Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bluebird Shutdowns

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: Too many to list
2 out of 5 BB got shut down this morning. Will see what happens with other 3.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:02 pm

I didn't receive an email. I also checked the spam folder. But when I tried to load VC in two different Walmarts today. I got the error "Debit not Approved". Is it a glitch or my account is actually closed? How to find out?
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:18 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by JL100
I should not be surprised anymore but it is always interesting why the banks put in these features on their products that they actually don't want people to use. I mean why not set it up so that it makes sense from the beginning? Believe me, I'm glad they don't, but this is same company that realized years later than not having a limit for OBC may be a bad idea...
Features like fee-free ATM withdrawals abroad. How many "underbanked" broke customers travel to foreign countries while not able to even get a bank account with debit card.

These prepaid products are useless from the start and were feeding on the stupid poor who didn't know any better. I think now CUs and many small local banks are starting to service those consumers.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by georgechen
I didn't receive an email. I also checked the spam folder. But when I tried to load VC in two different Walmarts today. I got the error "Debit not Approved". Is it a glitch or my account is actually closed? How to find out?
why not just call Amex and see if there is a problem with your account, why do people come on to FT and asking questions like this??
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:35 am

I would do 2 things to confirm if you are dead. One thing is to first double check to see if your VGC is active with funds in it. Second thing is to try loading with online debit card. If you are dead in the water the system won't allow you to load at all. If you are able to load debit online with bank card then you gotta check out what is going on.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
I would do 2 things to confirm if you are dead. One thing is to first double check to see if your VGC is active with funds in it. Second thing is to try loading with online debit card. If you are dead in the water the system won't allow you to load at all. If you are able to load debit online with bank card then you gotta check out what is going on.
+1

Did not receive the "greeting" email on my account. Needed to do some shopping at WM anyway so tried to load a MGC on it at Kate, and received the same "Call authorizer" error message. (It's weird because I also tried a card for which I did receive the termination email to see how dead it was and it showed "illegible account".)

Anyway, I tried to do a CC online load on the "no-email" card later and it did not go through with the "unusual activities" message.

So even if you did not receive the email, you may still want to check to see if you are really "safe" (for now ).
Old Jan 10, 2016, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by usalibido
+1

Did not receive the "greeting" email on my account. Needed to do some shopping at WM anyway so tried to load a MGC on it at Kate, and received the same "Call authorizer" error message. (It's weird because I also tried a card for which I did receive the termination email to see how dead it was and it showed "illegible account".)

Anyway, I tried to do a CC online load on the "no-email" card later and it did not go through with the "unusual activities" message.

So even if you did not receive the email, you may still want to check to see if you are really "safe" (for now ).
You can't load a CC on line, but you can load from a debit card.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:00 am

I noticed one of my BB didn't get the email last Friday and there is no DC linked to it so I did a test load @ WM of $25 with a CU prepaid and it went through. That's how I knew it was still good so I proceeded to max it out to $2.5K. Instead of focusing on my 'losses', I was grateful for what was left.

regarding the 'debit not approved' message, I get that message every now and then so I just move to the next register and fwr, the VGCs go through. IDK how to explain it but it is what it is. IF you get that message after several tries, the problem must be with your BB so decide on what action to take.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:53 am

Debit not approved Call authorizer is the error message I received when I tried to load two days in a row at KATE. Went and checked email and sure enough both of our BB cards had been shutdown.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
It's all my fault

I started coins: 2 months later, Drum Drum and then the mint stops CC purchases
I started with OVs: One month later no more online loads to BB
I was just heading out to WM to load GCs to BB for the first time today

But could we please have another Hitler movie clip, and I hope it will include a cameo appearance by Emily!

Last edited by 236Dakota; Jan 10, 2016 at 9:19 am
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Well I just transferred all my money out of my 2 Serve accounts via bill pay. Will close them once the payments have posted.

Now to go buy money orders... Oh well. Thanks Amex and Serve for the good times while they lasted.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Has anyone with a bank account linked to their card been shut down? I do a significant amount of GC load on mine and it was not shut down. This is the only thing I can think of that makes sense.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 1:29 pm

so has anyone received the shutdown email from amex < not a suspension email >, called amex, been greenlighted by amex, then tried to load via kate or wm register?
i have done all of these things but i have nothing to put into bb at the moment, so no way to test it...
seems like very few of you called the # on the back of the card. amex should be innundated with calls not FT innundated with posts..

ps the writing has been on the wall with bb.. no talk of chip cards, and there was a strangely ominous email that went out a few months ago about not being able to change financial institutions for withdrawals < or something to that extent >
Old Jan 10, 2016, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16
Has anyone with a bank account linked to their card been shut down? I do a significant amount of GC load on mine and it was not shut down. This is the only thing I can think of that makes sense.
Me. Both my wife and I have BB with a bank account linked (same account link to both...probably not my smartest move). We both were shut down. Both BB's were loaded with VGC, then paid some bills and transferred the remaining balance back to our bank account each month.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, AA, Delta, Southwest CP, Citi Prestige, MLife Platinum
1 of 2 cards not able to load - no email on either card, but my card but will not load debit at WM, has bank account linked. Wife's card has same usage but not linked with a bank account and still will load - loaded today and worked as normal. Going to continue as normal loading GC to that card to meet spend on latest apps, but will not max out January, but want to load some in case shut down coming soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.