Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2021, 5:49 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
I know what you are saying but at my former friendly WM that I go to I don't know who to trust anymore since it seems like they are trained to redirect any Gobank/BB loading to the MC which I know is a no-go since the MC folks know me as a MS guy for awhile now so its a non-starter. Since the whole MB $99 issue started, I haven't been loading GoBank that much at all this year. I know it won't take much to confirm this but if I have to go to MC to confirm why bother since they are not going to start the transaction anyways.
You should be able to load your card with cash at any WM MC without them caring about your MSing status. Cash is always king.
It is when you are trying to load that card with a debit card that throws you into the "untouchable" category.
Originally Posted by bargainhunter3
I received my new card today. It was not a Go2. It was a black GB with a chip now.
Just because your new card is not labeled "Go2" may not mean that the underlying account isn't "Go2".
Check your app and see if the account is still a "Go" account.

I'll have my fingers crossed
Old Sep 17, 2021, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Caryite
I was able to load my original GB card today for free while the WM cashier who doesn't allow and always checks the Visa Debit card was outside collecting grocery carts in the parking lot. Timing is sometimes everything... ;-)
So you are saying you are able to confirm load your GoBank MC card without the 3.74 load fee as of 9/16? Rumor was that it was suppose to kick in today.
Yes, that is what I said. My GoBank card is a Visa card, not a MasterCard if that is what you mean by "GoBank MC". That was a free load on 9/16 at customer service at a WM Neighborhood Mart (not big enough to have it's own separate Money Center space).

I suppose after searching this thread again that most felt the fees would kick in *on* 9/16 and not *after* 9/16. I can't (yet) speak for today 9/17, but there was not a new fee on 9/16, I can certainly confirm that in my experience.

As I said, I plan to use my current GB Visa card all the way until it can no longer be used after 10/31, as long as it doesn't start charging any fees.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 7:40 am

Yes, that is what I said. My GoBank card is a Visa card, not a MasterCard if that is what you mean by "GoBank MC". That was a free load on 9/16 at customer service at a WM Neighborhood Mart (not big enough to have it's own separate Money Center space).

I suppose after searching this thread again that most felt the fees would kick in *on* 9/16 and not *after* 9/16. I can't (yet) speak for today 9/17, but there was not a new fee on 9/16, I can certainly confirm that in my experience.

As I said, I plan to use my current GB Visa card all the way until it can no longer be used after 10/31, as long as it doesn't start charging any fees.
Are you part of the "automatic switch" cohort of Go customers?

Your card was a Go Visa. Mine is a Go MC. I wonder if that is why I have never received any notifications of fees or account transfers??
Old Sep 17, 2021, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
You should be able to load your card with cash at any WM MC without them caring about your MSing status. Cash is always king.
It is when you are trying to load that card with a debit card that throws you into the "untouchable" category.

Just because your new card is not labeled "Go2" may not mean that the underlying account isn't "Go2".
Check your app and see if the account is still a "Go" account.

I'll have my fingers crossed
As of this morning, the app is the same as before. I haven't activated the card yet and likely won't until end of Oct. FWIW this is a MC
Old Sep 17, 2021, 7:57 am

I know what you mean by targeting the friendly cashiers. I used to do this all the time at my friendly WM in targeting certain folks which I know I can load at the cash register and also until they stopped taking VGCs for MOs due to that Dec 2020 nationwide memo targeting MSers. So now I guess they have extended training the cash register folks to refer to the MC to do card loading since they know the MSers would target cash registers. Since the MC staff haven't changed much, they all know the drill so I couldn't even attempt trying to load a GoBank card because they know I am a MSer.

So you are saying you are able to confirm load your GoBank MC card without the 3.74 load fee as of 9/16? Rumor was that it was suppose to kick in today.
Are you part of the "automatic switch" cohort of Go customers?

Your card was a Go Visa. Mine is a Go MC. I wonder if that is why I have never received any notifications of fees or account transfers??
Yes, part of the 10/31 change to Go2 as I have noted prior in this thread. Never any notification of any fees either.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 9:32 am

As anticipated, my original GoBank Visa was loaded today 9/17 at WM with NO FEE. Register and WM load receipt still explicitly states:
SWIPE FEE 0.00

So GB Visa without fees (for me) appears to be good until 10/31, when this card can no longer be used per the GoBank - Go2Bank transition letter received. I have not activated nor do I have any plans to activate this new Go2Bank card prior to then. Future fees will determine if I even bother with it.
Prometheus77 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 11:16 am

As anticipated, my original GoBank Visa was loaded today 9/17 at WM with NO FEE. Register and WM load receipt still explicitly states:
SWIPE FEE 0.00

So GB Visa without fees (for me) appears to be good until 10/31, when this card can no longer be used per the GoBank - Go2Bank transition letter received. I have not activated nor do I have any plans to activate this new Go2Bank card prior to then. Future fees will determine if I even bother with it.
Good to hear about the loading fees so far.

However, if you look at the T&Cs for the Go2 bank card, there is no mention of free loading at WM for any type of deposit (cash, debit).

At this point, I have no idea who to believe at GD bank. I would just keep using my original Go card even after 10/31 no matter what additional card was sent to me until that card simply didn't work anymore or loading fees are imposed.
retired7328 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 11:51 am
soy

Programs: various
I think we only ever had 1 DP about fees, so I think that was just a distraction for the past month or so.
Lots of people have got the notice about being pushed to Go2 in October. Some haven't and its very odd that someone got a new GB card this week. Perhaps it is a phased switchover with the first cohort going Oct 31 and the rest in the following months.

The Go2 T&C says that debit card loads are subject to fees. It also mentions that bank account transfers may have fees at the sender bank. To me this is clear there will be no free debit loading, making the account useless
Old Sep 17, 2021, 2:33 pm

Received my card, they added a EMV chip, and got a new account number. No mention of Go2bank anywhere, or any other changes. Still loading my old card at WM with zero fee. I will worry about 10/31 when it comes. As of now, its BAU.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 2:35 pm

I was able to load my GoBank MC card at two different WMs without fees using SS cards. Additionally, todays load put me at $5K in loads in the last 7 days and will continue trying a load a day until 10/31 or they shut me down.
littlewinglet and Carrisco like this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 2:43 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by Prometheus77
I was able to load my GoBank MC card at two different WMs without fees using SS cards. Additionally, todays load put me at $5K in loads in the last 7 days and will continue trying a load a day until 10/31 or they shut me down.
That's interesting, I have MC version as well, got email about load fees (but not forced conversion). I was wondering if there's a difference between how Visa vs MC version of the cards are treated, but seems that everyone's DPs are all over the place.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 2:56 pm

I suggest you stop right now before you get canned.

I just received my new Go MC bankcard. It now has a chip. The card is otherwise identical to my old card except the account number is new and the expiration date is 9 months later.

Otherwise, all remains the same once I activate the account. Even the app is still the same.

I suspect that my original guess may be somewhat correct. Those that GD want to limit but not boot get the new Go2 bank card. Customers who they want to keep get the Go Bank chip card. Will they throttle any other function on this card. I can't tell but the picture on the insert shows the same app as I use now.

I cannot see how WM loading fees can be charged if they allow those who have the new Go Bank chip card to load without a fee.

I think that we all got into a tizzy over what appears to be a migration from an unchipped debit card to a chipped one. The one worry I have is whether Go actually did move some clients to the new Go2 account which is definitely different than the current Go account.

We need DPs from Go customers. Which card are you getting? If you have been migrated to the new card, what was your activity on the old card. How did you do DD? All of that would be informative to us.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 4:19 pm

I suggest you stop right now before you get canned.

I just received my new Go MC bankcard. It now has a chip. The card is otherwise identical to my old card except the account number is new and the expiration date is 9 months later.

Otherwise, all remains the same once I activate the account. Even the app is still the same.

I suspect that my original guess may be somewhat correct. Those that GD want to limit but not boot get the new Go2 bank card. Customers who they want to keep get the Go Bank chip card. Will they throttle any other function on this card. I can't tell but the picture on the insert shows the same app as I use now.

I cannot see how WM loading fees can be charged if they allow those who have the new Go Bank chip card to load without a fee.

I think that we all got into a tizzy over what appears to be a migration from an unchipped debit card to a chipped one. The one worry I have is whether Go actually did move some clients to the new Go2 account which is definitely different than the current Go account.

We need DPs from Go customers. Which card are you getting? If you have been migrated to the new card, what was your activity on the old card. How did you do DD? All of that would be informative to us.
I got the conversion letter so I'm going to operate under the idea that my time is limited. I have a few other loadable cards to work with if this one goes south.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 6:36 pm

Got the new GoBank chip card as well, though for some reason I can't get it activated yet. Definitely more optimistic about keeping free loads after Oct. 31.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 11:42 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM) | Hertz President's Circle
This is exactly how I'd roll, too, since EOL if 10/31 anyway.

GoBank seems to enforce the maximum balance of $3K when loading but doesn't seem to enforce the 30-day maximum of loads...

-b.

retired7328 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.