Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the 2016 and onwards Bluebird thread.

The original discussion. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread. The previous 2015 megathread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read the wiki before posting a question.

The most recent huge wave of shutdowns occurred in May 2019.

Most accounts used for MS were shut down on Jan 8, 2016. Another wave of shutdowns occurred on March 4, 2016. Using Bluebird for MS is very likely to lead to account closure. There is no clear pattern as to how to avoid the account shut-downs. Some of the dormant accounts were not shut down.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

For information on switching from BB to Serve, see the Serve thread wiki.

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • Cash loading: $2,500 ($1,999.99 at Walmart) per card per day; $9,000 per day all BB cards combined; $5,000 total per calendar month each card; $10,000 calendar month and $100,000 per year all BB cards combined for each SSN.
  • Direct Deposit: $100,000 per year
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Mobile Check Capture by Ingo Money - $5,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

The cash load limit for a temp card is $1,500 total.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

Print Wikipost

Bluebird master thread (2016 onwards)

Old Nov 23, 2022, 1:30 pm
kpe

Max purchase of VGC is limited to $1800 (and not $2K) per transaction at Staples.

MBVGC (Yellow Tint) still works fine for AmexBB loading at regular terminal in the full amount.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 4:14 pm

Wondering if anyone can advise.

Just got a bunch of prepaid Mastercard gift cards issued by Pathward. Attempted to load $90 onto Bluebird at the MC but kept getting declined. Went straight to credit it seems. I know this is a Mastercard issue, but I got no option to change the type of tender and nothing I tried from the wiki worked (cancel quickly, or anything), unless I'm doing something wrong.

I've previously used Visa gift cards to load Bluebird without issue.

Any help would be utmost appreciated.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Munchys

Just got a bunch of prepaid Mastercard gift cards issued by Pathward. Attempted to load $90 onto Bluebird at the MC but kept getting declined. Went straight to credit it seems. I know this is a Mastercard issue, but I got no option to change the type of tender and nothing I tried from the wiki worked (cancel quickly, or anything), unless I'm doing something wrong.

You need to swipe your card and hit cancel/change payment before the cashier gets to the payment screen. You can ask them to wait to hit the card payment button until after you've swiped. "It worked before if I swipe it first."
Old Nov 28, 2022, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
You need to swipe your card and hit cancel/change payment before the cashier gets to the payment screen. You can ask them to wait to hit the card payment button until after you've swiped. "It worked before if I swipe it first."
Ahh. Okay. Gotcha. I really appreciate your reply.

Just to clarify (sorry, just trying to be ultra specific), I swipe my Bluebird (wait for it to authorize) then immediately swipe the gift card? Like at what stage does the cashier get to that screen so I can do it beforehand/ask them to hold on a sec.

Thank you!
Old Nov 29, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Ahh. Okay. Gotcha. I really appreciate your reply.

Just to clarify (sorry, just trying to be ultra specific), I swipe my Bluebird (wait for it to authorize) then immediately swipe the gift card? Like at what stage does the cashier get to that screen so I can do it beforehand/ask them to hold on a sec.

Thank you!
Do a single card for loading. Tell the cashier that you want to load your BB card. They will either know what to do or they can just tell you go to the CS desk (obviously if a BH GC card, not an option for you!)
If they know what to do, they will lead you through the process. Just follow their lead as far as swiping is concerned and entering the PIN.

Just for your information, I only load a single GC to each BB card, and never more than 2 BB cards with the same cashier, and that is only if there is no one behind me waiting. However, there are DPs where people do multiple swipes and load multiple cards.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
Do a single card for loading. Tell the cashier that you want to load your BB card. They will either know what to do or they can just tell you go to the CS desk (obviously if a BH GC card, not an option for you!)
If they know what to do, they will lead you through the process. Just follow their lead as far as swiping is concerned and entering the PIN.

Just for your information, I only load a single GC to each BB card, and never more than 2 BB cards with the same cashier, and that is only if there is no one behind me waiting. However, there are DPs where people do multiple swipes and load multiple cards.
Thanks for the reply.

Not sure if my question was understood. I'm only trying to load one Mastercard gift card onto my Bluebird. The issue is that it seems like it's defaulting to credit and failing, and I never have the option, whether forced or automatic, to change it to debit. Just trying to zero in on what exactly I need to do and at what point.

Edit: Just to touch on what you said about BH (I'm assuming that means Blackhawk?), these are in fact issued by Pathward/Blackhawk. Is that the issue? Or would these just be limited to $99 swipes at CS/MC.

I tried both - a normal register and the MC but both failed.

Last edited by Munchys; Nov 29, 2022 at 6:53 pm
Old Dec 3, 2022, 11:06 am

do u have amex BB or visa's? the visa's won't work with mcgc
Old Dec 3, 2022, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
do u have amex BB or visa's? the visa's won't work with mcgc
Got the Amex flavor.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 9:34 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Not sure if my question was understood. I'm only trying to load one Mastercard gift card onto my Bluebird. The issue is that it seems like it's defaulting to credit and failing, and I never have the option, whether forced or automatic, to change it to debit. Just trying to zero in on what exactly I need to do and at what point.

Edit: Just to touch on what you said about BH (I'm assuming that means Blackhawk?), these are in fact issued by Pathward/Blackhawk. Is that the issue? Or would these just be limited to $99 swipes at CS/MC.

I tried both - a normal register and the MC but both failed.
You: I would like to add money to my debit card (Amex BB)
Cashier: Swipe your card. How much?
You: *Tell cashier amount*
Cashier: Confirm amount on the screen
You: Swipe MCGC and wait for 'cancel' to blink on screen. It will blink once and it will be quick so pay attention. After it blinks, press cancel and it will take you to a change payment screen. Select Debit. Payment should go through.

If not, try again. I have had success at MC and Cashier. Sometimes it takes 2-3 times.

*Sometimes it helps if you ask cashier to wait until after you swipe to hit debit. Also if you ask cashier to hit debit on the keypad instead of the touchscreen the success rate is much higher. Speaking from experience, YMMV.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
Originally Posted by mcgyvr116
You: Swipe MCGC and wait for 'cancel' to blink on screen. It will blink once and it will be quick so pay attention. After it blinks, press cancel and it will take you to a change payment screen. Select Debit. Payment should go through.

If not, try again. I have had success at MC and Cashier. Sometimes it takes 2-3 times.

*Sometimes it helps if you ask cashier to wait until after you swipe to hit debit. Also if you ask cashier to hit debit on the keypad instead of the touchscreen the success rate is much higher. Speaking from experience, YMMV.
Just to update. Went to my local WM and it worked flawlessly. Took some trial and error (and my friendly cashier). Like you both mentioned, had to ask him to wait until I swiped.

Genuinely appreciate the help
Old Dec 8, 2022, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by mcgyvr116

i'm assume you swipe the MCGC before the screen on your side ask you to confirm the load amount?
Old Dec 8, 2022, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by SchoolyardBully8
i'm assume you swipe the MCGC before the screen on your side ask you to confirm the load amount?
No. Confirm load amount before swiping
Old Dec 21, 2022, 9:02 pm
kpe

Originally Posted by kpe
Tried MBVGC from Staples for AmBB load at MC. Worked for full $200 amt in one swipe. Fluke or software change? Ingenico terminal.
Tried today with the same as mentioned above. Was able to load full amt twice at the MC in two separate transactions.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 9:12 pm

Tried $200 vgc from Staples. 2/5 - worked. 3/5 - 01 debit not available.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 8:38 am
kpe

Originally Posted by Priveye03
Tried $200 vgc from Staples. 2/5 - worked. 3/5 - 01 debit not available.
That's a common error. Just swipe again using the same card. I have swiped up to 4 times b4 the transaction goes through bcoz of this debit not available error.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.