Kroger master thread (2016 to 2018)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 12, 16, 3:51 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: skitch23
Wiki Link
This thread is a continuation of the previous discussion located here.

See post #412 - Ordering gc's thru the Kroger site will post fuel points to the associated shopper card upon shipment of physical cards and email delivery for e-gc's. Points are earned in the same increments as if you bought them at the store (usually 2x or 4x if there is a promotion). Transactions are processed by GiftCardMall and therefore do not earn additional points/cb from your credit card issuer for a "supermarket purchase".
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Aug 1, 18, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by pdxuser View Post
Do you mean buying the VGC and MO from the same person so they know what you're doing? You buy the VGC from a regular cashier, then tell customer service you want to buy a MO with debit. Two normal transactions that no one cares about.
Guess you missed the cameras, eh ?
Old Aug 2, 18, 12:01 am

Programs: AS MVP, DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titnmn, IHG IC, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by yanxfann View Post
Nope, it won't. And there's no need to do 2 $1K transactions either, instead you're fine doing up to $1999.99 including fees per transaction, just don't cross the $2K/transaction threshold.
Except at Smiths. Smiths has a $500 limit at the self-checkout machines. Over $500 also requires a key override at regular lanes or the money center. Still can do $2K though.
mcRib likes this.
Old Aug 4, 18, 10:25 pm
Suspended

On this current 4x FP gc deal does "limit one coupon per household" mean can use only once? In the past I have had some be valid multiple times and some only once.
Old Aug 5, 18, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by EL3V3N View Post
On this current 4x FP gc deal does "limit one coupon per household" mean can use only once? In the past I have had some be valid multiple times and some only once.
Well, I already bought some VGCs this week and the coupon is still in my account. I would think that means I can do it again...
Old Aug 5, 18, 10:50 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
I wish someone would have mentioned how simple it is to buy VGCs with a CC at any of the two dozen grocery chains that Kroger owns, and to immediately buy money orders at those stores with with the VGCs.

​Kroger owns Baker's, City Market, Copps, Dillon's, Food 4 Less (not all owned by Kroger), Foods Co., Fred Meyer (grocery), Fry's (grocery), Gerbes, Harris Teeter, JayC, King Soopers, Kroger, Lucky's Market, Mariano's, Metro Market, Owen's, Pay Less (grocery), Pick 'n Save, QFC, Ralph's, Roundy's, Ruler and Smith's.

VGCs up to $500 are $5.95, MOs were 79 at my store, reportedly with a limit of $1,999.99 in total MO purchases per day. Any Qs should go in the Kroger thread.
Good thing no one mentioned it to you. Why would I want to do that, if I can cross the street and get a MO at Wally with the VGC bought at Krogy for $0.68 without allowing Kroger to know the VGCs they sell are being cashed out at the same store. Been doing this for years, with my 5% cash back OBC capped now at $50K (ahh the good old days of un capped OBC
Old Aug 5, 18, 7:02 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by bworrell View Post
Except at Smiths. Smiths has a $500 limit at the self-checkout machines. Over $500 also requires a key override at regular lanes or the money center. Still can do $2K though.
Worst is Ralphs in California where you can't do ANY gift card purchases via self checkout...

I think it will let you sneak a $25 gift card through but anything above that locks up and requires a transaction void and to destroy the gift cards attempted...
Old Aug 8, 18, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by storewanderer View Post
Worst is Ralphs in California where you can't do ANY gift card purchases via self checkout...

I think it will let you sneak a $25 gift card through but anything above that locks up and requires a transaction void and to destroy the gift cards attempted...

What area in Ca does Ralphs do that?
Old Aug 8, 18, 11:32 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by genusstones View Post

What area in Ca does Ralphs do that?
I experienced it last year around San Diego. Two different locations. It lets you scan the gift cards. Then when you did the finish and pay, it gave the "wait for attendant" hang and then the attendant comes and says they can't complete the transaction and have to destroy the gift cards. They also had signs posted that said no gift card sales at self checkout (which I ignored).

Safeway in California also has signs up that say "no gift card sales at self checkout" at certain stores (supposed to be all stores according to the division management), and the behavior is exactly the same way there too. You can scan them, then they hang up with a needs approval prompt. Though every time I've done it there, they have always just come over and cleared the approval and let the transaction proceed. Not all locations have the signs posted either.
Old Aug 9, 18, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
When buying MOs at Kroger, the clerk will sometimes request ID and fill out a form when buying $3k in money orders. Is this a SAR, or is it something for internal tracking?
Old Aug 27, 18, 8:43 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Kroger (and related stores) has a coupon for 4X fuel points Visa/MC and most third-party gift cards, through September 3. Time to stock up on amazon!
Old Aug 28, 18, 9:19 am

I wish someone would have mentioned how simple it is to buy VGCs with a CC at any of the two dozen grocery chains that Kroger owns, and to immediately buy money orders at those stores with with the VGCs..
Exactly the kind of behavior that will eventually burn a store or even the entire chain. Keep it on the down low. Pace yourself. Change it up, like go WM sometimes. Be a kool kat, not a lazy pig.
Old Aug 28, 18, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah View Post
Bought a $495 money order at Kroger using a $500 MasterCard gift card. Looking at the receipt, it says "Remaining Balance: 4.15" (The other $0.85 is the MO fee). My takeaway from this is that the machine knows when we use a gebit instead of a regular debit.
Any issues with split payments with MC DGCs?
Old Aug 28, 18, 11:27 pm

I've been striking out with split payments in general, even just splitting a visa gebit and cash to pay the MO fee.. Something about asking for a split payment makes the cashier want to see the card and then say they don't accept gebits, even though the machine accepts them fine.
Renes Points likes this.
Old Aug 30, 18, 12:29 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah View Post
I've been striking out with split payments in general, even just splitting a visa gebit and cash to pay the MO fee.. Something about asking for a split payment makes the cashier want to see the card and then say they don't accept gebits, even though the machine accepts them fine.
Ok, I usually do a Split payment between Cash and VGC in South Cali, as it is the only way to get a $1,000 MO. It almost never fails @Wally, but yesterday the CSR wanted to see the debit card and my ID, as always, but to also swipe it on her side (I gave her a real Prepaid Debit Card from United MP Prepaid without a CHIP). So of course, the transaction failed as I did not have enough funds in it. Ended up not getting my MO. Today, other CSR's, as always, checked the debit card and gave it back, allowing me to swipe the VGC without a problem and getting my $1,000 MO.

Haven't tried Ralphs by Kroger with the Simons. But in the end, I am going back this weekend to the Middle of Nowhere Mid West Wallys and Krogers, where they allow me to buy as many MO with split payment via 2 VGC, so won't keep pushing it in South Cali. I just do not like dealing with super suspicious CSRs

Last edited by carlitos; Aug 30, 18 at 12:38 pm
Old Aug 30, 18, 5:42 pm

is "not authorized" sometimes a timing issue? hoping really that's the case! i'll try some other time. got the ovvgc from WG (5.95 fee) and about 15 minutes later i tried to get an MO with it and got the "not authorized" msg. tried 2x. i had to use my real debit card as i requested 2 MOs. $998 and $498 and didn't wanna hold up the line, create a scene, raise suspicion or something. fwiw, the ones from 7/11 ($4.95 fee ones) worked without a hitch. *more than 1.5 hr after purchase.

Search this Thread