Good Bye My Dear Friends

Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:28 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SeahawkRaptor
Am I the only one old enough to remember c2it? That and savings bonds are where it all started for me.

The bonds I bought and was smart enough to hold on to are still paying great today thanks to the interest rate in effect back then.
Savings bonds have variable rates.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:43 pm

Good Bye My Dear Friends

Ya, my savings bonds have done extremely well and when used for education expenses are almost state and fed tax free. I was using the 5% GM card which allowed me to purchase a brand new Corolla/prizm for $8,000 on now bankrupt cars.com. Good run while it lasted.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Also recalling various airline toolbars that used to give miles when used for inquiries and US Bank offers to get cash advances for FlexPerks at favorable interest rates and minimal fees. Long ago friends that now RIP.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K
This thread makes me want to kick myself for not realizing the possibilities sooner. I guess I gotta keep looking for new methods. Seems that evolution is part of the game...
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:18 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
You can't reload $500 gc as debit cards into BB anymore?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:26 am

RIP early 2000s getting a promotional check with 0% interest for a year and no fees (!) and writing said check for 85k, depositing it into a one year CD and cashing out a year later, paying off the balance, and pocketing $4000 ^

The good ole days
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:42 am

Barc Arrival portal on AGC/calling "Greg" at Amex to register AGC cards/TopCash to get between .5% and 1% on personalized VGC from giftcardmall/unloading into BB a week later, 2 runs per month. I was late to that party but I got a few months in.

Staples VisaSavingsEdge as mentioned, nice perk
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:40 am

4x Alaska miles for AGC.

Also, anyone remember a deal Discover had for the malls around the holidays? You made a purchase and then turned in your receipt and got something like $20 for every $200 you spent. I did lots of shopping and lots of returns at different malls
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by dsauch
suntrust for real
For most people, yes. But not for me. I still get Delta SkyMiles for Delta ST debit card transfers to BB every month. Sure, it's not as valuable as before, but I still come out ahead as a grandfathered Delta ST debit card holder.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 7:31 am

The UFB debit card and the Suntrust debit card are members of the Z-Nation. If you have money in the bank and can find a drug store that issues MOs by cards, UFB limps along like a character from an old George Romero movie.

Originally Posted by DCBob
For most people, yes. But not for me. I still get Delta SkyMiles for Delta ST debit card transfers to BB every month. Sure, it's not as valuable as before, but I still come out ahead as a grandfathered Delta ST debit card holder.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz
4x Alaska miles for AGC.
Even 2x Virgin America miles a few years back. I got 120000 of them. Booked 3 short flights and one flight to Hawaii and only managed to use 22000 of them.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Phantom707
If you're referring to view Best Buy, they still do give points for purchases of gift cards, including Visa. The difference is that even if you're an elite member, you only ever get 1X points.

I know that you can't use the rewards certificates on Visa gift cards, but I think it's still possible to buy merchant cards. I don't remember exactly.

Something that definitely did die with them, though, is the ability to buy Visa gift cards using Best Buy gift cards.
Let me clarify. You could go in and buy a BB Gift Card. Then take the BB gift card YOU JUST BOUGHT and use it to buy another BB Gift Card AND GET BB REWARD POINTS. Whatever you're referencing above was certainly not this.

Only lasted about a couple weeks (maybe two) but it was massively profitable. Downside is I'm BBBFL (Best Buy Banned For Life)
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Jesperss
RIP early 2000s getting a promotional check with 0% interest for a year and no fees (!) and writing said check for 85k, depositing it into a one year CD and cashing out a year later, paying off the balance, and pocketing $4000 ^

The good ole days
Downside of this is back then there was so much MS momentum that having 85k tied up for a year wouldn't seem like a good idea (unless you had substantial capital).
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Unless you sign up for 12-month 5.00 APR CD at Altra FCU. You will need to join and do other banking activity to be legit.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:04 am

And then there is this MS story from tales from the crypt...

Years back you could get student loans with 0% interest in college and invest then in banks or preferred stocks at up to 15% interest. These days students pay student loans with interest in college and investment rates are so bad they are even negative in some places.

See how Japan has gamed the interest rate limbo game. It answers the question "How low can you go?"

http://thediplomat.com/2016/02/what-...interest-rate/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.