Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bluebird Shutdowns

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:25 pm

The CSR I talked to was completely useless, oh well.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by 12three
right above you bud.. i did. guy said load away, but i dont plan to go to walmart soon..
Have you tried an online load?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
Amex is probably hurting for cash. Look at their stock price in the last 6 months.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by lonelycrowd
Yep. There's a teenager working at my local Simon Guest Services who probably won't mind having more time to play whatever game he always seems to be so absorbed in on his iPhone...

Seriously, though, Simon and other gift card retailers are probably the link in the chain that will be hurt the most. I think the consensus from the "economics of MS" threads I've come across has been that the retailers are most likely making a margin on gift card sales that exceeds their credit card processing fees. The losers in MS (and thus today's victors) are the gift card issuers (MetaBank) who don't get the full 1.8%-ish processing fee when their cards are run as debit with PIN.
Doesn't AMEX and every other card issuer suffer here too? If tens of millions of $$ in manufactured spend is being run through their cards, they are getting swipe fees on those gift card purchases. Perhaps the fraud losses exceeded the swipe fees, but that seems unlikely to me. The fraud occurs when the gift card is purchased with a stolen credit card number, not when the gift card is loaded to bluebird or serve. And even if the fraud losses were significant, wouldn't AMEX be looking at how to eliminate the fraud, not how to throw the baby out with the bathwater?

I wonder if the Feds were snooping around asking questions about tens of millions in untraceable debit loads. That could easily have caused AMEX to close accounts with those loading patterns out of compliance fears.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
Doesn't AMEX and every other card issuer suffer here too? If tens of millions of $$ in manufactured spend is being run through their cards, they are getting swipe fees on those gift card purchases.
Definitely. I doubt that the banks are as aware of the impact of gift card purchases on their bottom line though as a high volume merchant like Simon, or a national retailer with a dedicated analyst for prepaid card products.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Termination Of Funds Loading Capabilities on Your Bluebird® Account

I called Amex to inquire. After a 10 minute wait in the queue I got thru, the CSR had no idea why my account was flagged and then put me on hold to get the supervisor. The call got dropped.

I called again, waited 10 minutes and talked to a new CSR. They got the supervisor and said they had no idea but did confirm that my account would not be able to add funds stating that, Amex is trying to protect against money laundering.....

When I asked what can I do to keep my account open for adding new funds she said to write in to Amex as indicated in the email. I said I'm talking to Amex now what is the difference. Reply "I'm really sorry sir, that is the process I'm being told to pass along to you". So I just write a letter and then they reinstate my adding of funds capability?

I doubt its that simple. In 2015 I added maybe 5K worth of Simon Visa GC, that's it and nothing in the past 4 months. They must really be cracking down. I think I'm not going to bother writing them, the game may be over.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: AOPA
I guess there will a lot of "travel" Blogs going out of business.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddy25
I guess not.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
Im wondering if this has to do with card address on file. 2 of 3 of mine were shut down. Same activity on all 3, Kate, vgc, Bill pay to Amex, but two of the cards have the same mailing address, the 3rd card that did not get shut down has a different mailing address..
Hit a lot of our cards with several address so doubt it.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:55 pm
jmw

Good riddance to those unethical folks.... Now they'll need real day jobs, and their credit card pimping experience will probably not help them gain employment. I don't feel the least bit sorry for them.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
So you're saying Mr. Bowtie, after recently losing his wife, now will lose his business in short order too? That's a rough year.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by solstys
Have you tried an online load?
negative; i dont have anything to load it with in any way at the moment and i dont feel like making technically unnecessary trips for nothing more than a datapoint. i dont believe the csr i spoke with knew ... he was talking about, like i said he was not a native speaker, so surely he would not be able to read & understand the complexities of the situation.. he was just some guy churning calls for amex and collecting a check. i would imagine i am blocked as the email says and as the other poster who called in mentioned above
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:06 pm

Still haven't received an email on 1/3 accounts. Not sure how to proceed with that account- try loading or sit quiet for a while to let the storm pass?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
Originally Posted by tsmith12
Still haven't received an email on 1/3 accounts. Not sure how to proceed with that account- try loading or sit quiet for a while to let the storm pass?
I still have one account opened. I'm going to MS as much as I can. No use in playing it conservatively because we all get shut down eventually. If Amex didn't shut us down, it would have been kiosks being removed or $500 GCs being impossible to find/buy with a CC.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:12 pm

Got an email as well but none for the family members in my account. So, i guess i can still load on their accounts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.