Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Do cash loads at WM require DL swipe?
no
Old Apr 17, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SarahS
That's not the issue. What the issue is is whether or not it LOOKS like money laundering.

I understand that it is not money laundering. But financial institutions get nervous if anything looks out of the ordinary.
This is true, but the CVS clerks were my biggest hurdle in this game.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mamibear
since you said this, consider yourself lucky if all your six accounts stay active if, and when, there is another wave of shutdown.

so far, you're the only MSer I know whose accounts have not been affected by the 2 shutdowns while doing the same thing that most MSers have been doing and shutdown.
The people who got shut down, were the ones who were loading $1999/day and the following day paying off the CC's. I have slowed down my MS, I'm only doing 7K a month over 6 accounts, and of these accounts I'm switching up who I pay with them too. I'm trying to make it look like these are regular spends and bill pay..
Old Apr 17, 2016, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
The people who got shut down, were the ones who were loading $1999/day and the following day paying off the CC's. I have slowed down my MS, I'm only doing 7K a month over 6 accounts, and of these accounts I'm switching up who I pay with them too. I'm trying to make it look like these are regular spends and bill pay..
That's what you think but it's far from reality. My mom only does direct deposit only according to their T&C and she got shutdown. Many that I know only did $500 loads either online or in-store and didn't w/d via b/p, bank acct transfer or atm. There are others who didn't have any activity on their accounts with a balance on their account and got shutdown. With this said, there's no rhyme and rhythm to accounts they shutdown by surprise.

So far, you remain to be the only one whose ALL accounts have been spared. Some got some of their multiple accounts spared but not all like yours. I've read shutdowns are now daily instead of scheduled ones. You are truly the luckiest MSer with am3x prepaids that have remained active with your MS activity. I hope your luck keeps going.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 10:57 am

I was shutdown a week ago and I wasn't doing those types of loads. I was barely loading 2k a month. I was doing bill pay for CC, phone, and cable, but also several swipes a week. I even had my small tax refund sent to the account. I was using it more than my bank debit card. I also used the checks and never sent one to myself. The only thing I can think of that might have been the cause of my shutdown was that I paid my husband's cc bill from the account.
I have another card the I am loading 5k a month to and pulling out via ATM and it's still open.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
I've read shutdowns are now daily instead of scheduled ones.
Have you seen enough data points to prove this?
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by johnnie198x
Have you seen enough data points to prove this?
I've read a lot of incidental reports in blogs that said they've been shutdown certain days. I've been seeing it on a daily basis so I'm not sure if they're members or lurkers here. I have reasons to believe many that are shutdown don't report it for whatever reasons.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
I've read a lot of incidental reports in blogs that said they've been shutdown certain days. I've been seeing it on a daily basis so I'm not sure if they're members or lurkers here. I have reasons to believe many that are shutdown don't report it for whatever reasons.
I'd wait for more concrete data to conclude, because it's possible that people report late. If there are people getting shutdown every 2-3 days for 2-3 weeks, then we can confirm.
Plus, kind of redundant to run every day since there are not many left, but it's possible because they can.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 2:43 pm

Shutdown

My shutdown email came on April 12th.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Donna16
My shutdown email came on April 12th.
what where your spending habits with BB or Serve?
Old Apr 17, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
Originally Posted by Donna16
I was shutdown a week ago and I wasn't doing those types of loads. I was barely loading 2k a month. I was doing bill pay for CC, phone, and cable, but also several swipes a week. I even had my small tax refund sent to the account. I was using it more than my bank debit card. I also used the checks and never sent one to myself. The only thing I can think of that might have been the cause of my shutdown was that I paid my husband's cc bill from the account.
I have another card the I am loading 5k a month to and pulling out via ATM and it's still open.
how were (are) you loading the serve(s)?
Old Apr 17, 2016, 6:39 pm

Shutdown

Originally Posted by odin99
how were (are) you loading the serve(s)?
I was using Bluebird. I did some VGC loads, always under $500. I also did a couple transfers from another BB account which might have also been the problem. Who knows really. It had only been open about 4 months. I am fairly new at this.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
I had one account shut down in January, the other one survived. I then decided to hit it hard for one last time. After all what good is a MS tool if you can't use it. I had never paid a credit card bill with any of the two, I paid my kids college rent and various bills when I was to lazy to go get a stamp. I always reloaded them with gift cards of the Vanilla Reloads in the past (remember those days?).

For the lat stand I ordered $4K worth of gift cards at Staples and deposited them over the course of about a week at Walmart. Sure enough, a week after the last deposit I got the shutdown e-mail from Amex.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by drminn
I had never paid a credit card bill with any of the two, I paid my kids college rent and various bills when I was to lazy to go get a stamp. I always reloaded them with gift cards of the Vanilla Reloads in the past (remember those days?).

For the lat stand I ordered $4K worth of gift cards at Staples and deposited them over the course of about a week at Walmart. Sure enough, a week after the last deposit I got the shutdown e-mail from Amex.
You got shut down even without paying your CC bill? wow, that's not encouraging. Well, seems like I'm going down the same path. I just opened up both Serve/BB and loading them hard to pay out an auto loan as fast as it allows. If they have a problem with me earning some travel points while I'm paying for my car, I guess I don't care at that point, the game will lose its value. They are the ones who set the cash load limits. If they think it's too much, just lower it or charge fees to discourage VGC loading. It'd be nice to understand their rationale.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.