Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the 2016 and onwards Bluebird thread.

The original discussion. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread. The previous 2015 megathread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read the wiki before posting a question.

The most recent huge wave of shutdowns occurred in May 2019.

Most accounts used for MS were shut down on Jan 8, 2016. Another wave of shutdowns occurred on March 4, 2016. Using Bluebird for MS is very likely to lead to account closure. There is no clear pattern as to how to avoid the account shut-downs. Some of the dormant accounts were not shut down.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

For information on switching from BB to Serve, see the Serve thread wiki.

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • Cash loading: $2,500 ($1,999.99 at Walmart) per card per day; $9,000 per day all BB cards combined; $5,000 total per calendar month each card; $10,000 calendar month and $100,000 per year all BB cards combined for each SSN.
  • Direct Deposit: $100,000 per year
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Mobile Check Capture by Ingo® Money - $5,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

The cash load limit for a temp card is $1,500 total.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

Print Wikipost

Bluebird master thread (2016 onwards)

Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:57 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Mamibear
You can only apply for multiples ( max limit 5) IF you haven't been banned yet. Once you're banned, they also ban you from other AXP prepaids UNLESS Incomm changed the rules.
MB, you probably know the answer.

The Paypal PPBDMC was a backup card to use for BB and Serve. Is this still the case? Or any use of it for BB/Serve will lead to immediate shutdown?

This is only for backup purpose, not for regular loading. 1% is still better than bank DC, but probably not worth doing it regularly.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
MB, you probably know the answer.

The Paypal PPBDMC was a backup card to use for BB and Serve. Is this still the case? Or any use of it for BB/Serve will lead to immediate shutdown?

This is only for backup purpose, not for regular loading. 1% is still better than bank DC, but probably not worth doing it regularly.
My PPDC has been in the drawer for over a year now; IOW I have not used it anywhere. AFAIK, that 1%CB you're talking about has stopped working over a year ago when they updated their T&C. I use pPal exclusively to receive $ from portals and DD requirements for bank bonuses.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:17 pm
Suspended

My PPDC has been in the drawer for over a year now; IOW I have not used it anywhere. AFAIK, that 1%CB you're talking about has stopped working over a year ago when they updated their T&C. I use pPal exclusively to receive $ from portals and DD requirements for bank bonuses.
I'll try to read its T&C to see what happens. That is still a 1% card, but with some exclusions I guess. I'd like to use it as a backup card to load, instead of bank DC.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:28 am

I have not tried loading BB anywhere else but WM but from what I've read online, it can be loaded for a fee up to $4.95 at CVS, Walgreens and Duane Reade pharmacies. Years ago we loaded BB using the VR cards from drugstores, but that ship has sailed many moons ago.
You may be surprised that the ship for some niche markets is still chugging along there..
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:44 pm

Hello all,

Appreciate all the info here! I'm new to MS (other than bank account funding), and just wanted to confirm that VGCs issued by Greendot are okay to reload Bluebird with. I saw in the MO thread that its possible to buy MOs with them, but if I could load Bluebird and then ACH pull the funds off that would be even better.

TIA
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:50 pm

Nevermind, I reached my withdraw limit.

Last edited by sonicsmash214; Dec 22, 2018 at 5:10 pm
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:45 am

DP: As of last night, BB and Serve cards can *still be loaded with Bancorp OVs without asking for PIN at SELECT WMs. Don't ask store associates, just swipe your card and see if it's working at YOUR WM. This is highly YMMV.

*this has been working the past two months, some reports say it has stopped working for them so you have to check if it's still working in your area.

FWR, vanillas work only for axp prepaids, does NOT work for WM and GoB prepaids.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by taxquestion332123
Hello all,

Appreciate all the info here! I'm new to MS (other than bank account funding), and just wanted to confirm that VGCs issued by Greendot are okay to reload Bluebird with. I saw in the MO thread that its possible to buy MOs with them, but if I could load Bluebird and then ACH pull the funds off that would be even better.
yes, you can also load them to your BB/S and it's better than buying MOs because it's free. Serve can also be loaded for free at DG and FD but not BB which you can only load for free at WM. This can change without notice so you have to read updates regularly.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:26 am

yes, you can also load them to your BB/S and it's better than buying MOs because it's free. Serve can also be loaded for free at DG and FD but not BB which you can only load for free at WM. This can change without notice so you have to read updates regularly.
Yes, so far from what I've read, I think I'd agree that loading prepaid cards is definitely preferable to getting a MO. Namely because most people are already adjusted to sliding a card, but requesting a money order is somewhat out of the ordinary.

A question for the thread though: I just bought 5x $500 VGCs from GCM. I could make 5 separate trips to liquidate these, but it would be better if I could do more than one per trip. I'm afraid of it being seen as suspicious though, e.g. what reason would I have for, say, loading $1000 as two separate $500 swipes? I assume that is the process, request $1000 and then advise the cashier I need to load $500 per swipe.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:51 am

Yes, so far from what I've read, I think I'd agree that loading prepaid cards is definitely preferable to getting a MO. Namely because most people are already adjusted to sliding a card, but requesting a money order is somewhat out of the ordinary.

A question for the thread though: I just bought 5x $500 VGCs from GCM. I could make 5 separate trips to liquidate these, but it would be better if I could do more than one per trip. I'm afraid of it being seen as suspicious though, e.g. what reason would I have for, say, loading $1000 as two separate $500 swipes? I assume that is the process, request $1000 and then advise the cashier I need to load $500 per swipe.

Thanks again!
Load two separate cards.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:22 am

no need to say anything other than "I want to load my BB (or S) with $500 (or other amount)". Just do one $500 swipe at a regular register to make it easy for you and cashier. Although you can do two loads of $500 each, it's best you reserve that for later when you're well versed on this. You can still do more than one load in one trip using different registers at supercenters ~ garden center, auto, jewelry, electronics are the ones I use with ease at my go-to stores.

FYI, you can load S/BB at WM at the regular registers, not just customer service desk or MC. Make sure to check daily and monthly load limits for your card(s) and you'll be fine.

HTH.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:11 am

no need to say anything other than "I want to load my BB (or S) with $500 (or other amount)". Just do one $500 swipe at a regular register to make it easy for you and cashier. Although you can do two loads of $500 each, it's best you reserve that for later when you're well versed on this. You can still do more than one load in one trip using different registers at supercenters ~ garden center, auto, jewelry, electronics are the ones I use with ease at my go-to stores.

FYI, you can load S/BB at WM at the regular registers, not just customer service desk or MC. Make sure to check daily and monthly load limits for your card(s) and you'll be fine.

HTH.
Yes, that definitely helps. It didn't occur to me to just go around to different registers, I was thinking of a single transaction.

Thank you!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I closed my BB account in 2016; it wasn't shut down. I just tried to open a new account, but am unable. Can someone tell me why? I am getting the following message:

Unable to Sign Up

Sorry, we are unable to approve you for an Account at this time.

Thank you for your interest in Bluebird.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:38 pm
Suspended

DP: As of last night, BB and Serve cards can *still be loaded with Bancorp OVs without asking for PIN at SELECT WMs. Don't ask store associates, just swipe your card and see if it's working at YOUR WM. This is highly YMMV.

*this has been working the past two months, some reports say it has stopped working for them so you have to check if it's still working in your area.

FWR, vanillas work only for axp prepaids, does NOT work for WM and GoB prepaids.
I agree with it. Some GCs won't even ask for PIN. The safest GCs are still Meta VGCs.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I closed my BB account in 2016; it wasn't shut down. I just tried to open a new account, but am unable. Can someone tell me why? I am getting the following message:

Unable to Sign Up

Sorry, we are unable to approve you for an Account at this time.

Thank you for your interest in Bluebird.
Regrettfully, it appears that while you thought you were not closed down, indeed you were.

I was in the group of original shut-downs and have tried to re-sign last year (on line). I got as far as you did, and then got the same response that you received. However, I know that I am a member of the banned group, so the response was not a surprise.

Just for a DP, why don't you see if you can sign up for a Serve Card? If that fails, then you know your SSN is on a no-fly list. (and please let us know the outcome )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.