Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skitch23
This thread is a continuation of the previous discussion located here.

See post #412 - Ordering gc's thru the Kroger site will post fuel points to the associated shopper card upon shipment of physical cards and email delivery for e-gc's. Points are earned in the same increments as if you bought them at the store (usually 2x or 4x if there is a promotion). Transactions are processed by GiftCardMall and therefore do not earn additional points/cb from your credit card issuer for a "supermarket purchase".
Print Wikipost

Kroger master thread (2016 to 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:36 am

In DTW, it's enforced by transaction.

One can go to another cashier to buy more!
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by mittenfingerz
I don't understand why more places don't implement this policy. To me it's super easy and almost fool proof. Check ID, check the receipt matches last 4 on card, and you're good to go. It's simple and I think anyone could learn this process in one lesson. If you work behind the counter, you should be able to handle this.

Now I have stores that want to call in and authorize the charge after they were hit with fraud. They do that, hand me my card back, and then I'm free to swipe another card. Behind the counter, they have no clue if I'm swiping something else. It's idiotic. Or the stores that want to swipe the card for me because they have had people try to switch cards after they match it to ID. But they don't check the last 4. Or the stores that now want me to sign a paper receipt to combat fraud.

No wonder they have such problems with fraud! I almost feel like the deserve it sometimes...
If they do a Code 10 they should be manually inputting the Auth Code that the Code 10 Operator gives them. If they are doing a call for authorization then having you swipe the card like normal I don't think they will be guaranteed payment in the event of fraud. Maybe I am wrong.

Do they stay on the line and then, after the card processes, provide the auth code to the Code 10 Operator to have it documented?

I would think at that point it would be caught that the wrong card was swiped? Otherwise their call for auth was pointless.

Anyone who wants to do a large enough fraud will get a fake ID. Showing ID provides a false sense of security. Very false. For in person transactions we need Chip and PIN on credit cards. That would address a lot of these issues.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by storewanderer
If they do a Code 10 they should be manually inputting the Auth Code that the Code 10 Operator gives them. If they are doing a call for authorization then having you swipe the card like normal I don't think they will be guaranteed payment in the event of fraud. Maybe I am wrong.

Do they stay on the line and then, after the card processes, provide the auth code to the Code 10 Operator to have it documented?

I would think at that point it would be caught that the wrong card was swiped? Otherwise their call for auth was pointless.

Anyone who wants to do a large enough fraud will get a fake ID. Showing ID provides a false sense of security. Very false. For in person transactions we need Chip and PIN on credit cards. That would address a lot of these issues.
Chip and PIN? That ship has sailed. We will be stuck with chip and sig for another 10 years.

I'm not sure if it's a Code 10 authorization. I just know they call a number, different depending on Amex or Visa/MC, authorize the charge on my credit card, and then have me swipe. I've had to do this with at least 3 different stores and they never know what I'm talking about when I say they need to use the auth code. It's a big problem because I get the auth plus the actual charge and the auth doesn't fall off for like a week. At this point, I give them a card I don't care about, then swipe the card I want to use.

Each store that does this now did it in response to fraud. I suspect they will continue to have the same problems with fraud despite these measures.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:22 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
You are right that this procedure is wrong. If they call for auth the call should give them an auth code and they should use that for the transaction. Then only that one pending charge would show up, not both.

Not so sure Chip and Pin has sailed. I guess we will see in a few years.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:33 am

Earn 4X Fuel Points on Gift Cards
2 weeks only! You’ll earn 4X fuel points on Valentine’s Day favorites, including restaurant, movie theater, gaming and music Gift Cards. Offer valid through 2/13/2016.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by lumangoy
In DTW, it's enforced by transaction.

One can go to another cashier to buy more!
FFS - that's exactly what the original memo that came from Kroger HQ implies not to do and for cashiers to watch for. You're playing with fire.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by gshumaker
Earn 4X Fuel Points on Gift Cards
2 weeks only! You’ll earn 4X fuel points on Valentine’s Day favorites, including restaurant, movie theater, gaming and music Gift Cards. Offer valid through 2/13/2016.
I bought some chipotle cards tonite to top up January's points but they only rang up as 2x. The manager was able to add the missing points for me... Maybe this isn't live til tomorrow even tho it's posted on the website?

Side note: it's interesting to me how the managers seem to rotate between stores. Over the last few months I've noticed that the mgr from store 1 went to store 2, the manager from store 2 went to store 3 and now tonite the manager from store 3 was at store 1. Kinda hard to lay low on mo's when they recognize you at a store across town lol.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:42 am

If your kroger sells VGC, do the VGC count as 2x on regular days and 4x when they run the promo's? And if so, is it YMMV to get $500 denominations at Kroger?

Last edited by DeltaNeutral28; Feb 1, 2016 at 8:51 am Reason: .
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
If your kroger sells VGC, do the VGC count as 2x on regular days and 4x when they run the promo's? And if so, is it YMMV to get $500 denominations at Kroger?
AFAIK, only the fixed amount VGC.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Bzzz
AFAIK, only the fixed amount VGC.
Interesting, wondering what the highest denomination is for VGC and what the fee is on top of it with regards to the 4x promo they are currently running?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Interesting, wondering what the highest denomination is for VGC and what the fee is on top of it with regards to the 4x promo they are currently running?
IME they only have $100 max fixed value gc's with a $5.95 fee. Not really worth the hassle imo even with a 6%cb bcp Amex.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by skitch23
IME they only have $100 max fixed value gc's with a $5.95 fee. Not really worth the hassle imo even with a 6%cb bcp Amex.
Yea, the one store gc I'd use is the actual Kroger GC, guess during the 4x promo a $250 gets you the $1 off at the pump if you have a kroger gas station.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:49 am

You get no point when you purchase Kroger gc. you only get points when you spend the Kroger gc to buy something.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:54 am

While liquidation of $100 VGCs is a PITA, it's still a profitable venture as long as you use the full 35 gallons at each fill up. I've been able to buy a combination of VGCs and retail GCs during these 4x point promos to save $70-$100 a month in gas for the past year. The 3%-5% CC cash back nearly wipes out the purchase fees (of course, retail GCs have no purchase fees so that's even more value).

5 x 105.95 = $529.75 for 2119 fuel points ($73.50 full value)
529.75*3%-5% = $15.89-$26.49 cash back
Net cost $29.75-$15.89 to $26.49 = $13.86 to $3.26
Profit $59.64 to $70.24 fuel savings per 3 fillups per month (2 @ $1 off, 1 at 10c off).

It helps that I have a Kroger right around the corner from me, so it's super convenient as well. It'd be nice if they carried at least $200 cards tho...

Of course, any liquidation costs do eat into that if you don't have a BB/Serve any longer, but it's no more difficult than offloading OD's $200 VGCs which have a similar profit margin when bought during their $20 off $300 promos.

No fuel points on Kroger GCs, reloadable debits, or variable load pre-paids.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by shadow520
While liquidation of $100 VGCs is a PITA, it's still a profitable venture as long as you use the full 35 gallons at each fill up.

No fuel points on Kroger GCs, reloadable debits, or variable load pre-paids.
No need to spell it out. You should've added some arrows and circles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.