and they confirmed the transaction did not complete so they ran the reload again and funded it with store credit (the debit cards were drained so the store had my money).
Old Oct 25, 2019, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by compddd
My GoBank card says 09/19 expiration so looks like I’m in the same boat.
I was able to use "contact us" to get a replacement card for my expired one. Was able to load two $500 this morning using the new card.
soy likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 7:55 pm

Recently moved to a new location. Want to know how to change address of gobank card? I tried to log into web account and click the settings from the drop down menu of my name. But there is no "edit" button at the "address" section, while there are "edit" bottoms at the "mobile number", "Email/Username" and "password" sections. I checked chrome, IE, as well as app. The address seems impossible to be edited. The only way is to call GoBank?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by happybidder
I was able to use "contact us" to get a replacement card for my expired one. Was able to load two $500 this morning using the new card.
Tried this and they said they can’t and I need to open a new account with a different email address, tried that and got denied. Most likely black listed like that other fellow a few posts back.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
When I did ACH pull from my GoB balance, my account was suspended until I called them and promised I will not do it again. From thereon, I just scheduled online B/P and w/d by atm.

As long as your account is NOT frozen, you can start withdrawing your available funds via ATM up to $500 per day.
Hi Mamibear - You haven't posted to Flyertalk for a long time and I've missed your great posts. Just wondering if you are ok?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:47 am

If I buy a GoBank card, is there a limit to the amount I can add overall to the temporary card before my permanent card comes in the mail?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:44 pm

Anyone know how to resolve an account with limited access?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by History05
If I buy a GoBank card, is there a limit to the amount I can add overall to the temporary card before my permanent card comes in the mail?
If you buy your card at WM make sure you get the card that allows free loads at WM. Once you activate online that card the real card will show up really quick, like a week. I bought my card with $20, went home and registered the card online and about 7 days later the perm card showed up.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by cajunguy
If you buy your card at WM make sure you get the card that allows free loads at WM. Once you activate online that card the real card will show up really quick, like a week. I bought my card with $20, went home and registered the card online and about 7 days later the perm card showed up.
Are you subject to the 8.95 monthly fee? Is there a good way around that without Employer DD?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by FT-hss
Got a limited-use account message when signing up online with the WM bouth starter MC. I am unable to get a live person on support. Dont know what they info they need. Anyone went through this? Should I just drain this somehow and try another one? Is there a direct number or trick to get through to a human at GB?
Originally Posted by briang191
Anyone know how to resolve an account with limited access?
Is this limited access a new development for new sign ups recently? I am thinking to get this card but don't want to get some "limited access" and have to fight to get the money back.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
Are you subject to the 8.95 monthly fee? Is there a good way around that without Employer DD?
Some people have their card connected to Apple Pay/Wallet or something like that and are doing direct deposits from there. Read through the post, you'll see it.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by jack101
Is this limited access a new development for new sign ups recently? I am thinking to get this card but don't want to get some "limited access" and have to fight to get the money back.
FT-hss what was the outcome of your limited access? Did you receive a permanent card?

I received the limited access after submitting my information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.