Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2016 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:37 pm

The ban hammer was dropped by Nationwide bank in a rather unprofessional matter. In the beginning of April, I sent in MOs for deposit. They sent an email saying they are holding the deposit.

Called them up, they said the hold was "indefinite". Told me someone would contact me. No one called or sent anything until I sent a demand letter and CC'd the OCC and my attorney.

Only sent them a few k.. Worst bank ever
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by groundhog
My Barclay Arrival+ card was shut down today. They don't let me redeem my points. I will be filing to CFPB. Is there any chance to get approved with them in the future?
....and how much in rewards did you have there? There should be no reason to hoard A+ rewards if you're doing MS. I cash out immediately every 2-3 days as soon as charges post, via a refundable hotel booking carefully chosen to match the expected reward dollar amount.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
....and how much in rewards did you have there? There should be no reason to hoard A+ rewards if you're doing MS. I cash out immediately every 2-3 days as soon as charges post, via a refundable hotel booking carefully chosen to match the expected reward dollar amount.
If you were doing this on a regular basis, would this increase the likelihood of them shutting you down?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by 1PercentClub
Volume?
Few thousand a month via Buxx and regular spend.
So any luck with opening accounts after shut down?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by DrForce
If you were doing this on a regular basis, would this increase the likelihood of them shutting you down?
Who knows, apparently doing any kind of MS would increase chances of shutdown, although so far I'm reading mostly reporst from people who did loads to pre-paid cards and pushed bill payments from outside banks.

At least with my method I have almost no points lost if I do get shut down.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:55 pm

RIP UFBDirect. Really surprissed. Only difference is I've started holding a larger balance there rather than the weekly in and then 5 days later out.

If WF weren't dying this would be a crushing blow.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999
RIP UFBDirect. Really surprissed. Only difference is I've started holding a larger balance there rather than the weekly in and then 5 days later out.

What sort of volume?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by missing_link
What sort of volume?
<5K week consistently for months
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by groundhog
My Barclay Arrival+ card was shut down today. They don't let me redeem my points. I will be filing to CFPB. Is there any chance to get approved with them in the future?
Barclays closed my account few months back. I reported to CFPB and got my points redeemed to cash within a month. I had 3 cards with them and they closed all of them at the same time.

Chances of getting new card approved might be difficult but I would give atleast 6 months before applying it again.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:21 am

Hmmm any other info you can provide would be appreciated. I deposited one MO yesterday, and from then on I got "Deposit rejected due to Deposit Policy". I was concerned, but this morning 3 were accepted, so I'm hoping it was a system error and no hiccups.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by dethkultur
Hmmm any other info you can provide would be appreciated. I deposited one MO yesterday, and from then on I got "Deposit rejected due to Deposit Policy". I was concerned, but this morning 3 were accepted, so I'm hoping it was a system error and no hiccups.
I really wish I could provide you more information, but I was stunned when I saw the letter. I hadn't altered any of my patterns since I got the account over 4 months ago. The only difference was I was actually keeping more of my money there recently (which I would assume would be a good thing for the bank). So, no clue why its getting shut down. Maybe I was a money loser for them?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:40 am

I really wish I could provide you more information, but I was stunned when I saw the letter. I hadn't altered any of my patterns since I got the account over 4 months ago. The only difference was I was actually keeping more of my money there recently (which I would assume would be a good thing for the bank). So, no clue why its getting shut down. Maybe I was a money loser for them?
That's a shocker. My plan was to put more money on my goto banks/CUs but that looks like it's not a fool proof plan either!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:03 am

UFB Direct

<5K week consistently for months
Where you doing MO deposits or DC spending for AA miles or both?
I use the DC for about 10k a month just for the free miles.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
That's a shocker. My plan was to put more money on my goto banks/CUs but that looks like it's not a fool proof plan either!
Yep, I'm down roughly half of my banks since I started WF earlier this year. If this wasn't essentially dead I would have major issues now... Every time I start getting comfortable something new pops up its ugly head!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by chaser123
Where you doing MO deposits or DC spending for AA miles or both?
I use the DC for about 10k a month just for the free miles.
just MOs, I didn't even know about the miles thing until someone mentioned it here a few days ago lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.