Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:39 pm

You entered routing number incorrectly. Ally Routing number = 124003116 Good luck!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
You entered routing number incorrectly. Ally Routing number = 124003116 Good luck!
OP is trying to add Go Bank in Ally account.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Has anyone noticed recent changes in Gobank limits? I tried to load $500 at WM the past several days without success. Getting error message saying, "Exceeds Card Load limit"?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by DLScottsdaleMike
Has anyone noticed recent changes in Gobank limits? I tried to load $500 at WM the past several days without success. Getting error message saying, "Exceeds Card Load limit"?
Did you check the amount you loaded within 30-day rolling period?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by notalent
My work must use an antiquated payroll system because I get an error "bank doesn't exist" when trying to update my DD with the gobank routing number (124303162)

Ally and USAA don't recognize it either. What other banks have people used to transfer money in?
I'd also like a better system, but USAA > PayPal > GoBank works
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:40 pm

I tried to load 3 vgc into 3 different go bank accounts, on the 3rd vgc to the 3rd go bank, I got the same error.

I tried another time, and same error.

Not sure if it's having too many loads back to back. I've only loaded 1k for the statement period on the 3rd go bank account

I used my 1st account to load my 3rd vgc
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Same here. #0 day rolling period is just $1500. Something weird happening.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:24 pm

I have the same problem. I only have 2 gobank cards and the first one yesterday I tried to load $100 and got the exceeded limit error and tried again at another Walmart same day, same error. Tried again a day later still with the same message. My 2nd gobank card also received the error message.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Ect828
I have the same problem. I only have 2 gobank cards and the first one yesterday I tried to load $100 and got the exceeded limit error and tried again at another Walmart same day, same error. Tried again a day later still with the same message. My 2nd gobank card also received the error message.
yep, same here... showing 'exceeded limit' error after trying to swipe the same gobank card the 3rd time attempting another load for $100 mcgc; aware of the max of $500 per load & up to $1,100 per day but didn't realize that a 3rd swipe is a no go, correct?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
BTW, I know that few people use it but the ability to pre-authorize checks on the Desktop application has vanished.
When I try to pre-authorize on the phone application, it works well but the balance is not adjusted.
I am wondering if Gobank is getting rid of the annoying pre-authorization thing.
Minos
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Prepare yourselves...times are a changing
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Prepare yourselves...times are a changing
is it a shutdown for loading if we get the exceeded error?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
yep, same here... showing 'exceeded limit' error after trying to swipe the same gobank card the 3rd time attempting another load for $100 mcgc; aware of the max of $500 per load & up to $1,100 per day but didn't realize that a 3rd swipe is a no go, correct?
You have the limits wrong. It's $1100 max per transaction, and $2500 max per day. But it has been glitchy for me lately, consistent with what others are experiencing.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by jonnydoe1234
You have the limits wrong. It's $1100 max per transaction, and $2500 max per day. But it has been glitchy for me lately, consistent with what others are experiencing.
I think you have the limits wrong. It used to be around $1K/transaction and was changed to around $500 couple of months back
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:17 pm

I'm not sure if my DP is related to the above described problem, so I'll let you decide. I don't have a Gobank account, but occasionally buy Greendot VGC's at Walmarts to dispose of like any other VGC. Today I tried making a purchase containing such VGC, and it was initially approved. The full preapproved amount is also shown online. But the final receipt shows that the VGC was not activated, "WM Debit Declined, Reason 14". The amount of $504.94 is shown as refunded on the receipt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.