Search

The 2016 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Taxes, Buxx, and Office supply to be 95% of your spend is not a red flag, it's three red flags.
It's stories like these that make me mix in a bit of 1x and 2x spend (typically hotels) even if it isn't earning the most number of points, and also use it for my legitimate 5x spending (cell phone, etc). I also don't use it for taxes or buxx/serve.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's more just the piling on and the fact that the account has been treated this way from day one it looks like. It doesn't look to good to get an account and hit it with Taxes/Buxx/Office supply VGC's right off the bat and continue it. Prior relationship with bank in question (chase in this case) also comes into play. Ask yourself this, how many people pay their taxes, use Buxx, and buy Office supply VGC who aren't either doing something shady or MS'ing. Banks see them as one in the same.
Why should paying taxes be a red flag?

Many people pay their taxes with CC. It is not anything unusual.

Weekly Buxx load is.

Dont think a couple Office Supply purchases would be issues.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Happy

Weekly Buxx load is.

Dont think a couple Office Supply purchases would be issues.
I used my Chase Ink EXCLUSIVELY at OD. Just completed my $50 K, for 2016, without a peep from them. I literally didn't even buy a cup of coffee with This Card. Strictly 5X. Have been a Chase customer since 1995, with 6 Different Cards currently, may have been a factor. I also currently MS heavily on Chase United Club...no issues there either.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ram Trucks
I used my Chase Ink EXCLUSIVELY at OD. Just completed my $50 K, for 2016, without a peep from them. I literally didn't even buy a cup of coffee with This Card. Strictly 5X. Have been a Chase customer since 1995, with 6 Different Cards currently, may have been a factor. I also currently MS heavily on Chase United Club...no issues there either.
This.
Thank you for posting.

Loading prepaid cards is the factor. Not paying taxes or spending at OD.

If paying taxes get people's cards shut down there would be thousands and thousands angry cardholders.
Please look at this IRS page, and see for yourselves how paying taxes with CC are sanctioned / encouraged by IRS.
https://www.irs.gov/uac/pay-taxes-by...-or-debit-card

IRS even allows the fee as deductible expenses if you file itemized return and meet the conditions.
IRS even offer installment plan if your tax bill is too large for your CC to handle for one single payment.

This is BIG business for the processors. Chase or any CC issuers would not close people's cards just because the cards are used to pay taxes. The tax payment is just a coincidence happening, not a factor for closure.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:28 pm
Suspended

This.
Thank you for posting.

Loading prepaid cards is the factor. Not paying taxes or spending at OD.

If paying taxes get people's cards shut down there would be thousands and thousands angry cardholders.
Please look at this IRS page, and see for yourselves how paying taxes with CC are sanctioned / encouraged by IRS.
https://www.irs.gov/uac/pay-taxes-by...-or-debit-card

IRS even allows the fee as deductible expenses if you file itemized return and meet the conditions.
IRS even offer installment plan if your tax bill is too large for your CC to handle for one single payment.

This is BIG business for the processors. Chase or any CC issuers would not close people's cards just because the cards are used to pay taxes.
Well, in my case, I used Ink exclusively to buy VGC's at OD. I didn't do any shopping at OD (other than VGC's), LOL!
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ram Trucks
Well, in my case, I used Ink exclusively to buy VGC's at OD. I didn't do any shopping at OD (other than VGC's), LOL!
Makes no difference. The spend is done at OD and that is not the primary factor for account closure as your history shows. Seriously, ever since Chase puts a cap of earning on it, that has become a moot point. Now if you try to transfer your UR to somebody else, that would get you shut down for sure.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Thumbs up

Makes no difference. The spend is done at OD and that is not the primary factor for account closure as your history shows. Seriously, ever since Chase puts a cap of earning on it, that has become a moot point. Now if you try to transfer your UR to somebody else, that would get you shut down for sure.
Excellent point. Yes, u are correct that I spent $50 G's in 2016, buying VGC's at OD. You are absolutely correct about transferring points to someone else (not even sure it was possible). Personally, I convert enough points to Cash to cover VGC Fees, then send the other points over to UA. Based on my location, I could always use United Miles, so there they go!
Yes, Chase pretty much expects $50 G's of spend at Staples, OD, etc. per Year.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:14 am

It depends. How many tax payments are we talking about?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:53 am

I run over 100k in tax payments mostly through chase cards (or SPG), but never on ink. I actually never realized they were all chase cards. Any advantage to using ink to pay taxes. I ususally just use it to meet spend thresholds, 10k on chase ritz, 30k on Chase BA, 25k on Chase United, etc. I would much rather get 5x if any of the tax vendors categorize for 5x.
I also have no issues with chase, but it may be because off all the accounts I have open with them. I like their products. I have stopped applying for cards so I can get the reserve card and even considering a dreaded conversation with a banker to get a couple reserve cards.
Which tax processer gives 5X on ink?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FrankMS
It depends. How many tax payments are we talking about?
So it turns out this was ONE tax payment, and it wasn't even enough to hit the initial bonus. As reported up-thread, this was most likely NOT the culprit.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uppereastsider
How much was he spending weekly on Buxx?
I think this has to be it - so, ChaseBuxies, beware!

He was doing $600/week for many, many weeks. Many. Sorta surprised he didn't bother adding more cards, but he was worried he'd piss off NW. Ha! Pissed off Chase.

I gotta figure out how to load my Buxxes now. WF maybe? Not a lot of upside there. Citi and Chase are too hot.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:02 pm

Buxx isnt worth the 1% return imo
Old Aug 16, 2016, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Joshy119
Buxx isnt worth the 1% return imo
It does when you have a CC you can pay off by phone in 4 minutes from your home rather than in public, (in my case, 2x$800=$1,600). The portals were dead for a long period of time, so obviously now TCB is the way to go now, but buxx still has moderate value at 1% with a 4 minute phone call once every 4 weeks for me to unload $1600 at 1% cost.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:00 pm

It does when you have a CC you can pay off by phone in 4 minutes from your home rather than in public, (in my case, 2x$800=$1,600). The portals were dead for a long period of time, so obviously now TCB is the way to go now, but buxx still has moderate value at 1% with a 4 minute phone call once every 4 weeks for me to unload $1600 at 1% cost.
I get the return isn't "terrible" (but not all that lucrative) it just seems like there are enough scattered buxx attributed shutdowns that maybe could be worth it at .4% but at 1% it tosses the risk/reward pendulum personally into the not worth it camp

YMMV of course
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Joshy119
I get the return isn't "terrible" (but not all that lucrative) it just seems like there are enough scattered buxx attributed shutdowns that maybe could be worth it at .4% but at 1% it tosses the risk/reward pendulum personally into the not worth it camp

YMMV of course
1% > .4%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.