Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bluebird Shutdowns

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:00 pm

On Monday my friend got 3 "debit not approved" messages from Kate trying to load Metabank VGCs and then on the 4th attempt Kate worked and he was able to load $1800 without any further problems... so knowing that I went yesterday to the same Kate hoping for a similar result, but I instead got 7 "debit not approved" messages on Metabank VGCs until the system locked me out. I know it locks you out when you pass $1999 in transactions, but I didn't know it would count the failed transactions as part of the $1999 limit as well. A manager was walking by right at that moment and asked if I needed help. She saw the locked screen so she asked me to move over and she logged in and reset the machine, told me I was probably over my limit (she thought I was trying to take money out of the machine). So I said oh yea I forgot I took money out after midnight last night so I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow lol. Today, I stopped at another WM... Kate worked perfectly but I only had $600 of VGCs on me. Will go back tomorrow with the rest of my stash.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:20 pm

has anyone tried to just close it and open a serve account to continue usual practice? thanks,
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by matthewak
has anyone tried to just close it and open a serve account to continue usual practice? thanks,
Yes, many...but most reports are that those who were shutdown are unable to sign up for any (Serve, Bluebird, OB) similar AmEx product.

Something similar to this:

Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:00 pm

thanks John; it's a pity! BB was such a convenient way to also meet my RCA monthly debits (by adding money to my account multiple times). now, is there anything easier/cleaner than buying a bunch of amazon egc's i wonder for me to do that.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:13 am

I have redbird card at 0 balance, is almost worthless. Will I be able to cancel RB online and apply next day online for BB? loading meta bank Gebit card on BB at WMT still works? or is it simple to just buy MO with it at WMT? I am out of MS for last 6/8 months, so much has changed....thinking of starting a little of MS again!
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11
I have redbird card at 0 balance, is almost worthless. Will I be able to cancel RB online and apply next day online for BB? loading meta bank Gebit card on BB at WMT still works? or is it simple to just buy MO with it at WMT? I am out of MS for last 6/8 months, so much has changed....thinking of starting a little of MS again!
not many options left, haha
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
not many options left, haha
what do u mean?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by suncityguy
On Monday my friend got 3 "debit not approved" messages from Kate trying to load Metabank VGCs and then on the 4th attempt Kate worked and he was able to load $1800 without any further problems... so knowing that I went yesterday to the same Kate hoping for a similar result, but I instead got 7 "debit not approved" messages on Metabank VGCs until the system locked me out. I know it locks you out when you pass $1999 in transactions, but I didn't know it would count the failed transactions as part of the $1999 limit as well. A manager was walking by right at that moment and asked if I needed help. She saw the locked screen so she asked me to move over and she logged in and reset the machine, told me I was probably over my limit (she thought I was trying to take money out of the machine). So I said oh yea I forgot I took money out after midnight last night so I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow lol. Today, I stopped at another WM... Kate worked perfectly but I only had $600 of VGCs on me. Will go back tomorrow with the rest of my stash.
Yep, declined transactions do count towards the limit. Basically if you get to the point swiping a form of payment it counts, regardless of outcome.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
I'm hurting from the loss of Bluebird (and everything else that was shutdown in 2015) as much as everyone else, but I just want to throw this out there:

Having one of these accounts is never a right. You are always at the mercy of the card issuer's whims, whether fair or not. Every card out there (Bluebird included) has language in their T&C that pretty much says: "We can close your account at any time for any reason and we don't have to tell you why".

Many years ago, I took on this battle with a CC, escalating to numerous levels of supervisors, arguing technicalities on why I wasn't actually in violation of any specific rules. They even agreed with me on that front. But in the end, they still said, nope, we choose to close your account. Have a nice day.

Now back to finding something else viable...
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:13 pm
Suspended

I closed my account after they shut me down. Now they send me this:

We want to let you know about a change to the terms and conditions of your American Express Bluebird® Account.

The Bluebird Consent Statement has been updated to allow our third-party feature providers to meet their communication obligations to Bluebird customers electronically instead of on paper.

For more information about this change, you can click here to view the updated Consent Statement.

???
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
I closed my account after they shut me down. Now they send me this:

We want to let you know about a change to the terms and conditions of your American Express Bluebird® Account.

The Bluebird Consent Statement has been updated to allow our third-party feature providers to meet their communication obligations to Bluebird customers electronically instead of on paper.

For more information about this change, you can click here to view the updated Consent Statement.

???
I got the same thing on my (closed) serve...salt in the wound.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by prasha11
prasha11

Here is a guide on how to close one and open the other, written by Shawn of MilesToMemories...it is the easiest step-by-step guide I have seen on how to do it efficiently and immediately.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 6:17 pm

Anyone else get kate and bluebird to work after getting multiple Debit Not Approved messages?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by uneeq
Anyone else get kate and bluebird to work after getting multiple Debit Not Approved messages?
yes, twice in a row. I just went to the register and it worked with cashier.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA, HH, SPG, UA
Originally Posted by Mamibear
yes, twice in a row. I just went to the register and it worked with cashier.
No luck for me! Went last week and went today also, same message 'debit not aoproved'
I may have to try another store to see if it works there since yours worked at the register. I'm only trying with cashier's as there is no kate at the store I go to.
So weird! Not sure if it's this store or the vgc I'm using?!?! Never had a problem before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.