Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the 2016 and onwards Bluebird thread.

The original discussion. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread. The previous 2015 megathread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read the wiki before posting a question.

The most recent huge wave of shutdowns occurred in May 2019.

Most accounts used for MS were shut down on Jan 8, 2016. Another wave of shutdowns occurred on March 4, 2016. Using Bluebird for MS is very likely to lead to account closure. There is no clear pattern as to how to avoid the account shut-downs. Some of the dormant accounts were not shut down.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

For information on switching from BB to Serve, see the Serve thread wiki.

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • Cash loading: $2,500 ($1,999.99 at Walmart) per card per day; $9,000 per day all BB cards combined; $5,000 total per calendar month each card; $10,000 calendar month and $100,000 per year all BB cards combined for each SSN.
  • Direct Deposit: $100,000 per year
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Mobile Check Capture by Ingo® Money - $5,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

The cash load limit for a temp card is $1,500 total.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

Print Wikipost

Bluebird master thread (2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat Hyatt Diamond Marriot Plat elite Hilton DIamond and IHG Plat
OK. So, I did some MS 3 years ago and things were going fine until Serve "observed unusual usage patterns' on my account and closed me down. I got a PM yesterday stating that I can now use Bluebird to load my GCs that I typically get from Simon Malls (lots in the area and on the way to work).
Is this still a valid strategy? Buy Simon GCs, go to WM, load to BB, use BB to pay off bills et al. Try not to get greedy or stupid and bank lots of miles.

What part of this master plan is not valid?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:43 pm

OK. So, I did some MS 3 years ago and things were going fine until Serve "observed unusual usage patterns' on my account and closed me down. I got a PM yesterday stating that I can now use Bluebird to load my GCs that I typically get from Simon Malls (lots in the area and on the way to work).
Is this still a valid strategy? Buy Simon GCs, go to WM, load to BB, use BB to pay off bills et al. Try not to get greedy or stupid and bank lots of miles.
Can I still get a BB account if I got booted from Serve?

Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by radonc1
Regrettfully, it appears that while you thought you were not closed down, indeed you were.

I was in the group of original shut-downs and have tried to re-sign last year (on line). I got as far as you did, and then got the same response that you received. However, I know that I am a member of the banned group, so the response was not a surprise.

Just for a DP, why don't you see if you can sign up for a Serve Card? If that fails, then you know your SSN is on a no-fly list. (and please let us know the outcome )
OK, that's what I suspected. I did try to open a Serve account (didn't bother posting that detail, as I did it shortly after my original post) with the same unfortunate effect. I figured that I had been banned. I tried my wife's SSN (which I also had a BB card with) and unfortunately, got her banned also.

The odd thing is that AmEx has issued me a Hilton Surpass card since then so I guess it's only a ban for my MSing. I don't MS with the AmEx card and from my understanding they've stopped issuing points for my previously favored MS card, the Simon Mall Card.

Oh well, I suppose I can do this the easy way and just pay quarterly taxes with a credit card. I don't like the charges/cost of that one so I'll limit my MSing until I find something else - I'm not a fan of the money order liquidation route.

Thank you very much for the response; most appreciated.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Burittoman
Can I still get a BB account if I got booted from Serve?

I read somewhere (no citation) that if you're MSing on an AmEx card, they won't give you credit for Simon Mall GC purchases. I don't know about Chase and other CCs.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I read somewhere (no citation) that if you're MSing on an AmEx card, they won't give you credit for Simon Mall GC purchases. I don't know about Chase and other CCs.
OK. That part I can handle easily. But what about the rest of the execution. Does that seem valid?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:48 am

Is withdrawing from BB to a bank account via ACH transfer not advised? I just withdrew $2500 to my main bank account, but I'm seeing references to billpay and such. I'd rather just keep charging those things to my amex CC and just pay the CC off the usual way, ie ACH payment from my main bank account. I'd hope I'm not asking to be shut down this way.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by taxquestion332123
Is withdrawing from BB to a bank account via ACH transfer not advised? I just withdrew $2500 to my main bank account, but I'm seeing references to billpay and such. I'd rather just keep charging those things to my amex CC and just pay the CC off the usual way, ie ACH payment from my main bank account. I'd hope I'm not asking to be shut down this way.
I am going to answer this question with some of my logic (but that does not mean that Amex uses this at all )

The reason that Serve and BB exist is to provide banking services to those who either do not qualify for a bank account (too little money, awful credit, etc.) or who don't want to pay for a regular checking account. or finally those who just are not financially competent.
So here you are, and you are using BB and withdrawing money you deposited (with GCs, no doubt) to a bank savings account .

If I were an auditor, and was looking at such an account, I would be asking why this person needs BB when he/she is depositing thousands of dollars every month into it and then withdrawing similar amounts and sending it directly to a bank
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Burittoman

OK. That part I can handle easily. But what about the rest of the execution. Does that seem valid?
The rest seems valid, except for one critical point. If you were banned from Serve, you're likely blacklisted by AmEx for both Serve and BB, just like me. I never had a Serve card but my MSing with BB got me banned from both.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: none
i have BB and Serve, i never xfer money to my bank, i loaded VGC to them, wait few days, then pay credit cards from BB or serve account directly, I always left 0 balance before the statement date to avoid serve monthly fee in case not load over 500 for the cycle. Had them about 8 months, not big Mser, so far, so good.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
I am going to answer this question with some of my logic (but that does not mean that Amex uses this at all )

The reason that Serve and BB exist is to provide banking services to those who either do not qualify for a bank account (too little money, awful credit, etc.) or who don't want to pay for a regular checking account. or finally those who just are not financially competent.
So here you are, and you are using BB and withdrawing money you deposited (with GCs, no doubt) to a bank savings account .

If I were an auditor, and was looking at such an account, I would be asking why this person needs BB when he/she is depositing thousands of dollars every month into it and then withdrawing similar amounts and sending it directly to a bank
Totally makes sense. I just greatly prefer ACH'ing money around as opposed to using the BB bill pay feature or withdrawing cash. Enough so that I think I'm willing to take my chances.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Totally makes sense. I just greatly prefer ACH'ing money around as opposed to using the BB bill pay feature or withdrawing cash. Enough so that I think I'm willing to take my chances.
IMO, having a BB or Serve account is far more valuable than one thinks, especially when one is banned from getting one.

When I had my BB account, I actually used my BB as a checking account, depositing money in the form of GCs and then writing checks or paying bills (not credit card statements either). The problem with me was that the bills being paid were large (in the thousands of dollars in some cases). I suspect that my payment activity was several standard deviations above what Amex considered a "standard BB user" (which means that someone with my level of activity should easily qualify for a standard bank checking account) and therefore they chopped my head off in the massacree of 2016.

If I knew then what I know now, my fiscal behavior would have been light-years different with my BB account.

As with most things, you rarely get more than one shot in life
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:06 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Not sure how you do the ACH payments. Most people just pay bills via BB. You can also use BB as a Credit/Debit card at stores and online. But you take away the spending opportunity.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:46 am

Yup. Just applied for BB and was denied. I think they are on to me. If no BB and no Serve, what is the next work-around to do some MS?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:58 pm

Okay I have a couple questions. What a great resource!
I currently have Serve. Can I also now sign up for Bluebird?
Serve is reloadable with gift cards at my Family Dollar. Is Bluebird also? FD doesn't charge me a fee for Serve. Will they for Bluebird?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Just do an ACH pull from BB to CC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.