Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This wiki is to an old thread and is no longer current and is no longer being maintained and/or updated.

Note: the 2015 version of the thread is here: New to Manufactured spending? Start Here(2015)

The 2017 discussion is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1812407-new-manufactured-spending-start-here-2017-a.html#post27694982

Welcome to Manufactured Spending. If you are new here, please spend some time reading before posting. Most likely your questions have already been answered multiple times. Consider deals that you share. These threads are searchable by Google. A volatile deal may be worth holding close to the vest.

Hints

1) On FT, topics are heavily consolidated. Sometimes the title of the thread and first few posts may not properly reflect the broad range of discussion inside the thread. Be sure to visit any thread relating to the product or service you want to learn more about because you might be surprised by how in depth the discussion really is. High "View Count" and "Replies" are good indicators of active "master threads" on a specific topic.

2) Use Google to search FT. It works a lot better than the built-in search.

Important Rules

1) MSing is very YMMV. It varies by store, manager, and right down to the cashier working at the moment. That being said, always be nice and courteous in the face of rejection. The biggest secret for success is to lay low so you can try again.

2) DO NOT spend more than you can afford. START WITH SMALL AMOUNTS TO TEST THE WATER! As an example.. don't start with a $5000 purchase of VGCs if you can't afford to float that much! Instead, buy one and try it, and scale up once you are comfortable with a new method. It's easy to lose track, or get robbed, when you are handling so much money. Getting a refund is NOT always possible.

3) DO NOT ask employees, cashiers, customer service representatives, etc... about how to MS, or about things you read on this forum. The information you read here are very specific, unknown, legal uses of products or services. Most employees, cashiers, and even managers do not know about them. At best you'll get bad information. At worst you'll create a lot of unnecessary misunderstanding.

4) It bears repeating that there are no guarantees. you could easily buy $10,000 in gift cards or some other instrument, only to discover that your method for liquidating them vanishes the very next day. MS is not "normal" financial activity ("normal" being defined by the banks), and thus is often perceived as "suspicious" even if it is legal.

5) never underestimate the risk of criminal activity. gift cards can easily be stolen, loaded onto a compromised account, loaded in a debit card skimmer, or even fraudulent (e.g., an already used card put back on the rack).

If you have a question that does not seem to fit anywhere, or you have not found an appropriate place for it, post it here.

- A helpful note from seat17D about some of the inherent risks of MS
Print Wikipost

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:04 pm

nitrousfiz, where do you cash them at? A bank or post office? I work at a Kroger and because of that, I get free money orders. Been buying a few every now and then and depositing them in the bank. Bad idea or what? I am depositing them into a different band than the bank I'm using to pay the card with.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nitrousfiz
Yes, it will work. I usually go to the Post Office for money orders.
Why, many grocery stores sell them, since the PO watch's how much you purchase and they will stop you. Plus banks are starting to crack down on high amount of MO's being deposited into personal accounts.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:08 pm

PO is convenient due to my location (NYC). But agree with FlightNurse, it depends on the volume your are doing.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:26 pm

I have a question for folks... has anyone ever been shutdown (or heard of a similar case) where the CC issuer got suspicious that the majority of your purchase dollars were spent a single merchant (or small group, e.g. CVS and a Simon Mall, for instance)? Simon Mall is by the the easiest/cheapest way for me to MS (I have a Bluebird account that wasn't shutdown and have multiple ways to liquidate MOs beyond depositing in bank account).

I have cards from three of the major issuers -- Citi, AmEx, and Chase -- and don't want to do anything to get blacklisted or shutdown. Recently got approved for two new Business AmEx's (Business Rewards Gold and Business Platinum -- each offering 75k MR after 10k and 15k, respectively, spent within 90 days of approval). And it's gonna be hard to make that 25k in 3 months without a lot of $$ spent at Simon Mall or CVS!

Thanks for any advice or threads where this issue is discussed.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
I have a question for folks... has anyone ever been shutdown (or heard of a similar case) where the CC issuer got suspicious that the majority of your purchase dollars were spent a single merchant (or small group, e.g. CVS and a Simon Mall, for instance)? Simon Mall is by the the easiest/cheapest way for me to MS (I have a Bluebird account that wasn't shutdown and have multiple ways to liquidate MOs beyond depositing in bank account).

I have cards from three of the major issuers -- Citi, AmEx, and Chase -- and don't want to do anything to get blacklisted or shutdown. Recently got approved for two new Business AmEx's (Business Rewards Gold and Business Platinum -- each offering 75k MR after 10k and 15k, respectively, spent within 90 days of approval). And it's gonna be hard to make that 25k in 3 months without a lot of $$ spent at Simon Mall or CVS!

Thanks for any advice or threads where this issue is discussed.
how long have you done business with am3x? if you've been their client for a long time and have established a pattern of making large purchases, they may not be alarmed when you start spending huge amounts at grocery stores/drugstores/gas station on those 2 cards. google am3x financial review so you'll have a better idea what it is.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:36 pm

I've had one AmEx card since April 2013 (BlueCash Preferred, primarily for groceries/gas)... but since October I've now gotten another personal CC, personal charge card, and the two business charge cards mentioned above.

Having read though a bit more about AmEx financial reviews, it seems I should be fine assuming they elect to do one so long as I provided correct information on my applications? As in, they're not going to think, "well, he didn't lie about his income, but we don't like that he's most likely buying a lot of visa gift cards to meet these minimum spends, so we're going to shutdown anyways..." ?
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
Having read though a bit more about AmEx financial reviews, it seems I should be fine assuming they elect to do one so long as I provided correct information on my applications? As in, they're not going to think, "well, he didn't lie about his income, but we don't like that he's most likely buying a lot of visa gift cards to meet these minimum spends, so we're going to shutdown anyways..." ?
I try not to worry about what might happen.

We had a Bluebird for about 2 years and deposited into it regularly, and yes, we were shut down by Bluebird. When our Costco Amex is over and done, I am not going to get another Amex card out of spite. Just kidding, but still, Amex has nothing to offer us now, and I feel a bit of the burn of that shutdown, each and every day. So I can deposit cash into Bluebird, but not my gift cards. Cash is not a concern at all, apparently. Drug dealers use a lot of cash, so they can use Bluebird and stop buying MO's to pay rent.

We use a couple of cards that get 5X at office supply stores, and, so far, no shutdown for us. We do what we can, while we can, and when a door shuts closed, we find a new door. I think the old saying, "He who hesitates is lost," is very true. Jump in and test the water and don't worry about a card shutdown.

Some folks who had card shutdowns were paying their credit cards before the statement closing date. Others were paying with WalMart's money center, or their BB account (giant red flag). Others were young and probably overextended with their credit/ income ratios. There are red flags galore to credit card companies. We have built credit over 43 years of marriage, and we are not a credit risk, but there is always an outside chance the purchases we make will be scrutinized. So far, so good.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:15 pm

I have 5k worth of mortgage payments to make, would like to earn rewards (tenants pay my vacations).

Seems like bluebird and $5 per $500 visa gift cards are the only current way. But the fees for gift cards negates the rewards.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

I've had one AmEx card since April 2013 (BlueCash Preferred, primarily for groceries/gas)... but since October I've now gotten another personal CC, personal charge card, and the two business charge cards mentioned above.

Financial reviews usually happen randomally if you have documention to back up your income, then you are fine.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Bearded
I have 5k worth of mortgage payments to make, would like to earn rewards (tenants pay my vacations).

Seems like bluebird and $5 per $500 visa gift cards are the only current way. But the fees for gift cards negates the rewards.
Don't forget to factor in that fee gives you an extra 5 points. So not too sure how it negates the rewards. Also the amount you spend on fee's is small compared to the real cost of the vacations.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:58 pm

Yes, sifting is a good idea, and yes
Either way, call the nr on the back of the card and ask the cust service rep to clear the pin, then try again
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by squelchy451
What is GDC?

Also, I haven't seen this routine that I though of posted elsewhere:
  1. Buy Vanilla Reload (or any other) prepaid debit card
  2. Use the debit card to purchase money order
  3. Use money order to pay bills/rent/self

Would this routine work?
No experience with MS, so please be kind.

I have the British Airways Visa Signature ($30k/yr = 150,000 miles + free companion fare), and have made about $20K in legit purchases. I want to book two tix from NYC to Barcelona in September 2016, but would like to book soon so whatever seats are available for frequent flier miles are not taken. So that leaves me with $10k to spend.

Been reading here more than a few hours and the method above seemed like that would be the most direct. Use the CC to purchase a prepaid debit card, use debit card to purchase money order, deposit MO in bank. Repeat.

The sticking point I'm having is paying for the debit card with CC. I was told by two different stores (Safeway and Walgreens; I'm in Santa Clara, CA), that debit cards can only be loaded with cash. Are there specific debit cards that can be loaded with credit cards? If so, which ones and from where are they purchased?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by kickerconspiracy

Been reading here more than a few hours and the method above seemed like that would be the most direct.
A few hours?

I read for 3 months before I started to do anything.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by kickerconspiracy
No experience with MS, so please be kind.

I have the British Airways Visa Signature ($30k/yr = 150,000 miles + free companion fare), and have made about $20K in legit purchases. I want to book two tix from NYC to Barcelona in September 2016, but would like to book soon so whatever seats are available for frequent flier miles are not taken. So that leaves me with $10k to spend.

Been reading here more than a few hours and the method above seemed like that would be the most direct. Use the CC to purchase a prepaid debit card, use debit card to purchase money order, deposit MO in bank. Repeat.

The sticking point I'm having is paying for the debit card with CC. I was told by two different stores (Safeway and Walgreens; I'm in Santa Clara, CA), that debit cards can only be loaded with cash. Are there specific debit cards that can be loaded with credit cards? If so, which ones and from where are they purchased?
If there's a Simon Mall near you, they sell $500 Visa Debit cards for a $3.95 fee. CVS also generally sells Vanilla Visas for $5.95 per $500 (in the DC area at least) and never had a problem using CC to purchase.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:51 pm

If there's a Simon Mall near you, they sell $500 Visa Debit cards for a $3.95 fee. CVS also generally sells Vanilla Visas for $5.95 per $500 (in the DC area at least) and never had a problem using CC to purchase.
Thank you so much for your response! There is a Simon Mall pretty close by. Is there some sort of booth or kiosk where the cards are sold?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.