Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the 2016 and onwards Bluebird thread.

The original discussion. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread. The previous 2015 megathread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read the wiki before posting a question.

The most recent huge wave of shutdowns occurred in May 2019.

Most accounts used for MS were shut down on Jan 8, 2016. Another wave of shutdowns occurred on March 4, 2016. Using Bluebird for MS is very likely to lead to account closure. There is no clear pattern as to how to avoid the account shut-downs. Some of the dormant accounts were not shut down.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

For information on switching from BB to Serve, see the Serve thread wiki.

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • Cash loading: $2,500 ($1,999.99 at Walmart) per card per day; $9,000 per day all BB cards combined; $5,000 total per calendar month each card; $10,000 calendar month and $100,000 per year all BB cards combined for each SSN.
  • Direct Deposit: $100,000 per year
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Mobile Check Capture by Ingo® Money - $5,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

The cash load limit for a temp card is $1,500 total.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

Print Wikipost

Bluebird master thread (2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
Legit question.
I did use BB to pay bills such as insurance or taxes. Would the insurance company go ballistic if i paid a $5000 bill with 5 $1000 MO's?
IDK, but I just paid my Verizon bill online, and one of the payment options was "Gift Card".
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
Originally Posted by Mamibear
tested my BB and was able to load the full $2.5K for the day. Will do another $2.5K tomorrow and let funds sit there for a week before I B/P
Glad to see you are still going strong. I so hoped ours would load today but neither did, of course we did get the email. I hope you never see that dreaded email on your remaining account.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Nope still easy-peasy to churn B/A, Chase, Citi, and US cards. Buy OVs at CVS, turn into MOs at a Grocery store, and pay the cc bill with the teller at your local branch.
Yes, "easy-peasy" if you ignore what people are trying to tell you re: money orders.

If you think you can dump $5,000 or $10,000 in money orders on your local branch every month without attracting scrutiny, you're in for a big surprise.

It's the AMEX cards that just got harder to MS with, since there are no local branches to use to pay your bill. So not a smart move by AMEX at all, as it just got harder to spend on AMEX cards, and the spend is where they make most of their profits.
Amex plainly doesn't want churners or MSers. They assuredly lose money on the former, and the latter are probably more hassle than they're worth.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptimesharetraveler
Glad to see you are still going strong. I so hoped ours would load today but neither did, of course we did get the email. I hope you never see that dreaded email on your remaining account.
thanks for your positive encouragement.

I just take it one day at a time hoping something will come up again. I figured there's no use to change what I'm doing now because if I'm next in line to get the axe, so be it. I'd rather load the VGCs while I can and see what happens next. No guts, no glory so they say. I'll just keep on swimming
Old Jan 9, 2016, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
From an email sent out by the blogger Frequent Miler today:

"Warning: banks have been known to shut down customers who regularly deposit money orders in large quantities."

Notice it specifically mentions "deposit", and "large quantities", not paying $1K directly to your cc bill at a bank branch. Possibly there have been reports of problems with the later, but I haven't seen any.
You have not read back long enough. Right on this forum it has reported more than once Chase would give you a call should you keep paying your cards with MOs... just sayin.

Oh, there is also a little nuisance paying Citi with MOs because each MO payment is coded as from a different payment account, do that a few times your will find your available credit would not be released up for 10 or more business days even if your payment is from a legit bank account linked to your citi card... as the card account is being flagged by the system - too many payment accounts is the exact reason. I dont know this flag has more to do with "stress signal" or with "money laundering signal" but account being flagged is the outcome. another just sayin.

And in the Chase closure threads, there are reports of account shut down with one of the reasons being "too many payment accounts used" - the payment accounts actually were not that bad, just multiple external bank accounts...

Before you are so confident proclaim paying your BofA, Chase, Citi, US Bank etc with MOs at the branches is piece of cake, you may want to do some more reading on that front...

Last edited by Happy; Jan 9, 2016 at 4:15 pm
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You have not read back long enough. Right on this forum it has reported more than once Chase would give you a call should you keep paying your cards with MOs... just sayin.

Oh, there is also a little nuisance paying Citi with MOs because each MO payment is coded as from a different payment account, do that a few times your will find your available credit would not be released up for 10 or more business days even if your payment is from a legit bank account linked to your citi card... as the card account is being flagged by the system - too many payment accounts is the exact reason. I dont know this flag has more to do with "stress signal" or with "money laundering signal" but account being flagged is the outcome. another just sayin.

And in the Chase closure threads, there are reports of account shut down with one of the reasons being "too many payment accounts used" - the payment accounts actually were not that bad, just multiple external bank accounts...

Before you are so confident proclaim paying your BofA, Chase, Citi, US Bank etc with MOs at the branches is piece of cake, you may want to do some more reading on that front...
That makes no sense. You can Billpay from many places like Walmart and kroger or your own bank and they will all be different pay from accounts.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Party on, boys - and by all means, please post all the details about your next plan!
So, just what exactly do you hope to read here in a forum entitled "Manufactured Spending"
Old Jan 9, 2016, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsk1973
...If you think you can dump $5,000 or $10,000 in money orders on your local branch every month without attracting scrutiny, you're in for a big surprise...
I averaged over $63,000 in MO deposits per month in 2015, almost $50,000 per month in 2014. I didn't keep records for 2013. I was asked about it twice in the first few months, when I was only doing a few thousand a month. I answered honestly and haven't been bothered since.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by WickedGringo
So, just what exactly do you hope to read here in a forum entitled "Manufactured Spending"
Well, if I had my druthers, they would be nothing here to read, and this forum would never have been started. This forum is a perfect magnet for the card issuers, banks, and other key participants in the game, providing a crystal-clear blueprint for them to discover, understand, assess, and then kill every opportunity. You think the companies involved don't read this forum?

The blogs and this forum are the best thing the big companies have going for them - they're a perfect guide to killing every opportunity. Things that are endlessly discussed here, and plastered all over blogs with step-by-step instructions get killed. Things that don't get that kind of attention go quietly on. It's that simple.

But the large corporate entity that owns this forum has a vested interest in getting as many eyeballs on it as possible, no matter the consequences - that's why it was created, and why they'll never restrict it. And the bloggers have a huge, personal, vested interest in publicizing every exploit possible - if they don't, they'll have to move back into their mom's basement and find a real job.

If you think either is acting out of the goodness of their hearts, I think you're naive. But the apologists will be along any minute now to tell you how the bloggers and corporate owners of this site are really great guys, just motivated by trying to help everyone, and all the attention they focused on the birds had nothing to do with yesterday's shutdown. Feel free to believe that if you want.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I averaged over $63,000 in MO deposits per month in 2015, almost $50,000 per month in 2014. I didn't keep records for 2013. I was asked about it twice in the first few months, when I was only doing a few thousand a month. I answered honestly and haven't been bothered since.
I don't get this. You can only get MO for 1k right? You're doing 5x money orders per trip, or doing 63 trips? I have almost unlimited funds to do this, but I'm trying to figure out how to get past 30k a month.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by isriam
I don't get this. You can only get MO for 1k right? You're doing 5x money orders per trip, or doing 63 trips? I have almost unlimited funds to do this, but I'm trying to figure out how to get past 30k a month.
you need to find a source that will sell you more the 1k per trip, ymmv by location.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Well, if I had my druthers, they would be nothing here to read, and this forum would never have been started. This forum is a perfect magnet for the card issuers, banks, and other key participants in the game, providing a crystal-clear blueprint for them to discover, understand, assess, and then kill every opportunity. You think the companies involved don't read this forum?

The blogs and this forum are the best thing the big companies have going for them - they're a perfect guide to killing every opportunity. Things that are endlessly discussed here, and plastered all over blogs with step-by-step instructions get killed. Things that don't get that kind of attention go quietly on. It's that simple.

But the large corporate entity that owns this forum has a vested interest in getting as many eyeballs on it as possible, no matter the consequences - that's why it was created, and why they'll never restrict it. And the bloggers have a huge, personal, vested interest in publicizing every exploit possible - if they don't, they'll have to move back into their mom's basement and find a real job.

If you think either is acting out of the goodness of their hearts, I think you're naive. But the apologists will be along any minute now to tell you how the bloggers and corporate owners of this site are really great guys, just motivated by trying to help everyone, and all the attention they focused on the birds had nothing to do with yesterday's shutdown. Feel free to believe that if you want.
+1. Very well said. Could not agree more.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 5:33 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by radonc1
Legit question.
I did use BB to pay bills such as insurance or taxes. Would the insurance company go ballistic if i paid a $5000 bill with 5 $1000 MO's?
Originally Posted by Mamibear
ask your agent if they'll accept MOs as payment first. once approved, they'll take whatever amount you pay.

for me, I pay with VGCs all the time to AAA for my home and auto premiums so I don't pay extra for MOs.
Thanks for that information.
I just found out that my Disability Ins. specifically says no cash or money orders. It is written by a huge insurance company and takes only checks.

I don't want to raise eyebrows so I am not calling and finding out if alternative payment methods are acceptable.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 9:19 am

^ Thanks for sharing that. How many banks was that spread across?
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:28 am

Paul - Tell us your secret...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.