Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the 2016 and onwards Bluebird thread.

The original discussion. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread. The previous 2015 megathread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read the wiki before posting a question.

The most recent huge wave of shutdowns occurred in May 2019.

Most accounts used for MS were shut down on Jan 8, 2016. Another wave of shutdowns occurred on March 4, 2016. Using Bluebird for MS is very likely to lead to account closure. There is no clear pattern as to how to avoid the account shut-downs. Some of the dormant accounts were not shut down.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

For information on switching from BB to Serve, see the Serve thread wiki.

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • Cash loading: $2,500 ($1,999.99 at Walmart) per card per day; $9,000 per day all BB cards combined; $5,000 total per calendar month each card; $10,000 calendar month and $100,000 per year all BB cards combined for each SSN.
  • Direct Deposit: $100,000 per year
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Mobile Check Capture by Ingo® Money - $5,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

The cash load limit for a temp card is $1,500 total.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

Print Wikipost

Bluebird master thread (2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2021, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by ricohitman
Check bin numbers.

Certain bins work at wally now from vanillas.
I'm not all that familiar with bins, what should I be looking for with those?
Old Oct 1, 2021, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
Amex will remain the network and issuer for transactions on these cards. InComm will handle balances for the card, maintaining what people keep on file and subtracting funds upon purchase, according to Bloomberg, as well as managing all distribution and customer service. But Amex is still handling the payment rails, which means it will likely profit from interchange fees and other spending-associated revenues."
But this was before BlueBird released their Visa debit, which only happened recently. Surely, AMEX doesn't have any visibility on those accounts
Old Oct 1, 2021, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by dalvigirish
i was able to use bluebird visa even if it shows as pending.
Yeah, looks like I'll be able to. Transaction status still pending 2+ business days
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:31 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by DubSlick
But this was before BlueBird released their Visa debit, which only happened recently. Surely, AMEX doesn't have any visibility on those accounts
i don't actually know, TBH.
The Bluebird name is registered to American Express. So any deal Visa has with WM is through Amex, since Visa is using the BB name.

If we look at the "About Bluebird" web page, the following is seen....

"Bluebird was developed in partnership with Walmart to bring together the reliability you need and the value you deserve.
Backed by American Express and Visa, Bluebird gives you the flexibility and convenience to help take the stress out of managing your money."

If you scroll to the bottom of the same page, you see under "our products" the
Bluebird Prepaid Debit Account
Bluebird Bank Account

I don't know if WM just made a deal with both Amex and Visa and there are 2 independent operations going on under the BB name or whether Amex has control over the operation (although I would be skeptical of Amex running a Visa operation, TBH).

I guess the real answer lies in how many people who were banned from Amex BB were or are able to open up a BB Visa account?
If most who were axed from Amex BB are now owners of a BB Visa account, then you would appear to be correct. I have not seen too many DPs where banned folks were opening a new Visa BB account.

Maybe we can get some here??
Old Oct 1, 2021, 7:32 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by radonc1
i don't actually know, TBH.
The Bluebird name is registered to American Express. So any deal Visa has with WM is through Amex, since Visa is using the BB name.

If we look at the "About Bluebird" web page, the following is seen....

"Bluebird was developed in partnership with Walmart to bring together the reliability you need and the value you deserve.
Backed by American Express and Visa, Bluebird gives you the flexibility and convenience to help take the stress out of managing your money."

If you scroll to the bottom of the same page, you see under "our products" the
Bluebird Prepaid Debit Account
Bluebird Bank Account

I don't know if WM just made a deal with both Amex and Visa and there are 2 independent operations going on under the BB name or whether Amex has control over the operation (although I would be skeptical of Amex running a Visa operation, TBH).

I guess the real answer lies in how many people who were banned from Amex BB were or are able to open up a BB Visa account?
If most who were axed from Amex BB are now owners of a BB Visa account, then you would appear to be correct. I have not seen too many DPs where banned folks were opening a new Visa BB account.

Maybe we can get some here??
My BB and Serve were shut by AMEX within a few months of each other. I was not doing rampant abuse, but was not their ideal customer either. I did not try to re-open as I have too much to lose with my MR accounts to risk a shutdown
I was able to get a BBV recently, but that is run by Meta who seem to have licensed the BB name from Incomm. I do not think AMEX have anything to do with BBV
Old Oct 2, 2021, 7:15 am

Hi,

I haven't load Blue Bird Serve for a long time, now that GoBank doesn't free fee at Walmart, I am switching back to Blue Bird...

Can we load Secure Spend VGC (issued by MetaBank) to Blue Bird Serve (Visa & Amex)? Is there a $99 limit per load with Secure Spend VGC at Walmart?

Thanks.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by bunny425
Hi,

I haven't load Blue Bird Serve for a long time, now that GoBank doesn't free fee at Walmart, I am switching back to Blue Bird...

Can we load Secure Spend VGC (issued by MetaBank) to Blue Bird Serve (Visa & Amex)? Is there a $99 limit per load with Secure Spend VGC at Walmart?

Thanks.
Yes you can load SS VGCs to BB Serve Visa &Amex, but occasionally they get declined for one reason or another. I believe this is usually for reasons such as the network is down or the CSR puts in the wrong code to load them, but my success with them has been very good the last couple months when loading $500 at a time.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:18 pm

Can't use bluebird visa for large money order

I am getting fraud alerts if I use my bluebird visa to get large money order (2 money order 1k each) and can't use the card even after clearing fraud alert. While card can be used for money order less than $500. I guess this change when in sep before that I could use my card large amount. Does anyone face the same issue? Calling customer care did not helped.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by dalvigirish
I am getting fraud alerts if I use my bluebird visa to get large money order (2 money order 1k each) and can't use the card even after clearing fraud alert. While card can be used for money order less than $500. I guess this change when in sep before that I could use my card large amount. Does anyone face the same issue? Calling customer care did not helped.
Just billpay.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:42 pm

Hi what are the safe ways to get the money out of Blue Bird without getting shutting down? Can we withdraw money to bank or link to paypal? Will these activities get shut down?

Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2021, 8:01 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by bunny425
Hi what are the safe ways to get the money out of Blue Bird without getting shutting down? Can we withdraw money to bank or link to paypal? Will these activities get shut down?

Thanks!
see the post directly above yours - probably best to avoid +1k billpays, but thats just my opinion, YMMV

Anything that turns MS earnings into non-traceable cash is always more risky
Old Oct 13, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Just about ready to switch back to BB because of the new load fees for GoBank. I remember reading quite some months ago that some people were running into difficulty paying bills via the BB website. Is that still the case? (Hopefully not) Any tips regarding BB billpay?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
Just about ready to switch back to BB because of the new load fees for GoBank. I remember reading quite some months ago that some people were running into difficulty paying bills via the BB website. Is that still the case? (Hopefully not) Any tips regarding BB billpay?
Be forewarned! Below only pertains to Amex BB and not Visa BB, and my experience with BP was by using checks and not electronically.

Some DPs from my experience with Amex BB with BP and BB prior to beheading in 2016. I do not know now what their behavior is since I don't do the following anymore with my one account that is alive at this time.

BB does not like anything large. While my deposits were GCs and usually lots of them, my BPs were legit non-credit card (insurance bills, for example) payments. Didn't matter to BB.
So, I would keep the payments small. I suspect that this would also apply to deposits. Making multiple deposits of $1000 was definitely frowned upon

They also seemed to chaff when making multiple payments to the same biller in one month.

As noted, I treat my Amex BB with cautious respect, but remember that Amex no longer owns this operation, although they still do service it. I have not seen any recent shut down reports although I imagine that the worst actors have been permanently banned from BB and that may explain why those DPs are missing.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 9:05 pm

on amex BB, is the loading limit total for the month changed? added $2k to the acct earlier this month, but addl loading so far got cancelled & spit out a little receipt printing "exceeded loading limit'; are folks with amex BB able to load >$2k this mo?

last mo, mine was able to load >$2k...

Last edited by danhouston; Nov 4, 2021 at 9:18 pm
Old Nov 5, 2021, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
on amex BB, is the loading limit total for the month changed? added $2k to the acct earlier this month, but addl loading so far got cancelled & spit out a little receipt printing "exceeded loading limit'; are folks with amex BB able to load >$2k this mo?

last mo, mine was able to load >$2k...
From the following "member agreement" (#10D)

"Each transaction using Swipe Reload must be at least $1. Each transaction using other Cash Funding Sources must be at least $20.00. The maximum amount of funds you may add to your Account via Cash Funding Sources is $2,500 on any day and $5,000 in any calendar month, subject to the Add Money limits set forth in Section 18.b."

Either you have exceeded you $5000 monthly allotment or your $2500 daily maximum. I saw nothing in 18.b that would have lowered the previously noted limits.

If the rules have changed, Bluebird has not yet modified their on-line written version.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.