Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skitch23
This thread is a continuation of the previous discussion located here.

See post #412 - Ordering gc's thru the Kroger site will post fuel points to the associated shopper card upon shipment of physical cards and email delivery for e-gc's. Points are earned in the same increments as if you bought them at the store (usually 2x or 4x if there is a promotion). Transactions are processed by GiftCardMall and therefore do not earn additional points/cb from your credit card issuer for a "supermarket purchase".
Print Wikipost

Kroger master thread (2016 to 2018)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by givingitatry
Had an issue buying a $500 VGC last night at self checkout line. The register kept telling me to remove unscanned item from bag. Had to call a Kroger employee over and he looked at my screen and said from now on high dollar amount Visa's have to be purchased at the customer service desk. Said it was recent change and when asked didn't know the threshold limit for allowable sale at regular register. He mentioned corporate memo. Since this is my main store for MO's I don't want to purchase gift cards there, so I will use one of the many other local Krogers for buying VGc's. If I encounter this at another store, I will update.

This is south Houston area.
I've received this message before. I just remove the card from the bag and set it next to the self scanner or somewhere I won't forget it and the message goes away after that. If I'm not buying groceries, I never put any of them in bags and the self checkout machine is just fine with that.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by knopfler
I've received this message before. I just remove the card from the bag and set it next to the self scanner or somewhere I won't forget it and the message goes away after that. If I'm not buying groceries, I never put any of them in bags and the self checkout machine is just fine with that.
I will try without groceries, but the Rep stated at my store, that a change was made requiring high dollar amt VGC to be purchase at service desk. I will try again this weekend and see, but I had never received this message in the previous year.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:42 pm

I will try without groceries, but the Rep stated at my store, that a change was made requiring high dollar amt VGC to be purchase at service desk. I will try again this weekend and see, but I had never received this message in the previous year.
Tried again today at same kroger and different one buying 49x.xx cards and no problem. Must have been a scanning issue with the bag of salad I was buying and CSR didn't know what he was talking about, or else $500 triggers a problem.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Tried again today at same kroger and different one buying 49x.xx cards and no problem. Must have been a scanning issue with the bag of salad I was buying and CSR didn't know what he was talking about, or else $500 triggers a problem.
Let that be a lesson to not eat your veggies!!
Old May 25, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
At one of the Ralphs that I used to frequent, variables could not be purchased at self-checkout, and I know the store didn't do any real volume on them. So, this sort of thing doesn't surprise me.

If this is your regular store, just roll with it. That'll make it easier for everyone.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by sechs
At one of the Ralphs that I used to frequent, variables could not be purchased at self-checkout, and I know the store didn't do any real volume on them. So, this sort of thing doesn't surprise me.

If this is your regular store, just roll with it. That'll make it easier for everyone.
Variables have been fine for over a year, I guess a one time hiccup. Will find out more this weekend, net to hit the OBC card hard before my anniversary date.
Old May 26, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
At what point do they fill out the anti-MO form? I need to get $8k (using a ST debit card, not VGC). I know they only issue up to $1k and I've bought $2k before. But what amount triggers the form?
Old May 27, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
At Kroger it's $3K iirc.
Old May 27, 2017, 1:29 pm

When buying MO at Kroger, does VGC auto drain or one has to ask for split tender? Thanks.
Old May 27, 2017, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Ab Az
When buying MO at Kroger, does VGC auto drain or one has to ask for split tender? Thanks.

It autodrains for me but you may cause suspicion when the csr notices it happening
Old May 31, 2017, 9:48 pm

Had an issue buying a $500 VGC last night at self checkout line. The register kept telling me to remove unscanned item from bag. Had to call a Kroger employee over and he looked at my screen and said from now on high dollar amount Visa's have to be purchased at the customer service desk. Said it was recent change and when asked didn't know the threshold limit for allowable sale at regular register. He mentioned corporate memo. Since this is my main store for MO's I don't want to purchase gift cards there, so I will use one of the many other local Krogers for buying VGc's. If I encounter this at another store, I will update.

This is south Houston area.
Not to ask a bit of a newb question but which VGC are you buying at Kroger? I thought a lot of them had fraud / had been drained prior to purchase?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by jnjustice94
Not to ask a bit of a newb question but which VGC are you buying at Kroger? I thought a lot of them had fraud / had been drained prior to purchase?
The USBank black design or grey and purple are what are stocked where I shop.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
The USBank black design or grey and purple are what are stocked where I shop.
Cupcake, Black or the purple present VGC Variable is what my 3 Krogys stock. And NO, they are not drained before activation. Only thing I do is I always drain them before 24 hours after purchase, just in case someone wants to try to buy something at GAP Cali. Also, it helps my 2 Wally s are in front of the Krogys
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
For those of you who missed it (like I almost did), my Kroger has two digital coupons up for vgc/mgc's.

One is $5 off your grocery purchase with a $50 card (one time use, expires 6/18). The other is 4x fuel points on $25, $50 or $100 fixed value cards (unlimited uses, expires 6/6).
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:08 pm

Senior moment -- Can a One Vanilla Visa be used at Kroger to purchase MO?

Edit: Answering my own question: yes, they work fine.

Last edited by tuphat; Jun 8, 2017 at 3:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.